carat
color
clarity

setting for paraiba tourmaline!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
78461B39-93FF-44A6-AB82-4D9A82666C54.jpeg

So I did end up with the paraiba tourmaline oval... now to decide on a setting.

Size: 9.83 x 7.38 (5.28 deep). So basically 10x7

Some ideas:

1. The path of least resistance - I could get it put in one of Cecile Raley Design's Camellia settings.
Pros - the gem is with them, it's probably considerably cheaper, I think it fits in the large size without alterations
Cons - massive finger coverage, not sure it's really what I want/my style, it's been done before on here a lot

05467b40-a4f6-47cb-8fd5-961a7d8d5ff2-jpeg.678822

2. Rose cut halo
Pros - more unique, it might be what I really want
Cons - dealing with a custom setting, expense

Inspiration images:

I like these spiky petal bits but it might be a bit too much:
3d683a9cd3ff3d5d069dd6b552716259.jpg IMG_1841_master.jpeg

I like this ring but not the extra poky-outy parts, and this halo is really flat:
10625-Vintage-Sun-Star-Rose-Cut-Halo-1-5c9bdeff9b7b54bd3849dc36.png
I like the way these rose cuts are slanted down a bit more:
s-l1600 (10).jpg
I like this way of putting the diamonds and this ring overall, though I think the halo could be slanted a bit more and the ring could be lower profile:
Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 9.22.00 AM.png
I like these prongs for the main stone - not sure whether it would be better to bezel or prong the main stone but if prongs I'd like 6 or 8:
Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 8.39.51 AM.png
I like the proportions of halo diamonds to center stone on both of these:
Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 9.34.29 PM.png engagement_ring_antique_2.jpg
I love the shank here:
05_395b5946-e148-41e7-8f00-a3ae18ae7610_800x.jpg

3. The CVB Astrid halo (but probably N-S not E-W):
Pros - I've always loved and wanted an Astrid halo
Cons - I always imagined getting a round one with a black onyx, not sure I really want it for this stone

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 9.11.49 AM.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like if you look at the videos of this ring I just love the subtle glimmer of the rose cuts and think it would be nice with the paraiba so the rest of the ring isn't competing with the WOW color: https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-29ctw-old-european-cut-and-rose-cut-diamond-halo-ring

eta: also budget is up to $8k but I'd like to try to keep it near $4k if possible... the lower I keep it, the more money I have for setting something else or getting other gems.

I'm thinking I should contact CVB and David Klass for estimates? Since I liked quite a few of their rings. DK recently posted an emerald and rose cut halo ring that was really great, and aside from the double halo very close to what I want.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 7.35.37 PM.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and stunning inspirations!

CF2C8119-0738-46A2-9B2B-D61B574A2B22.png
I vote this with pear shape rose cuts in the halo.
It’d be a subdued (but can still be edgy) version of your first spiky inspiration pic?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that your ring? TGP
Intrepide?
I don’t think it will look alike at all!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that your ring? TGP
Intrepide?
I don’t think it will look alike at all!

Yes and yes... apparently I only like halos if they're a little edgy and different!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your halo is gorgeous! I’m sure I’ve drooled over it on here many times before.

I have this in the works with CVB
B0AE1D37-8914-40E7-A594-14C90502A689.jpeg
And DK has this
A1450B84-4CEE-45F7-AF1D-32523AB0FF31.jpeg
I can see something like either done wonderfully with rose cut pears (modern or antique vibe) in the way it seems you are talking about.

The gorgeous emerald ring you posted of DKs would be stunning with him making the modifications you are indicating

Attachments

• 889752C9-307A-4E06-BD5A-8A28B1B27854.png
    889752C9-307A-4E06-BD5A-8A28B1B27854.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Sidestones? WWW

Then, there are a couple of rings with Paraiba & FI/V/DY around - the colours look great together. WWW

2p

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh! ooh!
Can you imagine varying sizes of pear rose cuts in a halo?

I’m sorry - I’m geeked up for you to use rose cut pears and go pointy!:mrgreen2:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sidestones? WWW

Then, there are a couple of rings with Paraiba & FI/V/DY around - the colours look great together. WWW

I don't want any sidestones because I so often go for three-stone rings... the tsavorite I got for a ring will be either a three-stone or a art deco style ring (with an outside chance of an art nouveau style ring).

I did think about yellow based on that pic but I think yellow ultimately just doesn't look that great on my skin, and the cost to get that color yellow melee might be a lot.

Ooh! ooh!
Can you imagine varying sizes of pear rose cuts in a halo?

I’m sorry - I’m geeked up for you to use rose cut pears and go pointy!:mrgreen2:

I'm def thinking about it... might come down to whether there's significant a cost difference between shapes. I def like the idea of rose cuts though... between it being tourmaline and it being included, I'm leery of getting any setting where I'd want to steam it or ultrasonic it to get it clean. I think rose cuts with open backs sound a lot easier to clean than little pave stones!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kept thinking I could SWEAR I'd seen what I was thinking about before... and it turns out I had. Ivy New York has this paraiba ring:

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 11.25.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 11.25.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 11.25.29 PM.png
I just don't like/want the extra pave halo and want smaller stones.

They also have these which show pears alternating with rounds or ovals, which I like a lot more than just pears, which they also have:
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.59.34 AM.png

I like the proportions of these halo stones to the main stone:
Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.59.38 AM.png

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only one picture of your new paraiba?sad :((:cry2:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That Paraiba is a great size :kiss2:. Looking forward to seeing what you do - I really like the rose cut pear/round alternating idea,I think it will make it look a lot more different and give a lovely overall shape.
My ring is one of the ones you posted initially (diamond double halo by DK) the stones are graduated in the halo, think there are three different sizes to preserve the oval proportions of the stone as it looked a lot rounder otherwise overall, just something to consider.
Looking forward to seeing progress on this...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D5EFF8E0-FC0C-486E-BEEF-DA97D6FAD425.jpeg I used rose cuts around my vanadium beryl, and I like the effect.

omg it's hilarious that you basically already have this... apparently I really AM just trying to get your jewelry collection specifically, even when it's things I've never seen pictures of before. It's gorgeous! Is there a thread for this setting or do you have any side angle shots? Who made it? Do you know what size the rose cuts are?

I saw this on IG today and it made me think of this thread. I like the slant on the petals.
20190804_085215.jpg

Oh neat!

That Paraiba is a great size :kiss2:. Looking forward to seeing what you do - I really like the rose cut pear/round alternating idea,I think it will make it look a lot more different and give a lovely overall shape.
My ring is one of the ones you posted initially (diamond double halo by DK) the stones are graduated in the halo, think there are three different sizes to preserve the oval proportions of the stone as it looked a lot rounder otherwise overall, just something to consider.
Looking forward to seeing progress on this...

Thanks for that info - I've seen people say before that sometimes you have to change the stone size to keep the proportions the same but I can't ever tell when it's happening.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only one picture of your new paraiba?sad :((:cry2:

I don't have all that many pictures of it... just what I took while I was considering in a single lighting source (that based on the other gems I had with me and was looking at, was not really flattering... Yvonne had on a paraiba pendant that looked baller outside and in stores but in this office lighting was just kind of normal looking.)

The resized smaller pics lose saturation so you have to click through on those.

A48C69DF-7D72-4015-B660-5B296DE8C520.jpeg
78461B39-93FF-44A6-AB82-4D9A82666C54.jpeg
IMG_4558.jpg
IMG_4551.jpg
IMG_4626.JPG

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
omg it's hilarious that you basically already have this... apparently I really AM just trying to get your jewelry collection specifically, even when it's things I've never seen pictures of before. It's gorgeous! Is there a thread for this setting or do you have any side angle shots? Who made it? Do you know what size the rose cuts are?

We do have similar taste! :)

Here’s the thread, rose cuts are 2.5 mm.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/two-jeff-white-stones-set.216391/

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love IVY settings, but your stone (that is so glowy!) - JMO - needs to be set very highly. I like the original Camelia setting because the stone is set highly, and I like the spiky petals for the same reason.

Perhaps they can slightly modify the Camellia because several people have it? Because to bring out the neon beauty of the stone, it works very well.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love IVY settings, but your stone (that is so glowy!) - JMO - needs to be set very highly. I like the original Camelia setting because the stone is set highly, and I like the spiky petals for the same reason.

Perhaps they can slightly modify the Camellia because several people have it? Because to bring out the neon beauty of the stone, it works very well.

Why do you think it should be set high? I wanted to set it as low as possible because I know how often I bump my hands on things, and that I do so a lot more often with higher rings and want to protect this one.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it needs to be set highly at all, if you put a bezel around it first and then a halo I think you will find it will amp up the colour of it a bit (not that there is anything wrong with it now) just if you want it to be more intense.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don’t know how I missed that! I looked through so many of your threads and saw the original stone one but I guess didn’t link it up to the title of that one. Gorgeous setting for an even more gorgeous stone!

I don't think it needs to be set highly at all, if you put a bezel around it first and then a halo I think you will find it will amp up the colour of it a bit (not that there is anything wrong with it now) just if you want it to be more intense.

Haha it’s already pretty intense! I don’t know whether I want a bezel or prongs - whichever would be safer/less likely to damage while setting? I am far more paranoid than usual about damaging the stone probably because it’s the most expensive AND most included I’ve gotten, and all the other tourmalines I own I bought already set. But I’ve seen other tourmalines with similar levels of inclusions set both ways.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do you think it should be set high? I wanted to set it as low as possible because I know how often I bump my hands on things, and that I do so a lot more often with higher rings and want to protect this one.

@distracts , that changes the situation. If you bump your hand on things, and it is a tourmaline, then, yes.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bezel will help to protect it as well. Having said that it should be safe with a halo around it provided it isn't set up high. Heavily included stones shouldn't be set up high IMHO, if you bump your hands on things and you give them a good bump or tap them accidentally against something (I've done it on shopping trolleys, my car door, desks, benches etc) then you can crack, spilt or chip many gemstones.

I've managed to break an Argyle diamond along with numerous gemstones, I now take everything off and only wear it out when I know I'm not going to be using my hands a lot.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I am finally getting the ball rolling on this and have emailed David Klass for a quote. Not sure about CVB... I hadn't realized so many people had bad experiences with her and while I was researching her more on the forum that spooked me. I paid too much money for this stone to be chill if anything goes wrong.

also here's a shitty drawing I emailed them:

IMG_4955.jpg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Ha! That's not too bad really. I'm sure they've seen worse drawings!
I'm a DK fan so I think they are a wise choice for this. If you haven't seen it yet, you should look at the recent post by Elle on her DK spinel halo. Spectacular. Yours will be too!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the drawing! You will not regret working with DK! I am a huge fan. He will Make sure you love the outcome. It’s a breeze working with him. And his pricing is very reasonable.

My experience with Caysie was not good. Love her work but not the process. And in my case the outcome was not as expected (although beautiful), probably due to my inexperience with Reading CAD’s. I also found it expensive for what it was. And after the bumpy process I did not enjoy wearing the set and I’ve sold it...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your drawing idea is great! Do you have any ideas on the profile/gallery?
Count me in as another DK fan and love working with them!
Ask for quote on both his standard bench and his ‘Uber’ bench and what differences to expect on timeline, process and finish?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results