shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for darker sapphire please!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooooo have you ever clicked around on Pricescope and then found yourself in a lot of strife for no reason?
Well I was reading the thread where someone was looking for a darker coloured spinel, Doug Menadue's name came up from Bespoke Gems and to my delight I found that he was located in Sydney CBD!

So I had a browse of his website to hunt for a random green stone, fell in love with a blue green sapphire, arranged with Doug to visit it and of course came home with a completely different sapphire! The trouble I get myself into without even trying!

He has the most gorgeous pink tourmaline as well but I'm just going to ignore that for now (it is sooooooo pretty and big).

How should I set this baby? It's 6.8mm and 1.61 ct. It can look really dark in some lights but delightful in others. I love the shift in it and when it changes colour it can hit some gorgeous hues!

White gold? Three stone ring with two small diamonds to set off the colour or a white halo to lighten it?

This one I am keen to set because I like waving it around under different lights but I'm actually not sure if it would go with many of my outfits! But I don't want to keep waving a gem box around either! Plus I love it! And it's Aussie!

Also should add Doug was THE NICEST!!!!! He showed me all sorts of gorgeous gems! Including his own little mint green sapphire which was to die for!

20171214_135329.jpg 20171214_133815.jpg 20171214_135234.jpg

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Beautiful sapphire! I like your idea of white metal with a white diamond on each shoulder ... not sure I'd halo it only because I'd want it to get as much light as possible so as to encourage its moody/shifty thing.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hehe sometimes I'm such an idiot I scare myself! Here are the hands hots at home out of the box! Lol the lighting when I viewed it was horrid but it appealed to me anyway so I bought it being quite satisfied with the way it looked!

Imagine my surprise when this happened as I took it out of the box at home!

SQUEEEEEEEE

20171214_162415.jpg 20171214_162453.jpg

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
What a gorgeous color!
And yes...Doug is the nicest! I've been in touch with him as part of my current hunt and you just get this vibe he is a great, trust-worthy guy from whom you will get the best.

I will probably get something from him too when I'm ready for the sapphire.

Setting...how about some tapering pear diamonds on the side? I also love baguettes anything...and I think something with them would look nice here!

Last edited:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone! Agree on white gold. I have a spinel of similar color I’m hoping to set next year so have been poking around for setting ideas. If you have any interest in antique-ish settings, take a look at this Era Gem page, lots of dark sapphires there
https://eragem.com/sapphire-engagement-rings?p=2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone! Agree on white gold. I have a spinel of similar color I’m hoping to set next year so have been poking around for setting ideas. If you have any interest in antique-ish settings, take a look at this Era Gem page, lots of dark sapphires there
https://eragem.com/sapphire-engagement-rings?p=2

Thanks for that! That's an awesome website for darker sapphires!

Your spinel was what inspired me to procure something in the peacock colour actually!

I am hoping to nose around for one of those pre made settings where I can just get them to insert the stone. They are usually high so let in a lot of light and budget friendly. Trying to see if I can make this a budget friendly project. I tend to blow out on my settings!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can't wait to see the end product! Congrats on the lovely sapphire with the awesome cut!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I set it guys!!!

@Burmesedaze you won't approve but I went to a B&M and found this setting (actually sales lady found it) ant it was just perfect for me.

I know I said no halos but to hell with it! I adore this setting!

There was a nice one that was $300 cheaper but it was painfully obvious it wasn't perfect for the stone like this one.

20171216_132745.jpg
20171216_132836.jpg

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hehe sometimes I'm such an idiot I scare myself! Here are the hands hots at home out of the box! Lol the lighting when I viewed it was horrid but it appealed to me anyway so I bought it being quite satisfied with the way it looked!

Imagine my surprise when this happened as I took it out of the box at home!

SQUEEEEEEEE

20171214_162415.jpg 20171214_162453.jpg
Wow! Gorgeous! You are so lucky that you got to meet him and visit the gems in person.

I understand how you got in trouble. I’m guilty of looking for one gem and buying other types instead.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Gorgeous! You are so lucky that you got to meet him and visit the gems in person.

I understand how you got in trouble. I’m guilty of looking for one gem and buying other types instead.

He was so nice!!! You should have seen how excited I was to see chunks of rough for the first time!

One of the most exciting things that day was I got to see Chrysoprase in real life! It's so pretty! I adore that kind of colour. I am seriously thinking of buying a Cab and making a ring out of it! So much cheaper than jade and I love love love the colour.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo makes it outstanding!

I was thinking of you when I was in store and the much better price you could probably get your settings for!

But it wasn't too bad if I were to compare all B&Ms in my area.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was thinking of you when I was in store and the much better price you could probably get your settings for!

But it wasn't too bad if I were to compare all B&Ms in my area.

Price isn't always everything :) immediate gratification could be!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price isn't always everything :) immediate gratification could be!

haha yes! There is a diamond setting store out in the suburbs where they generally charge a little bit less for their settings and I can get a setting with bigger melee. But they are SO ANNOYING!!!!! Like you would not believe how annoying they are especially when you try to buy a setting for a coloured stone!

They have no idea about coloured stones and keep claiming they can buy my stones for $10 and that it's unfashionable to wear coloured stones (they sell diamonds, lots of white diamonds)! Anyways I wasn't up for that crap today no matter how cheap!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring! You did good!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
such a beautiful colored stone!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
At first I was all, "Go for diamond sides and white metal", because that's what I have for my own dark blue spinel but it looks beautiful in the halo! What a nice story.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
haha yes! There is a diamond setting store out in the suburbs where they generally charge a little bit less for their settings and I can get a setting with bigger melee. But they are SO ANNOYING!!!!! Like you would not believe how annoying they are especially when you try to buy a setting for a coloured stone!

They have no idea about coloured stones and keep claiming they can buy my stones for $10 and that it's unfashionable to wear coloured stones (they sell diamonds, lots of white diamonds)! Anyways I wasn't up for that crap today no matter how cheap!

Tell them if they can find the same quality, size, cut and lack of treatments, you would gladly buy 1000 pieces at 15 bux each from them. Profit for all!

It gets that way with the SAs pretty much in every country.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you found a perfect setting for your stone!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fastest turnover ever!!! I love the new setting for your sapphire. I think the color really pops in there. Also, that rose gold(?) twisty thing going on with the band is just lovely. Now you can wear this all over, instead of bringing the gem box around. I'd love to see more pics! :love:

I don't love bringing my colored gems to B&M stores either for the very reasons you stated. They never know what they're talking about because the focus is on diamonds. Definitely annoying.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone, and setting!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics for you @elle_71125

I still can't quite capture what my eye is seeing! I should probably upgrade my phone but less money for stones that way!

It went well with my aqua fruit dress and I find comfort in knowing it's a tougher rock.

I love it so much!!!! There's something so satisfying about this stone! The shifting colours really do it for me. It usually looks like that teal/peacock colour but under a specific light it's really green. I'm so in love with it!!!!!!

20171217_122801.jpg 20171217_120518.jpg
20171217_122759.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell them if they can find the same quality, size, cut and lack of treatments, you would gladly buy 1000 pieces at 15 bux each from them. Profit for all!

It gets that way with the SAs pretty much in every country.

I think it irks me extra because I don't even ask for their opinion! I mean if I wandered in there and asked for their opinion/approval fair enough they can tell me wrong facts and give me a spiel on whatever but I don't!!! I just want to look at the settings! It is a sale people just sell me what I want!

Just show me your damn settings and don't comment! Is that so hard!!!!!???? Plus I am a grown woman! Am I really going to stop wearing what I want because some random at a shop doesn't approve of it????
Sheesh!

hehe sorry when I get on a roll about this I find it hard to stop!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it irks me extra because I don't even ask for their opinion! I mean if I wandered in there and asked for their opinion/approval fair enough they can tell me wrong facts and give me a spiel on whatever but I don't!!! I just want to look at the settings! It is a sale people just sell me what I want!

Just show me your damn settings and don't comment! Is that so hard!!!!!???? Plus I am a grown woman! Am I really going to stop wearing what I want because some random at a shop doesn't approve of it????
Sheesh!

hehe sorry when I get on a roll about this I find it hard to stop!

Lol or insisting that their items are the best and elsewhere is inferior.

A mean, bad ex told me this, that he uses on people that annoy him. "When I want your opinion, I will tell you what to say."

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock
Stunning. I'd have been dancing round the house when I opened it; so much more gorgeous than it looked originally.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results