shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I got a great set of tear drop orange sapphires yesterday. They are just over 4 ctw and I want to make them into earrings. Do you have any suggestions for settings or is there a website you love to search to look for ideas? Thanks in advance!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
For stock settings look at Stuller and Adwar. For custom, you can get inspiration anywhere but some good places to look are the Eye Candy threads in both the colored stones forum and Show me the ring forum. The Specturm Awards at AGTA.org is another good place as well as various antique sites (Trocadero, Lang, Three Graces, Ruby Lane, etc.)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Do you know the dimensions - 7x9mm, etc? Are you interested in dangly earrings, charms (could be worn from post or hoop earrings), or just studs? If it were me, I''d love to have some charms - they''re very versatile. And orange sapphires sound yummy!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I would dangle them with the fat end pointed down and maybe add a small diamond at the pointy end.

Ah they sound wonderful. Congrats!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm . . . if you already have diamond studs you might want to make them into hanging drops that you can use like earring jackets. That would give you more versatility.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree on the dangle earrings with the point at the top.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I definitely want to do dangle earrings. I''m not much of a stud person. does anyone have pictures to show what they are talking about. I need visuals!!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 6:28:35 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
I definitely want to do dangle earrings. I''m not much of a stud person. does anyone have pictures to show what they are talking about. I need visuals!!!
Here you go with a visual. These are garnet pear drops attached to my diamond studs. More pictures of my Royal Rhodolite suite are here. Link

IMG_4623a.JPG

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Gotcha! thanks Fly Girl. I really love those and now I understand what you were talking about. I do have a pair of diamond studs that I think i can work this with. For reference how far do they dangle down?

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, FlyGirl, that''s an awesome jewelry set! Do you happen to remember the dimensions of the stones on your earrings and pendant? Because I''ve started researching for my first purchase (pink/rubellite tourmaline) to do earrings and a pendant, and it''s so hard figuring out scale based on the dimensions of various stones.

But let me stop the hijack and say that I just love the idea of using the stones as drop earrings/jackets. I like the idea so much that I''m going to use it for myself!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 7:44:03 PM
Author: AustenNut
Wow, FlyGirl, that's an awesome jewelry set! Do you happen to remember the dimensions of the stones on your earrings and pendant? Because I've started researching for my first purchase (pink/rubellite tourmaline) to do earrings and a pendant, and it's so hard figuring out scale based on the dimensions of various stones.

But let me stop the hijack and say that I just love the idea of using the stones as drop earrings/jackets. I like the idea so much that I'm going to use it for myself!
The pears are all 7 x 10 mm and the studs are 5 mm. The rounds in the 5 stone ring are 4 mm. And, thank you AustenNut and you are most welcome, Sarahbear!
1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great earrings, Flygirl!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 6:43:50 PM
Gotcha! thanks Fly Girl. I really love those and now I understand what you were talking about. I do have a pair of diamond studs that I think i can work this with. For reference how far do they dangle down?
My jeweler adjusted the little gold bar on the dangle so that it looked right on my ear. It took him a couple of tries to get it right. The length is going to vary with your ear lobe size, and exactly where your ears are pieced. Mine are 5 mm long.

ETA - Thanks, marcyc.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl- can you show me a picture of them taken off the stud? I think it will be easier to explain to my jeweler as his english is limited.

Thank you thank you!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 9:16:07 PM
Fly Girl- can you show me a picture of them taken off the stud? I think it will be easier to explain to my jeweler as his english is limited.

Thank you thank you!
Here is one picture.

RRPS4936.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
And here is another. BTW, I would not be surprised if your jeweler has made something like these before. These are just Stuller baskets with a ring on top and a little length added to allow them to dangle down and swing a bit.

I'd love to see pictures of your new teardrop sapphires.

RRPS4940.JPG

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl I LOVE your set. And the earrings look exactly like I imagined them...well they''re not orange but other than that...

Anyway since these attach to studs do they make the studs feel heavy or pitch forward on your ears???

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 9:54:31 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Fly Girl I LOVE your set. And the earrings look exactly like I imagined them...well they''re not orange but other than that...

Anyway since these attach to studs do they make the studs feel heavy or pitch forward on your ears???
Thanks, Stone Hunter. Yes, the studs do feel a bit heavier than without the dangle. My studs don''t pitch forward, but that may be because these dangles are not that heavy. I probably would not pick platinum baskets, or do this with much larger stones, because of the weight issue that you mention. I hate heavy earrings.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
thank you so much Fly Girl! I just love your set by the way...they are a gorgeous color! I definitely have to get something with a similar color now!

Do you think my orange sapphires should be in yellow gold or white gold? My studs are in white gold.

decisions decisions...

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 10:07:25 PM
thank you so much Fly Girl! I just love your set by the way...they are a gorgeous color! I definitely have to get something with a similar color now!

Do you think my orange sapphires should be in yellow gold or white gold? My studs are in white gold.

decisions decisions...
Your choice of color. My diamond studs are set in platinum, and I gave up worrying about mixing metal colors a long time ago. I expect the orange sapphire would look best in yellow gold, just because the point of these baskets is to sort of blend into the background and not to make a statement.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 9:47:12 PM
Author: Fly Girl
And here is another. BTW, I would not be surprised if your jeweler has made something like these before. These are just Stuller baskets with a ring on top and a little length added to allow them to dangle down and swing a bit.

I''d love to see pictures of your new teardrop sapphires.
I''m so bad- I hate taking photos because I''m horrible at it, but i really should take some photos. I just got a bunch of stuff from my local gem dealer (who I picked up the sapphires off of) and some things from Dana, Dan, Gene and Barry. I have been on quite a roll lately. I think a photo session will happen in the near future.
2.gif

And I was leaning towards WG but I think you are right with going the TG route. Maybe tonight I will place the sapphires next to WG and YG and see what does the best for them. Thanks again!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl, I absolutely LOVE your suite
30.gif
Your suit was the inspiration that made me want to get matching earrings for my umbalites, and I''m still working on something dangly like yours!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 10:50:28 PM
Author: Babyblue033
Fly Girl, I absolutely LOVE your suite
30.gif
Your suit was the inspiration that made me want to get matching earrings for my umbalites, and I''m still working on something dangly like yours!
Thanks, babyblue. I appreciate it all the more because these pieces were done on a budget. I''d love to add a line bracelet to the suite. But those take more stones, and more gold and therefore cost more than my current budget will allow.

You should find earrings doable. It just takes time to pick up matching pairs. I''m always on the lookout for nice pairs for earrings. That''s why it would be great to see Sarahbear''s sapphires. (Hint, hint!
9.gif
)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 4:54:54 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Hmmm . . . if you already have diamond studs you might want to make them into hanging drops that you can use like earring jackets. That would give you more versatility.
Ditto, great idea Blu.

I have topaz pears set this way and I am about to set morganite pears the same way.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 12:27:27 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 9/13/2009 4:54:54 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Ditto, great idea Blu.

I have topaz pears set this way and I am about to set morganite pears the same way.
I am so jealous of your morganite pears, Gailey. I haven''t been able to find any morganite pairs, so I finally decided to get some pink pearl teardrops set into earrings as a substitute. Be sure to come back with pictures when your earrings are ready.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results