shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for stone

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Dear all,

I just recently purchased a loose stone from one of our fellow pricescopers. It measures 10 mm by 7.5 mm.

I have a ring setting that measures 10 mm by 8 mm for the center stone space. Will that work? In other words, does the setting have to be correct down to the very mm, or can it be off by a little and if so by how much at most?

Thanks!! And yes, will share stone and setting once they are done!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it should work. You’re typically given a half a mm leeway in calibrated settings.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@T L Thanks for the valuable info, I really appreciate it!

Just making sure: Does the half mm rule also apply for “smaller” sizes ie would a 9.5 mm x 7 mm setting fit a 10 mm x 7.5 mm stone?

voce

Ideal_Rock
You have to be careful. It's safe to say that if you're half a mm up in one dimension and half a mm down in one dimension, rovals or ovals will fit. However, less round cuts such as cushion and hexagon probably would not.

I wouldn't count on your second example to work.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@voce thanks! My stone is an emerald cut, so would a half mm difference be ok still or no, since it’s not a round?

Btw love the (new?) lovely purple/lavender stone in your profile pic! I’m partial to purple—is it a spinel or sapphire?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'd say that half a mm in one direction is OK, but half a mm later in both directions sounds a little iffy, unless they're different in opposite directions (one .5 mm larger, one .5 mm smaller).

Thanks for liking my stone. It's a spinel, which is now my birthstone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind that the depth of the stone has to fit in the setting as well. I often forget that aspect. :confused2:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind that the depth of the stone has to fit in the setting as well. I often forget that aspect. :confused2:
Following up on minousbijoux's terrific advisory, let me ask if the setting had a center stone previously set in it? If so, I'd like to strongly recommend that you confer with whatever good "bench" whom you anticipate would be actually doing the work of "marrying" the setting and the new stone (and who has experience with colored gems). I.e., don't rely on a sales assistant behind the counter of a jewelry shop to give you an accurate answer.

Generally speaking, colored gems are deeper than their diamond counterparts with the same face-up measurements. Plus, it's not unusual for colored gems to have a rather wonky pavilion (think of that as the stone's belly), an off-center culet, and/or girdles not typical of modern diamonds. And colored gems themselves are far from uniform in this regard. So you really need a seasoned bench pro, who can make a first-hand assessment of the stone and the setting, to tell you if the new stone can be seated in the seat created for the predecessor stone -- and if not, what the expense would be for whatever viable alternatives there may be (e.g., re-tip the prongs, a whole new head?).

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, I did NOT think about that, but now that you mentioned it it seems very sensible and obvious. Thanks very much!!!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@MollyMalone thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed explanation! I’m glad you told me because up till now I literally though I could just pluck out a stone and pop a new one in approximately the same size lol, but looks like I should visit the bench first and discuss some options! Will keep you posted!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results