shape
carat
color
clarity

Sending 3.47 ct to Brian Gavin for a Recut

EliAdabela

Rough_Rock
I am new to Pricescope and this is my first post. I recently purchased a ring from a friend. She inherited it but is not the type to wear bling. I know little about diamonds but love them lots. When she told me she would sell it to me, I said I'd buy it on the spot. I really didn't even think about it. I just loved it from first sight. I got the stone, I was worried that I paid too much at $16,000. I didn't know the color, clarity or anything, only that I thought it was big and beautiful. When I received the ring, the paperwork said it was I color, and I1 clarity, good cut, 3.47 ct. The appraiser valued it in 2009, stone and platinum mounting for $22,000 for insurance purposes no doubt.No cert. I went to a local diamond buyer and he confirmed the color and clarity, said the cut would kill it if I sent it to GIA for a cert. He offered me $16,000 on the spot. Don't buyers pay 1/2 of the price we would pay to buy it retail or something like that? I was a little bit surprised. I went to another jeweler and he said the same about color and all. I had it sized to wear and told the jeweler I was sending it to Brian Gavin for a recut. He said don't send it anywhere, you will get ripped off basically and only do business with someone you know. He said it was sparkly enough. Well, I am still sending it to have BG take a look at it, but I am now afraid! Please tell me it will be o.k.! I hope my idea is a good one, possibly changing the cut quality to improve the stone. This ring is for my 20th anniversary, however that is not for 3 more years!!! LOL...I just got the gift early due to the circumstance. Don't think we would have ever looked at this size of a stone... Any thought from you experienced diamond folks????? Thanks. I also want to insure it first. Any recommedations??

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I had one recut by Brian Gavin. I mailed it registered mail, insured. He evaluated it and said there were no bothersome inclusions, and gave me a proposed recut plan. I approved the recut, and the stone actually didn't lose as much weight as he estimated. Happy customer.

But if yours is I1, then the types and locations of inclusions must be evaluated to see if they pose risks when cutting. If they do< Brian won't recut it.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It will be o.k.! Your idea is a good one, possibly changing the cut quality to improve the stone - no brainer.

EliAdabela

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your posts! Glad to hear I am going in the right direction.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Send it in. Brian will be honest with you. He has recut several stones for me.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may even come back with a higher clarity grade. I think twosanguinehearts had her stone recut and that is what happened with her. Just look up her posts. I bet BGD will make that into the most amazing and sparkly stone. I can't wait to see the results.

EliAdabela

Rough_Rock
Appreciate hearing from you. If he will recut it, I will be sure to post the before and after photos for you.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="EliAdabela I also want to insure it first. Any recommedations??[/quote]

yes. call Jewelers Mutual [Perfect Circle] and see what they say. 1-888-884-2424
They are a highly recommended company on PS. There may be others.
I just insured a loose diamond this morning with them that has been mailed to a jeweler for setting. They insure it because I have the setting & cost figured out.
It may turn out that they can't insure it because yours is being cut, etc., but it's worth finding out. It's insured while it's in the mail...but find out...will it be insured at BG? Will he also be setting it?

I think your project is very exciting!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are sending it to someone you know. There are numerous testimonies here on BG and recutting. He will not do it if the inclusions would be a problem. I had a 1 ct recut by him and it came back .80, but I'd rather have a great smaller stone than a poorly cut large stone. You have a good chance of yours staying over 3 cts, too!

Please come back and tell us what Brian says!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Even if it's not suitable for re cut, you can get back your $16k by selling it to the first jeweller should you not want the diamond. No harm sending it to BG for a look.

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
I had Brian recut my 3.3' came back a 3.05, it was an AGS XXX, now it's an AGS 000. I am very pleased. Will post pictures soon..

For me it was well worth it!

EliAdabela

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your support. Would love to see your "before" and "after"s. I am very excited now and will report back as soon as I know more.

EliAdabela

Rough_Rock
3.47ct Brian Gavin Recut Complete

I just received word that the recut is complete and the reports were just sent to me. I am so excited to see it! I can hardly wait! I wanted to share this info with those of you who commented earlier. Here are the before and after reports/images. I am not sure about what I see in the photos exactly but the difference is dramatic to my untrained eye. Would someone be able to explain what the white small triangles are on the sidesof the arrows. They are near the center of the stone. Would love to know. Here it is......Thank you to those who calmed my nerves when I was sending it in! Sooooo excited!

4965_kkramer_prerecut_sarin.jpg

5949_kkramer_recutfinal_hearts.jpg

5051_kkramer_prerecut_hearts.jpg

4407_kkramer_recutfinal_sarin.jpg

EliAdabela

Rough_Rock
More Images 3.47 ct to Brian Gavin for a Recut

Here are the arrows and ASET and Ideal Scope images.....

6242_kkramer_prerecut_arrows.jpg

1374_kkramer_recutfinal_arrows.jpg

6597_kkramer_prerecut_aset.jpg

7783_kkramer_recutfinal_aset.jpg

EliAdabela

Rough_Rock
And yet more....3.47 ct to Brian Gavin for a Recut

These are the Ideal Scope images before and after. Appreciate comments and some understanding of these.

Thank you,

6848_kkramer_prerecut_idealscope.jpg

4245_kkramer_recutfinal_ideal.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ohhhh, well, that might sparkle! :love: :appl: Will you have it sent for regrading?

Plans for a new setting? Spill!!

cheers--Sharon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG...you got a great looking stone!!! Did Brian say it was an H&A? Looks like it might qualify.

Great job!!!

Now, how are you going to set it???

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy crap. And its still over 3 CTS! God I love seeing stuff like this. Do you have any actual photos of stone before the cut??

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1402444413|3690470 said:
HI:

Ohhhh, well, that might sparkle! :love: :appl: Will you have it sent for regrading?

Plans for a new setting? Spill!!

cheers--Sharon
ditto! Wow, fantastic! :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, much better!... :appl: :appl:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to show us the real pics, I bet it is magnificent now!!!!

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a change. You are one lucky girl, BGD did a fantastic job. :appl:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Your stone got quite a makeover! Amazing!

EliAdabela

Rough_Rock
Yes, I plan to set it in it's original mounting if that is possible. I will attach photos of it before the recut. I was trying on bands to see what they looked like. BG is sending it to AGSL for a cert. Don't know how that will come out. Think it is an I color and I1 clarity. This is for my 20th anniversary. My husband is lucky that I didn't spend more than this for the upgrade! I just can't wait to see it. Here are the before photos with the orig setting and bands from the store.

before_recut_0.jpg

front_before_0.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian recut one for me also, and it came up beautifully. The cut on mine was absolute rubbish (no girdle whatsoever!), and I couldn't believe it when I got it back - it looked SO much whiter and more sparkly!

If he can work around the inclusions - he will. And if he can't - he'll tell you. And as someone else said - it may come back graded more highly. Happens sometimes and is always an unexpected bonus. Either way, it will come back looking a thousand % better than when you sent it to him.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see it finished! What an amazing transformation and you stayed above the 3 ct. mark. Wow!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wowsa. That is gorgeous.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow what a change. It is going to be gorgeous.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW :shock:

I'm no expert but the original cut was all over the place (although still looked like it had reasonable light return with only some slight leakage from the lower facets in the IdealScope pics?) whereas the recut looks amazing - that is seriously going to impress you when it arrives!

You probably shouldn't show it to the lady you bought it off when you get it, or mention how much it's worth if you have it re-valued - she will probably turn a shade of green and hate you... :mrgreen: :lol:

That will be worth a lot more than $16k when it's finished, I reckon!! (at which point you can say "look husband, I've saved us lots of money!" ;-) lol)

J SI1 3.09ct $31k
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/diamond_detail.php?id=1509154&ref=pricescope

I SI1 3.11ct $39k
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/diamond_detail.php?id=1485264&ref=pricescope

J SI1 3.06ct $33k
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/diamond_detail.php?id=1503082&ref=pricescope

I SI2 3.10ct $26.5k
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/diamond_detail.php?id=1530632&ref=pricescope

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That recut is going to be amazing!!!! :love: It will be worth more than you put into it, that is for sure! An I I1 is going to be worth less than the I SI2 posted above, but you still got a good deal for $16k plus around $1000 for recutting! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results