shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Dilemma for 10th anniv upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anika

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,
Can you bling gurus help me?
I have been a regular viewer here and this is my first post. I really need your help. I received a wonderful 1.23 ct RB F SI1 for my 10th anniv. It is a beautiful stone and has already been set in a simple six prong setting with a 3.5mm band but I want a setting with side stones and something that makes the centre stone look as massive as possible. The more I look on the web, the more I get confused. I really trust everyone''s collective experience so would love your help finding the perfect setting. Here is some things I like in a setting:

Setting wishlist:
1. Prong setting; modern classic ie nothing too way out (Knowing me I''ll want to change it otherwise!). Stone should not be "low set"
2. I quite like 6 claws- they should be substantial claws but not give the appearance of a hunk of metal. I saw some of the Mark Morrell prongs look quite substantial and rounded without looking too overpowering. Would this make the centre stone appear larger?
2. Side stones (round) in band - channel set or similar, not pave. Probably 0.05ct each and less would be plenty; anything more would get superpricey
3. Band width - wide enough so the ring can be worn on its own (ie I don''t intend to get a wedding band) but the right shape so it makes the centre stone appear as large as possible. Here is where I get confused; should I go for a band that is wide but tapers in towards the centre stone? The really skinny bands do enhance the centre stone but I think they are best with a wedding band which I don''t intend to get.
4. Platinum

Thanks in advance for your help!
35.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
You don''t ask for much!
2.gif

Welcome.

I think a custom piece is in your best interest. That way you get what you want.

Here''s a few I found:

PIPH6-MP-2_round.400x400.jpg

532E-ECL-20.400x400.jpg

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
hi! Anika
how about like this picture which e-ring one.
I belive signed pieces make only setting.

setting10101010101.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually sometimes I think if you plan to only wear one ring, a wider band actually makes the diamond look bigger. I had a coworker who only wore one band, had a 1.25c stone that was probably a bit deep and she had it in a wide baguette laden mixed gold/white band, totally not my style but it made the stone look very large on her hand. I actually tried it on and it looked good on my hand as well, go figure...anyway...I would get into the store and try on as many settings as possible and then make sure you know what will look good on you AND maximize the stone.. IMO it can be hard to look at pictures online until you *really* know what you are going for.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what about doing something like one of mm''s pieces but with the width of the band larger and therefore the channel set stones slightly larger. i love how his channel set melee tapers...

here is one shot of a 6 prong with some channel set melee. maybe this is about 2-2.5mm? what if you upped it to 3.5mm or similar?

mark morrell 6 prong yum.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and this is one of my all time favorite mm rings...

similar style 6 prong with channel taper...i am thinking this would look fab if it was thicker. maybe even 4mm.

how big is your center stone?

my favorite mm ring.jpg

soon to be mrs

Rough_Rock
Sorry to butt in but could someone please tell me who ''mm'' is? Thank you. And Mara that ring is to die for!
30.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 11:58:27 PM
Author: soon to be mrs
Sorry to butt in but could someone please tell me who 'mm' is? Thank you. And Mara that ring is to die for!
30.gif
Mark Morrell is a custom jeweler - see: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/

anika

Shiny_Rock
That MM ring is very nice! I was eyeing that one.
By the way Mara, my centre stone is 1.23 carat.
Do you think the setting is not too low?
Thanks everyone,

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
that MM ring is yummy
30.gif
30.gif
it does look like it sits lower than you may want. here''s a ring where the center stone sits a bit higher
63053.jpg

I agree with sevens about going custom. that way you can be sure to get everything you want
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
First Two from ez creations, last from DeNatle

ezcreations_1844_2693283.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

ezcreations_1847_97360441.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

posibblepretty.jpg

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like you should consult with a jewelry designer for what you''re looking for. Maybe he/she can come up with a sketch of what you''re looking for. Please keep us posted on what you choose!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results