shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling engagement/wedding ring on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tranquiltropic

Rough_Rock
Hi-

I posted yesterday about the resale value of my engagement/wedding rings (both in platinum with .25c channel set H/VSII; 1c princess cut E/VSI GIA certified in the engagement ring) and got a few encouraging responses. Basically, today I heard back from the jeweler who I was trying to sell them to and they said that my rings aren''t the "kind they typically buy" but had a dealer interested for about $3k total for both. (exactly what I hoped for).

However, they suggested I could get more by trying sell them on Ebay...estimated $4k for the engagement ring and $500 for the wedding band.

What are your thoughts? Maybe Ebay has improved but I''ve been burned a couple times in the past from sellers so I am a bit skeptical. It doesn''t seem like there is an easy way to look/search for jewelry, especially diamond jewelry, on Ebay. Sure you can pick used, price range, metal, etc but not size or diamond grade/clarity etc...

It just seems like there is a lot out there and most of the stuff is "Buy It Now" with no "bidding" and I don''t know/can''t tell how successful any of the items are actually selling for.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well you can certainly try but honestly I would take the $3k. I think $4500 is VERY optimistic for ebay. VERY.

Then you have to pay fees, deal with a buyer, etc. Not worth it IMO if you have someone willing to give you $3k.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I would just take the cash from the jeweler. Ebay has no guarantees that your item will sell and people are often hesitant to buy big ticket items and jewelry on ebay. I wouldn't buy jewelry unless it had a return policy (so even if you sold it and thought things were all set, then you'd still have to deal with the possiblity of a return.)

tranquiltropic

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, both of your responses were exactly how I was feeling. It''s not even that I need/want the money right away, I just think Ebay can be a hassle, especially with big ticket items (I am having enough trouble trying to sell a used digital camera; nevermind expensive jewelry!) and don''t want to have to worry about if they sell and if someone wants to return them...

It also helped that the $3k offer was the number I had floating around in my head that I would accept/be happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results