carat
color
clarity

Setting help for my Welo Opal from Barry Bridgestock

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So, I need some help please...

I purchased a Welo opal from Barry - it arrived today and it is stunning. I LOVE it :love::love::love:

It is completely different to Australian opal and is almost transparent which presents somewhat of a dilemma when it comes to setting it.

I had planned on a setting very similar to that of the gem silica in my avatar - it seems to work so well with cabs and I love the pointy claws and slighting antique vibe - hadn't decided on whether it would be white or yellow gold and I thought I might bezel and migrain the diamonds for a slight change in the look.

However, the stone performs so differently depending on the background. The black background makes the green and orange really stand out - the play of colour is something to behold in real life.

On a white / skin background, the body colour becomes more orange and the green details less obvious. Both are lovely in their own way tho.

If I decided I needed a black background - how can I achieve that? Is it recommended? I will need very specific instructions for my jeweler and also know/understand the risks so I can highlight that when it is being set.

I'm attaching some bad photos of the stone on the different backgrounds and also Barry's shot. None of which do this gem justice at all. In the white and skin pictures it looks downright pukey - it really isn't like that but the pictures do hopefully show the big difference in body colour depending on the photographic background.

Has anyone set a transparent opal before? How did you do it, were you happy with the results? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welo Opal Barry Photo.JPG Welo Opal White Background.JPG Welo Opal Skin Background.JPG Welo Opal Black Background.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_7433.JPG I assume the stone is translucent, correct? If so, I would look for a setting with a very heavy gallery, something that would really enclose the sides and bottom to let very little light in. That would enhance the colors of your Opal. I have one that is a pear shape with a very similar colors, and it looks better In an enclosed setting.

This is my moonstone ring, but it's an example of what I'm talking about. This setting lets no light underneath the stone as it sits snug to my finger, and the sides are enclosed since it's a type of halo. There is no backing to the setting, but I think it really sets off the blue color of the moonstone, which is another translucent/transparent stone that gets help from a darker background.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks TL - yes my stone is translucent. Can you show me what your ring looks like underneath please?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, when they make doublet or triplet opals here in Aust, they are “stuck” on a black/ dark grey backing. Sometimes it’s opal potch, other times it looks like it’s plastic (cheap and nasty “tourist” opals).
I’m wondering if you could mount it onto a piece of onyx, that would give you the black background that best enables the colours to display. I don’t think a fully enclosed setting will create the best display, the translucent nature will still enable your underneath skin tone to come through making its yellow tone apparent. It’s the nature of Welo opals, they have a yellowish body colour.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather than an open back gallery, mount it with the sealed bottom metal perhaps oxidized dark.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_7749.JPG IMG_7765.JPG
Thanks TL - yes my stone is translucent. Can you show me what your ring looks like underneath please?
Unfortunately, it's in the bank vault so I don't have it to photograph the underside right now. However the concept is the same with this other moonstone ring of mine in a thick heavy silver mount. Here's a pic of it on my hand and the underside. My moonstone ring in the bank has an oval opening like this.

i'm also a firm believer of not putting metal or other backings on the undersides of stones because moisture and other things can get stuck in there, and it's an environment for germs. I believe undersides of rings and other jewelry pieces with gems should be easily accessible to keep them clean. I'm also somewhat of a purist, so I personally would not glue a piece of onyx to the underside of the stone, but that's something you may want to consider if you knew someone who could properly do that. I think the stone is pretty enough on its own to try an enclosed setting first.

There are some welo opals that are very transparent, but I don't think yours is one of those, and you said it's translucent. I really think an enclosed setting will work much better with your stone, than a very transparent welo.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd incorporate onyx into the design of the ring.
Not functioning as a doublet/solid backing though.
Whomever does the setting will probably have to have something custom cut.
Having done that exact same thing for a ring myself- it's not as expensive as it sounds.
Very pretty opal you have!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Both of my opals (black) are bezel set. Your opal is so lovely! I’ve never seen a Welo opal IRL.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still like the idea of a diamond halo, similar to your avatar. I think it would look gorgeous. :love:

You could also try bringing out the colors you like by using them in the setting. Like these ones...

IMG_2482.jpg IMG_2483.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love:
I still like the idea of a diamond halo, similar to your avatar. I think it would look gorgeous. :love:

You could also try bringing out the colors you like by using them in the setting. Like these ones...

IMG_2482.jpg IMG_2483.jpg
Oh yes, I’ll be having ALL 3 of those gorgeous rings

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, when they make doublet or triplet opals here in Aust, they are “stuck” on a black/ dark grey backing. Sometimes it’s opal potch, other times it looks like it’s plastic (cheap and nasty “tourist” opals).
I’m wondering if you could mount it onto a piece of onyx, that would give you the black background that best enables the colours to display. I don’t think a fully enclosed setting will create the best display, the translucent nature will still enable your underneath skin tone to come through making its yellow tone apparent. It’s the nature of Welo opals, they have a yellowish body colour.

Thanks Bron - I'll have a chat with the jeweler about options - I did think about adding an onyx back thereby make it a "doublet" which is a bit cringy when I think about it - it seems almost like sacrilege to do this to a natural solid opal but if it brings out the best colour, I might be persuaded....

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
i'm also a firm believer of not putting metal or other backings on the undersides of stones because moisture and other things can get stuck in there, and it's an environment for germs. I believe undersides of rings and other jewelry pieces with gems should be easily accessible to keep them clean. I'm also somewhat of a purist, so I personally would not glue a piece of onyx to the underside of the stone, but that's something you may want to consider if you knew someone who could properly do that. I think the stone is pretty enough on its own to try an enclosed setting first.

Yes I totally agree about the germs and dirt thing and it isn't something I've readily considered before but it's so pretty on the black background....

If I set similar to my Avatar but bezel both the opal and the diamonds, would that give it enough of an enclosed setting, do you think? I don't have a picture to hand, I'll have to see if I can find one - or if someone else has some inspiration pics - please post them.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I might have missed this. Do you love how it looks whilst your own hand is the background?

If so, doing what TL recommended should work wonderfully. I also cringe a little bit at the thought of making a whole perfectly fine solid opal... into a doublet o_O

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I totally agree about the germs and dirt thing and it isn't something I've readily considered before but it's so pretty on the black background....

If I set similar to my Avatar but bezel both the opal and the diamonds, would that give it enough of an enclosed setting, do you think? I don't have a picture to hand, I'll have to see if I can find one - or if someone else has some inspiration pics - please post them.
I think it's important to get a setting that sits low to the finger, and has no light coming in through the bottom, whether it's bezeled or not. The rings above, while very beautiful, are probably Australian opals and they are opaque for the most part. They don't really need an enclosed setting, but the settings are very beautiful. You also don't want such a colorful setting that it overpowers or competes with your stone either. That's not to say that a colorful setting with colored side stones won't look great with your opal, but you need to consider what color side stones and what saturation level to use.

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG @elle_71125 those rings you posted are amazing!!!! You and I must never go and set rings together! Can you imagine the halos we'd end up with :tongue::lol:

You're right! We should definitely stay far away from each other. The enabling would be wicked! :lol-2:

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
18BDCA9E-E0C5-4163-9744-D006DBBA7F85.jpeg 9EEB44C1-F815-4CBD-B03B-7DAD1E0168FE.jpeg My ring is a total cheapie compared to the lovely ones here, but just in case it’s helpful... I had my moonstone (also Barry) set in a cheap setting made of mix and match Stuller findings in silver, and because the stone is so light and transparent, I asked him to add a silver plate to the back so it’s all enclosed. The result was surprisingly beautiful, at least to my eyes. Looks kind of like a dulled down antique mirror, but with a slight blue sheen. I don’t know how silver would work for an opal, but my jeweler let me see the stone on a silver plate before deciding. Good luck, and gorgeous stones and rings everyone!

ETA: I just saw the post about not backing the settings due to germs and moisture, so I guess it’s not a great suggestion. Sorry! I did think about that with mine too but since the whole thing wasn’t much more than $200 I went for it and will wear with care:)

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
18BDCA9E-E0C5-4163-9744-D006DBBA7F85.jpeg 9EEB44C1-F815-4CBD-B03B-7DAD1E0168FE.jpeg My ring is a total cheapie compared to the lovely ones here, but just in case it’s helpful... I had my moonstone (also Barry) set in a cheap setting made of mix and match Stuller findings in silver, and because the stone is so light and transparent, I asked him to add a silver plate to the back so it’s all enclosed. The result was surprisingly beautiful, at least to my eyes. Looks kind of like a dulled down antique mirror, but with a slight blue sheen. I don’t know how silver would work for an opal, but my jeweler let me see the stone on a silver plate before deciding. Good luck, and gorgeous stones and rings everyone!

ETA: I just saw the post about not backing the settings due to germs and moisture, so I guess it’s not a great suggestion. Sorry! I did think about that with mine too but since the whole thing wasn’t much more than $200 I went for it and will wear with care:)

Your ring is beautiful and no way would I have guessed it was only $200.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Beautiful opal! Be careful with your opal around water though as the majority of Ethiopian opal is hydrophane. This means it will absorb some of the water and the play of colour will disappear for a while. The colour will return but it can take quite a long time for it to come back. With crystal opal here in Oz they sometimes oxidise the setting as someone has already mentioned.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful opal! Be careful with your opal around water though as the majority of Ethiopian opal is hydrophane. This means it will absorb some of the water and the play of colour will disappear for a while. The colour will return but it can take quite a long time for it to come back. With crystal opal here in Oz they sometimes oxidise the setting as someone has already mentioned.

Thanks Jamie - I always take my rings off when I get my hands wet so I'm not expecting that the be a problem. Cleaning the setting though - that will be a bit more tricky! Any recommendations?

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I might have missed this. Do you love how it looks whilst your own hand is the background?

Ah yes - well, to be honest I do prefer it on the black background because it really shows the colours at their absolute best. I don't mind the more orange body colour on skin/white background but I"m not sure I absolutely love it either. I need to play around with it a bit more, I think. I'm seeing my jeweller shortly so I'll see what he has to offer in terms of suggestions.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sooo, just got back from the jeweller. He said that he could oxidize a closed in setting to make the opal colour pop however, he would strongly recommend against it. He said that cleaning is an issue (and he already knows I'm a bit of a freak about cleaning my jewellery) so that really isn't an option for me, I think.

However, what he did suggest is that instead of a ring, set it in a necklace/pendant with an open back - that way whatever I'm wearing will be the background colour of the opal. He showed me a couple he'd done (not with opals as nice as mine, of course) but it looked good and he was right about my clothes giving the opal enough ooomph.

The only problem is, that as a pendant, I can't see it so don't get to admire than wonderful play of colour and I don't think I can keep staring in the mirror at myself - people will talk!:-o

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the fun of working with Crystal Opal! :mrgreen:

However, what he did suggest is that instead of a ring, set it in a necklace/pendant with an open back - that way whatever I'm wearing will be the background colour of the opal. He showed me a couple he'd done (not with opals as nice as mine, of course) but it looked good and he was right about my clothes giving the opal enough ooomph.

The only problem is, that as a pendant, I can't see it so don't get to admire than wonderful play of colour and I don't think I can keep staring in the mirror at myself - people will talk!:-o

I would also recommend that as you can wear a black top to help the colours of the stone pop more! Plus a pendant draws people's eye moreso than a ring, more compliments ;)2

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the fun of working with Crystal Opal! :mrgreen:

I would also recommend that as you can wear a black top to help the colours of the stone pop more! Plus a pendant draws people's eye moreso than a ring, more compliments ;)2

Jordy how nice to "see" you! Don't disappear again, we can never have enough fellow opal enthusiasts here!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Plus, a pendant may not always lie flat. Also, I agree with your comments above, why wear a piece of jewelry that you want to enjoy, if you can't always see it?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The way to fix the pendant problem is to have a really large setting for it and wear it on a longer chain so then you can just as easily look down and see it, same as a ring.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@BlingObsession the best way to clean your opal is to clean it regularly with a dry jewellery cleaning cloth. If it really needs some moisture you can dampen the cloth but just try to keep that to a minimum and don’t do it if you don’t need to.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
the best way to clean your opal is to clean it regularly with a dry jewellery cleaning cloth. If it really needs some moisture you can dampen the cloth but just try to keep that to a minimum and don’t do it if you don’t need to.

Thanks Jamie - I'll keep that in mind once I have the stone set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results