shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting and white gold plating questions

Blahthing

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am looking to get this setting but with white gold tulip/prongs (an example is here). I have a few questions - I have entered every search phrase I could think of into Google and Pricescope but not a lot of luck.

1. How would replating the white gold work? It is touching the yellow gold - how does the jeweller ensure that only the white gold part is plated and the yellow gold isn’t touched?

2. I was originally thinking of getting platinum but I’ve read that platinum scratches and loses it’s shine easily. Would it be noticeable on a setting? And is there a way to make the platinum shiny again?

3. I’ve read differing opinions on this topic but for the specific setting in question...would the coverage of the prongs affect the “sparkle” of the diamond? Due to light being blocked?

Thank you!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you buying the setting with a yellow gold band and white gold head (the prongs) or does the ring come as all yellow gold and you want to change the yellow gold prongs to white gold “plated”?
if the ring is being made with a white gold head it will stay that way. Even if you are having the head rhodium plated for extra white and shine, on the prongs it won’t wear off unless the prongs rub against another ring ie wedding band.
just to explain Rhodium plating is the typical way of giving extra bright white and shine. I have 18ct white gold but it is still sort of yellowish so every year I get my ring rhodium “replated” it costs $50.
but yes, they can “just plate” the part you want done, it’s not permanent it does wear off but it’s simple to get redone.
platinum is a beautiful metal but it’s more a greyish tone colour than bright white. Platinum does acquire a patina over time, some love it, others don’t.
I love a bright shiny look so that’s why I went with Rhodium plating over 18ct white gold. It’s a personal taste thing.

Blahthing

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response! The original ring design is all yellow gold. I've asked for a quote to have it made with a white gold tulip but I'm not sure if they're just going to plate over the yellow gold... I hadn't thought of that! I'm hoping they'll make the tulip out of white gold - I will have to make sure to check with them!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! I am looking to get this setting but with white gold tulip/prongs (an example is here). I have a few questions - I have entered every search phrase I could think of into Google and Pricescope but not a lot of luck.

1. How would replating the white gold work? It is touching the yellow gold - how does the jeweller ensure that only the white gold part is plated and the yellow gold isn’t touched?
The portion(s) to avoid plating is masked, and the portion(s) to plate is left exposed. The mask is removed after plating.

2. I was originally thinking of getting platinum but I’ve read that platinum scratches and loses it’s shine easily. Would it be noticeable on a setting? And is there a way to make the platinum shiny again?
I personally dislike plating - it wears off. I also dislike mixing gold and platinum for exactly this reason - they do wear differently. There are alloys of white gold that are extremely white, no plating required - these alloys generally use palladium rather than nickel. Combining inherently-white WG alloys with YG is my preference over both platinum + YG or plated WG + YG.

WhiteFlash made my mum a ring with 18k palladium WG (unplated) and 18k YG:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...mum-a-pressie-a-2-25ct-oec-five-stone.173503/
1578689234140.png

3. I’ve read differing opinions on this topic but for the specific setting in question...would the coverage of the prongs affect the “sparkle” of the diamond? Due to light being blocked?
Do you have information on your stone that you can share with us?

Blahthing

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the information! It’s so interesting to know they mask the ring and obvious now that I think about it.

I will look at palladium white gold - I didn’t know this was a thing!

I’ve changed my mind and decided to go for a lab created diamond instead - I don’t think I can post that here?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results