shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help, how thin is too thin?

dangr

Rough_Rock
Thanks in advance for your advice. I contacted a PS vendor and asked for a full eternity band (ring size 5.75) + thin/dainty shank + low profile. This will be in platinum. I just received the CAD renderings for the setting, but I now I need some advice:

1) Will the shank being under 2mm cause problems in the future? I hear these pave type settings are prone to diamonds falling out, etc.

2) Is 7.26mm high prong/basket considered low? I just know my gf wants a low setting. Should I have the shank portion go up and meet the basket? Ala the Caroline at WF http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...e-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-251.htm or is the current design adequately considered low by most folks?

3) Azures! Will these holes in the shank hurt the sturdiness of the piece? I don't want to micromanage anyone but in combination of the <2mm shank, I'm slightly concerned, ha. Plus it'd be nice to have something engraved inside maybe (it'd have to be tiny tiny, ha)

cadside3.jpg
cadside.jpg
cadside2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.92 is fine. I wouldn't go thinner than that with pave on the shank. And yes, I like the style of the Vatche Caroline better.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People vary, and I do think in that black and white way . . . "How thin is too thin?" . . . as if one width is the line between safe and unsafe.

Here's how I think.
Safety vs. ring thickness is not a black and white thing; it's shades of gray.
Thicker is safer.
Thinner is less safe.
Also, 2mm with diamonds is less safe than 2mm without diamonds, unless the vendor beefs it up by making it thicker in the other axis so the whole ring sticks out further from your finger.

Even the thickest ring can be damaged if subjected to enough stress.
Also, some people are harder on their rings than others.

Even then some freak accident may happen.
Just because vendors make it does not mean it will hold up to a lifetime of daily wear and tear for every owner.

Also, there have been many threads on this topic if you do a search.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1343830853|3244257 said:
Thicker is safer.
Thinner is less safe.
Also, 2mm without diamonds is less safethan 2mm with diamonds.

Is that what you meant to say, Kenny?

The band with diamonds is going to be less safe, especially at smaller widths like that, since the "cutouts" needed to set the diamonds can impact the integrity of the band.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opps yes.
Thanks VR, I fixed it.

Brain fart.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the azures I think 1.9 is too thin. It's completely swiss cheese. Either take them out or make it thicker. And it must be platinum. In Gold this won't stand up to wear I would look at 2.3-2.5 if you want the azures in. Even with them out I would not go to 1.9. I'd try for 2.1.

dangr

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback! I had the impression that 2ish mm is the safe zone, which is why I asked. I did go through and read some threads in SMTB and realize that it is not uncommon to go under 2mm. I will suggest the changes Gypsy proposed just to minimize the chances of bad things happening.

I think the center stone will stick out too much, so I'm also suggesting changes that includes having the shank meet up at the basket (not really sure what that's called) similar to the Caroline and other rings.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1343838306|3244329 said:
With the azures I think 1.9 is too thin. It's completely swiss cheese. Either take them out or make it thicker. And it must be platinum. In Gold this won't stand up to wear I would look at 2.3-2.5 if you want the azures in. Even with them out I would not go to 1.9. I'd try for 2.1.

I agree. I'd aim for 2.5mm. That's still dainty but substantial.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would either make it slightly wider (2.2) AND taller off the finger even by a half mm OR make it half eternity and slightly taller. That's going to have far less strength as a full eternity. Another suggestion--eliminate the little holes under the stones, that might also help with the strength.

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
Hi! My ring is 1.8mm so I feel licensed to chime in lol. You are taking a risk when you go that thin. My ring has already bent once since I have had it and had to be repaired. Granted, I have three sided pave and I think that makes it a little more vulnerable.

As for going for the "Caroline" or cathedral style- I would be good and sure that your fiance likes that style. It has grown on me but when we were e-ring shopping I couldn't stand that look and many of my friends feel the same way. I do think it is something people feel strongly about one way or the other.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too thin. Would suggest 2.5mm with pave. :wavey:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Argh, my internet connection fizzled right as I was trying to post and my computer ate what I wrote.

But basically, I can bend a 2mm thick ring shank with cutouts with my bare hands and a little bit of effort. I wouldn't want something so delicate for an everyday-wear ring, even if I was planning on babying it a ton. But plenty of people get them.

I would consider that setting high. Having a low setting was one of my biggest priorities with an engagement ring, but eventually what I realized was that with a stone the size of what I wanted, the setting would never be low. So for me the real consideration became having a setting where the stone didn't stick out so much from the band. Cathedral settings, like the Caroline, are one thing that worked, though I ended up liking a three-stone best, and finding that the intermediate step of the sidestones made the ring feel not-stick-outy to me.

dangr

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your opinions and advice! My gf definitely plans on wearing this thing everyday so I'll be sure to ask that it be thicker and with no holes! Should be completed two weeks after a center stone is selected, yay!

@Md123456789, especially great advice! I asked my gf what she thought of cathedral settings and she's in the hate it camp, ha. close call!

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
So glad you were able to ask and get clarity on that! Girls tend to be a bit more detail focused with our erings :)

One more piece of advice- people here tend to advise against thinner e rings but in the end it's your gf who has to love it. I asked for a ring thinner than 2 mm and got one that was 2.5 mm and was NOT happy with it and ended up resetting. I think with single row pave and no drill holes, you would be safe. The look is very different the thicker you go so again, be sure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results