shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling Diamond Rings (Newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tracey

Rough_Rock
I was wanting to sell my diamond wedding ring. It''s total carots is 2.3 appox. It''s a pear shape but not sure of the clarity I can''t find my papers. Anyhow I know what I payed for it in SanFrancisco at a Jewelry Wholesale place. I just got their buy cash appraisal and oh my god it was ridiculous! What is the best way to sell your jewelry? I paid at least $3700 and it''s appraised at $10,000 how could a jewelry shop actually offer me this! It was astounding to me! If you could get back to me I''d sure appreciate it! My email is [email protected] also if you would like to talk to me there.
Tracey

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tracey, unfortunately you probaly won't get near to what you paid for the ring or stone. There is a market for certain types of investment jewelry, but unless you have the contacts to make that happen, it will be hard for you to find a good buyer. You can try the classifieds or eBay and see what you find. eBay will maybe net you around 30% of your purchase price. Consignment is another option, if you can find a local jeweler to sell it for you, give them 20% or similar of the proceeds.

However, the cash value from the store you bought it from may be your best option. Re-selling diamonds and rings for near to what you paid is more difficult than one would think.

Good luck!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Tracey!
wavey.gif

Here is a link to a thread about selling diamonds and jewelry. You'll find some useful info and tips there.

Here is a link regarding jewelry appraisals with some good info for you.
1.gif

unc1

Rough_Rock
Tracey,

I was recently in a similar position. My husband and I were interested in upgrading my engagement and wedding rings and wished to sell the originals so we could put that money toward a larger stone. I had an EGL-certified 1.08ct F VS1 RB with 1.10ctw of baguettes across both rings.

We actually had tremendous success on eBay. I had my doubts -- It's so flooded with online stores and "no-reserve" price postings. We had to relist the wedding set a couple times (lowering the price slightly each time), but we eventually managed to sell the lot for $7000 -- THE FULL PRICE WE HAD PAID A DIAMOND BROKER FOR IT THREE YEARS EARLIER!!

Perhaps we just got lucky, but I can vouch for the fact that eBay is definitely worth trying. Best of luck to you!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow unc1 that is practically unheard of! Sounds like you had good timing on your side as well. Sometimes eBay is all about timing, it's such an odd bird. I have had to relist things before as well and then suddenly someone just comes along and buys it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results