shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for this baguette chrysoberyl?

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Dear fellow CSers, I am relatively new to colored stones and jewelry in general, in the short time I've been on this forum I have learned a lot, so am hoping to get some advice:)
I recently bought a green chrysoberyl in a baguette cut. Pictures attached below. The color looks more or less true on my phone but a bit lighter on my computer display. It is a light green with just a tiny bit of yellow tone.
My problem is, I have no idea how to set it. I tried searching for baguette settings but all the results are side baguettes, or if the center is also baguette it's not as long in shape. My main questions are:
1. What would be a good design for such shapes? I'm fine with both east-west and north-south.
2. What color gold would be more flattering?
3. There is a small inclusion (see bottom-left of the stone in first picture), I don't really mind but if there's a beautiful setting that covers it that would be a plus.
4. Since the color is lighter in the middle, would my skin color show through and make the stone look darker/brownish? Should/can I do something about it?
I realize I need to make a decision based on my own preferences but would love to hear people's opinion. Thanks in advance!

chryso1.jpg chryso2.jpg chryso3.jpg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Baguettes fit very well in art deco styles. Take a look:

1659248823317.png

More pictures found here: https://anuevajewelry.com/products/1-91ct-art-deco-three-stone-sapphire-ring

1659248856920.png
More pictures found here: https://www.langantiques.com/platinum-1-04-ct-long-emerald-cut-emerald-baguette-diamond-ring.html

1659248881336.png

I think either white or yellow metal is your choice. I don't see this particular stone in rose gold.

As to the colour being lighter in the middle, it seems to me that that's a window - if you can see through the stone, it's windowed. If it bothers you visually, a way to deal with it is to incorporate a flat base/some sort of basket for the stone, so that it's backed by metal and the reflective surface of the metal can hide the window. This is usually done with white gold because it won't affect the colour, but some stones are occasionally set in yellow gold baskets precisely because it enhances the colour.

Actually, you can try for yourself to see how it will look. Just get a piece of aluminum foil and it will give you the idea.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

1659248823317.png

More pictures found here: https://anuevajewelry.com/products/1-91ct-art-deco-three-stone-sapphire-ring

1659248856920.png
More pictures found here: https://www.langantiques.com/platinum-1-04-ct-long-emerald-cut-emerald-baguette-diamond-ring.html

1659248881336.png

I think either white or yellow metal is your choice. I don't see this particular stone in rose gold.

As to the colour being lighter in the middle, it seems to me that that's a window - if you can see through the stone, it's windowed. If it bothers you visually, a way to deal with it is to incorporate a flat base/some sort of basket for the stone, so that it's backed by metal and the reflective surface of the metal can hide the window. This is usually done with white gold because it won't affect the colour, but some stones are occasionally set in yellow gold baskets precisely because it enhances the colour.

Actually, you can try for yourself to see how it will look. Just get a piece of aluminum foil and it will give you the idea.

those are making my heart go flutter !

good luck @Timor
i very much look forward to seeing what you so
its a lovellu colour

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not mine, and ? used to belong to @mochiko42 (not sure if it has been rehomed or not), it is a baguette cut Emerald (think it was from Yvonne) with baguette sides:

This one is mine, an inexpensive EC Aqua from Jeff D:

I have two long EC CSs cut by Jeff W waiting to be set, one is an Imperial Topaz that I would like to be a ring-pendant if possible, and the other one is a blue-green Tourmaline that is going to be set with baguette sides like mochiko42's ring with 2+1 stones, as I doubt if I would be able to find a such a long baguette for the first step.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some inspiration rings that I have saved for future reference:

11_3__92131.1592983741.jpg

lang-collection-2-85-carat-emerald-cut-diamond-diamond-ring-gia-l-vs2_2_10-8-13667.jpg

Pink-Flame-Sapphire-Ring9.gif

Sapphire-Sensation-Platinum-Ring-II-22b.gif

Timor

Shiny_Rock

1659248823317.png

1659248856920.png

1659248881336.png

Thank you so much Avondale! This is super helpful. I think the double prongs look very cool, and am considering getting one in YG with a WG band. I liked the one with a half bezel (?) as well (where only the top and bottom were lined), but didn't want to add to the height of it. Still debating about single or multiple side stones.
And I agree with you the stone may have a window. I guess we all learn lessons with early purchases... Glad to know it could be hidden though, I will check that out.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
This is not mine, and ? used to belong to @mochiko42 (not sure if it has been rehomed or not), it is a baguette cut Emerald (think it was from Yvonne) with baguette sides:

mochiko42's Emerald Ring.jpg

This one is mine, an inexpensive EC Aqua from Jeff D:

jdaquaring_01.jpg

I have two long EC CSs cut by Jeff W waiting to be set, one is an Imperial Topaz that I would like to be a ring-pendant if possible, and the other one is a blue-green Tourmaline that is going to be set with baguette sides like mochiko42's ring with 2+1 stones, as I doubt if I would be able to find a such a long baguette for the first step.

OMG that is a beautiful emerald...
Thanks a lot for the reference, I'm debating between single or multiple steps on the side.
Look forward to seeing your topaz and tourmaline as well!

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Here are some inspiration rings that I have saved for future reference:

11_3__92131.1592983741.jpg

lang-collection-2-85-carat-emerald-cut-diamond-diamond-ring-gia-l-vs2_2_10-8-13667.jpg

Pink-Flame-Sapphire-Ring9.gif

Sapphire-Sensation-Platinum-Ring-II-22b.gif

These are beautiful! I think I like the first one best, very unique. But the others are nice too, I like the two-step one as well. Thanks a lot for the reference!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG that is a beautiful emerald...
Thanks a lot for the reference, I'm debating between single or multiple steps on the side.
Look forward to seeing your topaz and tourmaline as well!

It depends on your preference for finger coverage.

Looking at the pics in your original post, I believe 2 steps would be nicer than a single step.

Have you considered another colour as sides, like green as in grassy green such Peridot, to bring out the colour of your stone? Just an idea.

Personal preferences and all that.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
It depends on your preference for finger coverage.

Looking at the pics in your original post, I believe 2 steps would be nicer than a single step.

Have you considered another colour as sides, like green as in grassy green such Peridot, to bring out the colour of your stone? Just an idea.

Personal preferences and all that.

This is a neat idea! I think colored side-stones are lovely, with this one though the main stone is not very deep in color, so I'm lost as too what colors may complement that... I've seen light stones with dark halos but haven't see that with steps.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a neat idea! I think colored side-stones are lovely, with this one though the main stone is not very deep in color, so I'm lost as too what colors may complement that... I've seen light stones with dark halos but haven't see that with steps.

For a complete halo, I would be inclined to use more saturated Tsavorite or Peridot with a yellow centre stone.

For steps, I would probably use lighter/less saturated stones so that they do not overwhelm the colour of the centre stone unless it is a very saturated and intense yellow.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
For a complete halo, I would be inclined to use more saturated Tsavorite or Peridot with a yellow centre stone.

For steps, I would probably use lighter/less saturated stones so that they do not overwhelm the colour of the centre stone unless it is a very saturated and intense yellow.

Yeah I agree, this particular stone might be too light for colorful sides, but I'm keeping this idea for future projects.

Crochet_Sparkles

Rough_Rock
A few other Art Deco designs:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dear fellow CSers, I am relatively new to colored stones and jewelry in general, in the short time I've been on this forum I have learned a lot, so am hoping to get some advice:)
I recently bought a green chrysoberyl in a baguette cut. Pictures attached below. The color looks more or less true on my phone but a bit lighter on my computer display. It is a light green with just a tiny bit of yellow tone.
My problem is, I have no idea how to set it. I tried searching for baguette settings but all the results are side baguettes, or if the center is also baguette it's not as long in shape. My main questions are:
1. What would be a good design for such shapes? I'm fine with both east-west and north-south.
2. What color gold would be more flattering?
3. There is a small inclusion (see bottom-left of the stone in first picture), I don't really mind but if there's a beautiful setting that covers it that would be a plus.
4. Since the color is lighter in the middle, would my skin color show through and make the stone look darker/brownish? Should/can I do something about it?
I realize I need to make a decision based on my own preferences but would love to hear people's opinion. Thanks in advance!

chryso1.jpg chryso2.jpg chryso3.jpg

now ive thought about it and reading DK's thoughts i love the idea of the two steps
one diamond
one coloured
a pale lavender something ?
i beleave purple and green were the colours of woman's suffrage

Timor

Shiny_Rock

These look amazing! The small picture of the first one made me think that perhaps I could do a horizontal stack for side baguettes, hmm.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
now ive thought about it and reading DK's thoughts i love the idea of the two steps
one diamond
one coloured
a pale lavender something ?
i beleave purple and green were the colours of woman's suffrage

Now I'm sold on the idea of one colored and one white, with either blue or purple.
I looked up the woman's suffrage colors and they are green, purple and white in the UK and gold, white and violet in the US. Not from these countries but what an inspiring idea to link the colors to our rights!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

we briefly alnost brought sn art deco house (we call them Spanish bungalows) anyway promise on Pitt (street) was more like heartbreak on Pitt but ever since ive taken a real notice and appreciation of art deco motifs, no way would i have just painted everything grey
when i was a kid in the 70s & 80s it was so old fashioned, now its so timeless and classic
i love these rings

Timor

Shiny_Rock
we briefly alnost brought sn art deco house (we call them Spanish bungalows) anyway promise on Pitt (street) was more like heartbreak on Pitt but ever since ive taken a real notice and appreciation of art deco motifs, no way would i have just painted everything grey
when i was a kid in the 70s & 80s it was so old fashioned, now its so timeless and classic
i love these rings

Wow an art deco house must have been so cool! Sorry it didn't work out though.
I really really like the first one. I'm imagining either just using this palette (white stone and YG, just changing the center stone), or changing the four corner sidestones to purple/lavender/metal grey with hint of purple and WG (to avoid too much color). Any thoughts?:)

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote for baguettes...or maybe traps as side stones!!! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for baguettes...or maybe traps as side stones!!! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks so much for the input Eli! It is so exciting to think about gem projects, I never knew haha

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
Oooh! I have a few designs from Ken and Dana that I have been saving for later, specifically for emerald cut rings. I love a split shank or a chunky band with Emerald cuts. I would def do yellow gold, as that has a lot of warm green/gold tones it that will really be brought out. These guys also do custom work and their designs are so drool worthy

1659490763622.png

1659490802094.png

Daimond-Friend

Rough_Rock
I’d personally do a sleek east west bezel ring with a matte finish

Yes! Omg in 22K yellow gold. Wouldn't be super durable, but it would be so stunning.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Oooh! I have a few designs from Ken and Dana that I have been saving for later, specifically for emerald cut rings. I love a split shank or a chunky band with Emerald cuts. I would def do yellow gold, as that has a lot of warm green/gold tones it that will really be brought out. These guys also do custom work and their designs are so drool worthy

1659490763622.png

1659490802094.png

I'm blown away by the first one, so pretty! The prongs look like little hearts. I see it better with another stone though so maybe not this time, but it's saved to my photo album for the future.
Love the look of the second one too but I'm nitpicky about the arms being smooth and comfortable so no ridges haha. The steps look lovely. I am swaying so much between this and the stacked one shared by crochet_sparkles.
Thank you a lot for the recommendations!

Timor

Shiny_Rock
I’d personally do a sleek east west bezel ring with a matte finish

I actually have a east west in the making with a green sapphire. Can't remember the setting in english though, half bezel? Clip?
Anyway it's supposed to be ready any day now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results