shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for 5-stone ring?

nightynite

Rough_Rock
Hi,
My mom had an old 5-stone ring with BEAUTIFUL diamonds that she passed on to me as a wedding gift, which I plan to use as a stand-alone wedding ring (my actual wedding band is slim and pinched, so it looks tiny on its own) or to wear on my right hand. We had it reset into a smaller u-prong band. The ring itself is gorgeous, but when I wear it, it looks square-ish on my finger and like it does not have a "flow" to it. My mom has the paperwork so I can't remember the exact specs, but I know the diamonds are E VVS1 and I think 0.1 or 0.12 carats each - from a rough measurement they appear to be 3mm in diameter. My ring size is between 4.5 to 5, depending on the hand, and oddly my engagement ring was sized as a 5 and my wedding band was a 4.5.

I'm interested in any thoughts on the diamond size for a 5-stone ring or other settings that might help elevate the design. Maybe it's not wide enough for my finger, and I should have it made into a 7-stone band instead? I'd really love to keep it classic and close to the "original" of my mom's ring, but I'm not sure what other settings as a 5-stone would make a difference. I do really like the actual setting style and the low profile - so on the other hand, maybe I just need to let it grow on me!

Pictures are below, apologies for the bad office lighting!

Original ring - size 7, and the setting had a very high profile, although you can't see it in this picture:
IMG_1461.JPG

Reset to size 5 u-prong:
Left hand:
IMG_5039.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG
Right hand:
IMG_5036.JPG
IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_5043.JPG

Last edited:

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But don’t get the wonky jeweler to make it!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest bezels as well. That will help keep the setting low too.
you could also do squared off bezels

five4.jpg

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also love the current u-prong setting and I think that it is a perfect fit for your finger, but you are the one who wears it and needs to love it. If you decide to go with a bezel design, I would suggest that you try on some similar rings in person as they would look very different compared to your current setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also love the current u-prong setting and I think that it is a perfect fit for your finger, but you are the one who wears it and needs to love it. If you decide to go with a bezel design, I would suggest that you try on some similar rings in person as they would look very different compared to your current setting.
I'm going to be really honest and hope it doesn't hurt OPs feelings. I do love your u-prong setting and think it's perfect on you. But those prongs would drive me insane, and make me want to reset if I were you (so I understand your desire to change). The prongs are big, square, and uneven, and distract from the beauty of the setting itself. If I were you, before considering resetting I would reach out to a skilled jeweler (David klass comes to mind), and see if he thinks the prongs could be made more even/delicate/pretty without having to scrap the entire setting.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it fits your finger perfectly, much nicer design than the original maybe the issue is the diamond size? Obviously it’s not something you can do anything about other than doing a much chunkier setting like bezels as has been suggested. Maybe it would look nice stacked as well I know it’s not a thin band but might look good paired with something else for more presence?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think the size of the diamonds and the style of the setting are gorgeous on you! But I think the only thing that stands out for me is the prongs, I feel that refining them could really help alleviate some of the issues you have with the ring. I love the yellow gold too!

nightynite

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your sincere input! I've been wearing the ring daily to see if I like the size/setting. It's definitely growing on me. I had never even looked that carefully at the actual prongs, as raised by @lovedogs and @Dandi. I'm completely clueless about that, so would anyone be able to chime in on what exactly about the prongs could be different? The prongs are round, so I am not sure what a more ideal prong setting would look like, other than being smaller or thinner?

Thank you all!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results