shape
carat
color
clarity

Senate GOP's campaign committee halts raising $$ for Roy Moore

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually heard people making excuses for him on TV yesterday.

And today this was reported on CNN:

Ed Henry, Republican Alabama State House made a statement saying
"If they believe this man is predatory, they are guilty of allowing him to exist for 40 years. Someone should prosecute and go after them,"

This Henry jerk was just on CNN. He thinks they should prosecute the woman who were abused by Moore.

So now victims of sexual assault should be viewed as accomplices for not reporting the crime.. This country continues to sink to new lows.

Last edited:

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want to try to make a difference, donate to Doug Jones' campaign. I have. He's Moore's opponent and some polls are showing the race as a dead heat. It's our chance to flip a Senate seat blue. We won't know if we can do it unless we try.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @rainwood . I was watching CNN tonight and listening to the comments of some of the people defending him made me sick. I will be happy to donate to his opponents campaign (you know I would be happy to do that!)

Tonight I learned I will NEVER step foot in Alabama.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been away (in Maine). Would someone tell me where the discussion of Roy Moore-the current discussion after today's revelation-is taking place? In which thread? I saw this thread and zeroed in on it when I first logged in. I just got home, but while driving I listened to Gloria Allred 's press conference on the radio and had such a strong physical reaction to it that I was afraid I was going to become sick in some way. I need to see what you are saying about it here. He strangled her.

AGBF

E B

Ideal_Rock
I have been away (in Maine). Would someone tell me where the discussion of Roy Moore-the current discussion after today's revelation-is taking place? In which thread? I saw this thread and zeroed in on it when I first logged in. I just got home, but while driving I listened to Gloria Allred 's press conference on the radio and had such a strong physical reaction to it that I was afraid I was going to become sick in some way. I need to see what you are saying about it here. He strangled her.

AGBF

Here, as far as I know. A new article just came out about how his predatory nature was 'well known' in his town, and he's denying ever knowing the woman he attacked (the one who came out with info today), despite his signature being in her YEARBOOK. He's a creep who hides behind the cross (seems a pretty common theme):

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/gadsden_residents_say_moores_b.html

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About the yearbook...

Roy Moore Is Not the World’s Brightest Alleged Child Molester
13-roy-moore-2.w710.h473.jpg

Roy Moore, non-genius. Photo: Bill Clark/CQ-Roll Call,Inc.

Beverly Young Nelson’s testimony today about the attempted rape she endured as a 16-year-old at the hands of Roy Moore does not tell us anything new about Moore’s character. He was clearly a serial predator of teenage girls, and even more accounts may well emerge. Nelson’s story does tell us something about Moore’s intelligence: He has even less of it than anybody could have imagined.

According to Nelson, Moore not only locked the car door and groped her, he signed her yearbook. Given that Moore apparently made a habit of attempting statutory rape, it would not require an abundance of caution for him to grasp that leaving behind a written record of his attraction to teen girls was inadvisable. And just to make it totally clear the perpetrator was himself, and not some other Roy Moore, he signed it, “Roy Moore, D.A.”

It had seemed for a while that Republicans might be able to defend Moore by insisting there was insufficient reason to believe his accusers. After all, in the pre-smartphone age, if you committed a crime like this, you had to go out of your way to leave evidence that would last. Moore, amazingly, seems to have done that.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here, as far as I know. A new article just came out about how his predatory nature was 'well known' in his town, and he's denying ever knowing the woman he attacked (the one who came out with info today), despite his signature being in her YEARBOOK. He's a creep who hides behind the cross (seems a pretty common theme):

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/gadsden_residents_say_moores_b.html

But wait! Don't answer yet! There's MORE MOORE!! (cute, huh???)

Because if we (53 pastors!) don't defend him how can we keep our own fiefdoms with access to nubile young fillies??
http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/13/53-pastors-defend-roy-moore-against-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

Christianity is not being assailed from the outside, it's devouring itself from within. Those who defend this are the same ones who just can't understand how the evil world keeps up the ever-increasing pace of calling BS on their pretensions to loftier morals than everyone else. And the same ones who also won't take responsibility for the exodus from the church that they themselves are creating.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article is more grist for ksinger's and Matata's mill. I have to admit that it shocked me, not because I have an especially good opinion of Evangelical Christians, but because I was completely unaware of their stance on child marriage and the machinations of Evangelical Christians to match young girls with older men.

AGBF

Link to story...http://beta.latimes.com/opinion/op-...moore-evangelical-culture-20171110-story.html

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump has ushered in a new America. :dance:
White child molesting Christian men are welcome at the highest levels of government when the majority of voters go for that kinda thing.:clap:
Wink Wink. Nudge Nudge.
Democracy is democracy, ya know. :appl:
Praise the Lord!

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump has ushered in a new America.
I don't think this is true, I think it's worse -- he's just legitimized and made publicly acceptable the immoral underbelly of this country. Kind of like when a whale dies -- it's majestic on the top side when it's alive but once dead, turns its bloated rotten corpse belly up for all to see. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To a sweeter more beautiful girl I could not say 'Merry Christmas'. Christmas 1977 Love, Roy Moore D.A.
12.22.77 Olde Hickory House
Olde Hickory House is where the teenaged Beverly Young worked part-time as a waitress.

p.s. Moore actually wasn't the elected District Attorney of the county, so had no legit reason for bestowing that title upon himself. Moore had graduated from law school just 6 months earlier & was a deputy DA:
https://www.annistonstar.com/free/f...cle_8934e304-c72c-11e7-b5e6-dfba009879c1.html

Roy Moore's inscription on HS yearbook pg.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To a sweeter more beautiful girl I could not say 'Merry Christmas'. Christmas 1977 Love, Roy Moore D.A.

Barf :confused2:

12.22.77 Olde Hickory House

Olde Hickory House is where the teenaged Beverly Young worked part-time as a waitress.

p.s. Moore actually wasn't the elected District Attorney of the county, so had no legit reason for bestowing that title upon himself. Moore had graduated from law school just 6 months earlier & was a deputy DA:
https://www.annistonstar.com/free/f...cle_8934e304-c72c-11e7-b5e6-dfba009879c1.html

Roy Moore's inscription on HS yearbook pg.png

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moore said he doesn't remember the restaurant. We need a barf emoji

Does anyone know what Fox News is reporting on this?

Republicans are now starting to standing against Moore. It will be interesting to see what the Alabama voters will do if Moore isn't removed from the ballot.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Republican leadership realizes that there could be lasting national negative repercussions if they allow Moore to take that seat. Alabama republicans and dug-in trumpsters may not see this yet, but the I think the leadership does. The question is, to what extent will the leadership take a chance and cross some of the party's core constituency to stop this trainwreck?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moore said he doesn't remember the restaurant. We need a barf emoji

Does anyone know what Fox News is reporting on this?

Republicans are now starting to standing against Moore. It will be interesting to see what the Alabama voters will do if Moore isn't removed from the ballot.
When I see multiple women come forward and I see the aggressor state he doesn’t remember a scene of his crimes, the first thought that goes through my mind is that he probably doesn’t remember it. He’s probably harmed so many women that they all blurred together.

Reactions: E B

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't lump all evangelical Christians together. All do not share the same views.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from the molestation of all those teenage girls, let us not fail to recognize the molestation of all of those Keurig machines due to the company pulling its ads from Fox thanks to Hannity's "coverage."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...es-keurig-after-it-pulls-ad-from-hannity-show

I particularly like the tweet (shown in the article link) that states:

Liberals are offended by this video of a Keurig being throw off of a building.

Well actualllllllly... liberals (and other people of morals, regardless of political--or any other--affiliation) are offended by the fact that a dirty old man molested a bunch of children.

There are also five other companies that pulled their advertising:

E*Trade
Eloquii
23andme
Nature's Bounty

And last but not least... Realtor.com

Speaking as a realtor myself I certainly hope no one decides to make a Keurig-esque statement by throwing one of US off the roof of a building. Just sayin'.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't lump all evangelical Christians together. All do not share the same views.

Yes, doing so is unfair, and actually too broad. Evangelical is not the same thing as fundamentalist, something that often gets missed by writers who haven't been steeped in an environment that's saturated with religion. Coming from Oklahoma, I have long understood the difference, on some level, but would be lousy at describing it, so (thank you interwebs!) I found this, which is a pretty good and reasonably short analysis of the differences. Pearlsngems, you can say if you think this is good or not.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jesus/evangelicals/vs.html

However, you might agree that the more out-there fundamentalists, even though they are a only a sub group of evangelicals, are giving all of you a very bad name at the moment. Time to start rebukin' the brethren.

We were at our favorite watering hole last night, and while discussing Moore and the support he's receiving from pastors, the guy who owns the place said, "What they don't understand, is they're doing lots of damage to Christianity. When you lose people over stuff like this, they never come in, or they never come back." And this from a guy who is Irish and Catholic (at least nominally), meaning he watched a lot of Catholics exit when the priest scandals happened. Heck, just look at what's happened in Ireland. The church losing its stranglehold on the general public, if not yet on government. Did anyone every thing that could happen? Our friend did not.

Defending the Moores of the world from the pulpit is going to shrink their pool of potential converts even more.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The beliefs of individual Christians about religious, social, political (etc.) topics occur along a continuum. I expect this is also true of non-Christians. Not all evangelicals think alike about everything. Not all fundamentalists think alike either.

I am disturbed by the wholesale vilification of a large swath of Christians. It is highly polarizing and based on false assumptions. Let's be more liberal-minded. Give people credit for having their own, well-thought out, individual opinions, and avoid sweeping condemnations.

I've had my say and won't comment further on this.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am disturbed by the wholesale vilification of a large swath of Christians. It is highly polarizing and based on false assumptions. Let's be more liberal-minded. Give people credit for having their own, well-thought out, individual opinions, and avoid sweeping condemnations.
Agreed that there are good and bad people in this world regardless of their religious beliefs or lack thereof. However, the broad swath of christians and other sects are not off the hook because their brethren may be more stringent in their application of their religious beliefs. All religions have their own dogma which contain the lessons and rules to which followers are supposed to adhere. In the 3 major world religions, that dogma is filled with rebuke, hate, fear, retribution. Those who believe and worship their deity are condoning and accepting the rebuke, hate, fear, retribution therein. Believers like to cherrypick their dogma claiming to adhere to the love and light and not the hate and darkness their dogma contains but that is a cop-out. When someone claims they are an "X" then they are branded by all that entails.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reserve the right to believe and act as seems right to me. You may call it cherrypicking, but I call it being intelligent.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reserve the right to believe and act as seems right to me. You may call it cherrypicking, but I call it being intelligent.
I want to have a legitimate discussion on this and not an argument so please interpret my question as non argumentative and an opportunity to inform an atheist. When you use your intelligence to decide what seems right to you, how do you reconcile that with your belief system? It implies that you think some of your religion's dogma is incorrect or untrue which is antithetical to the belief that god is perfect and can't make mistakes. I'm stuck on the concept that if you use your intelligence to guide how you interpret and act on your particular religion's dogma, then you are choosing (in some circumstances) what to believe and how to act in contradiction to the word of god.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The major three monotheistic religions (Judiasm, Christianity, Islam), historically have been very patriarchal. As times changed, and we are in modern culture, the different religions adapted. For many what happened was a division, from say Orthodox Judaism and reform, fundamentalist versus more and more Methodist types. I am least familiar with islam, but it seems that some countries (Saudi Arabia) are very fundamentalist, while other countries, are less so. The way I feel, my own opinion is God is God. God is the same everywhere, but people and cultures interpret it differently. I don't think God would give females the same intelligence, emotions, and capabilities as a man, but expect women to exist as second class citizens. Why give humans minds, and then ask us not to use them? Unfortunately I feel that organized religions were often used to keep the status quo, particularly those in power, the men. Even if the actual religion, say what Jesus taught, said otherwise. I'm sorry if this is too controversial.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spoke too casually when I painted all "Evangelical Christians" with the same brush. Thank you for (gently) pointing it out pearlngems. I prefer to speak and write clearly, but emotion often makes me rush and not take the time be as clear as I might be.

Someone on television made the point that African-American Evangelical Christians have an entirely different culture from that of white Evangelical Christians. I obviously did not mention that, either. This is not actually a simple topic. Like Matata, if others could handle it, I would be glad to explore it in more depth...somewhere.

I do not happen to be an atheist, but I do not know if my personal beliefs matter. I try to be respectful of everyone's views.

AGBF

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Aside from the molestation of all those teenage girls, let us not fail to recognize the molestation of all of those Keurig machines due to the company pulling its ads from Fox thanks to Hannity's "coverage."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...es-keurig-after-it-pulls-ad-from-hannity-show

I particularly like the tweet (shown in the article link) that states:

Liberals are offended by this video of a Keurig being throw off of a building.

Well actualllllllly... liberals (and other people of morals, regardless of political--or any other--affiliation) are offended by the fact that a dirty old man molested a bunch of children.

There are also five other companies that pulled their advertising:

E*Trade
Eloquii
23andme
Nature's Bounty

And last but not least... Realtor.com

Speaking as a realtor myself I certainly hope no one decides to make a Keurig-esque statement by throwing one of US off the roof of a building. Just sayin'.

@Dee*Jay Here's the weirder part of this. Realtor.com is owned by News Corporation which is the parent company of Fox Television which is the parent of Fox News which is the network that broadcasts Hannity. So realtor.com is pulling their advertising on Hannity even though they are all owned by the same parent corporation. Maybe they don't want everyone to know they are a Murdoch enterprise too.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay Here's the weirder part of this. Realtor.com is owned by News Corporation which is the parent company of Fox Television which is the parent of Fox News which is the network that broadcasts Hannity. So realtor.com is pulling their advertising on Hannity even though they are all owned by the same parent corporation. Maybe they don't want everyone to know they are a Murdoch enterprise too.

O, what a tangled web we weave...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This liberal is deeply offended by Keürig machines themselves.
954,875,412,548,798,564 plastic pods going into the trash every second is a travesty.
Half of them are swallowed by cute baby seals with big sad eyes.

The machines are overpriced, the pods are overpriced, and the fracking Keürig products take up 723 aisles at Costco. :angryfire:

I rank Keürigs down there with Television, SUVs and Sarah Palin. :knockout:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The things I have heard many so called "good christians" saying regarding Moore are appalling. I could careless what religion you are. If you are standing with this man you are morally corrupt. The people that are making these comments and talking about their religion in the same sentence, it makes me question their religion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results