shape
carat
color
clarity

setting change - your thoughts please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to get your opinions on a potential new setting for my ering.
I like mine a lot now but a friend of mine just got an e-ring and its a smaller stone than mine but looks HUGE.
It looks so sparkly and Large when side by side next to mine and I dont understand why -

Mine is: all princess - center 1.04 F color, VS1 - sides are .46 and .48 same color and clarity here is link: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_5923?filter_id=8

Hers is: oval - .76 H color, SI1, small tiny rounds on either side of center

I was told hers looks bigger because of how hers is set, its set higher.

with my ering - you can see the 3 princess cuts seem to blend together and the center one doesn''t "pop" so to speak, it doesn''t stand out really -
so if i were to get a new setting which would you recommend that would make a 1.04 ct look the biggest, ?

any thoughts/ input/ opinions would be appreciated. even if you just want to say im crazy and should leave my ring alone. lol

Rani

Rough_Rock
Hi,

How about a setting with different side stones? Maybe if you had a trilliant on either side it would allow the princess cut to stand out more.
Or you could opt for a solitaire setting which would definately let the princess shine alone
2.gif

If I were in your shoes I''d have it set as a solitaire with pave down the shank.

Hope this helps

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well ... one thing to keep in mind is that the reason that her stone might look bigger might simply be that, despite the lower weight, it *is* bigger ... or at least it faces up that way. A 1 ct. princess should face up 5.5 mm. to a side, or so: a .75 oval ... 7 by 4? 6 by 5? All of the handy charts on the "Diamond Size Comparison" thread seem to give ovals at either a half carat or a full carat, alas ... but it''s pretty generally accepted that princesses tend to be more deeply cut for their carat weight, and ovals, pears, and marquise tend to face up generously. Possibly a halo setting might be more satisfying to you, or a simple bezel? Both of those are great for maximizing the visual impact of a stone.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Ditto what Circe said. A 3/4 ct oval could have a very similar or larger face up area than 1 ct princess, depending on the cut. Also, an oval is a cut that most generally accept as having a sort of optical illusion effect of looking pretty large for the carat weight. It''s one of the shapes people recommend for when someone is asking what cut looks biggest visually... something about the elongated shape does it. Marquise also is that way typically. So, even if her oval is face up slightly smaller than your stone, it might just *look* bigger to the eye.

If you are not loving three stone look and want a larger appearing stone, a halo is a great way to go. Alternatively, a very thin shank (2mm or so) can make a center stone pop really well. Or both!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
may i suggest a micropave bezel on a micropave band.............it will really set it off

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
where can i find that?

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
would you want a pre-made mounting or have one made for your stone?

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
i guess i would like to have one made for my stone potentially - but where can i see what it would look like?

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
www.artofplatinum.com is great for ideas or custom................

i am thinking something like this r864 or r809 or r777 or r741.

go to the site and look at the catalogue

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
wow ! thanks i love them! great ideas. i really appreciate the feedback!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i have had a lot of custom jewelry made for myself and helped friends with e-rings etc and sometimes sidestones and mass dont make for a big looking stone or impressive ring.....................i think a 1 carat princess would look so elegant set more simply --i have a feeling the stones run together as you mentioned

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
another possibility is that all three stones are set something like r853

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you changing your ring in reaction to *one* girl''s larger-looking ering? Seriously? I ask because there''s ALWAYS gonna be someone in your life with a bigger e-ring. No matter how many times you change up. If that''s your primary motivation then I''d suggest you think about this a lot longer before messing up a perfectly good ring (one that you previously liked). There''s RISK in everything. You could damage the stone ... you could not like the new ring as much ... you could embarrass yourself by seemingly competing with her. JMHO.

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Agree as others have said that the oval, though smaller, can have the appearance of being larger due to the cut.

If you loved it before maybe you should sleep on it for a bit before you make any decisions. There really will always be larger rings out there that catch your eye.

If you really do want a different setting, I love this Tacori for a delicate halo, http://www.cornellsjewelers.com/shop3.cfm?subcat=10&bycategory=21&myproduct=2366 I believe it can be made w/ a pave band as well, or for a thin band that will make the center pop, I love the Ritani Endless Love no-halo version. Someone on PS had Whiteflash make a custom ring that was very similar but had a different profile, I wish I could find it....

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again, I just started thinking about potentially changing it so i will think about it much more before/if i do anything.................i also have to consider how changing my original ering will make FI feel - i haven''t brought it up to him yet as i do love my ring too - i guess the grass is always greener right?

I do love the suggestions you offered.
tx
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results