shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling diamond ring... advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anya_xo

Rough_Rock
Hi, my partner and I have broken up & would like to sell the engagement ring that we purchased. How would we best go about this? It cost between $5-$10K and has hardly been worn (we were only engaged briefly). Would we go back to the jeweller that we purchased it from? eBay doesn''t seem to cater for jewellery this expensive. Can anyone please help with some advice? The diamonds are not certified but came from a very reputable jeweler in Australia. thanks!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome and I am so sorry to hear about your engagement. Regarding your question, this thread may help -
Reselling jewellery - what to expect.

Unfortunately, it is usual to only recoup around 50 % or less of what you paid for it. If you have a GIA or AGS report, this can make selling easier, other lab reports not so much, even less if no lab report. Round diamonds are generally also the easiest shape diamond to resell.

The options are ( detailed further in the above thread) to contact a jeweller about a consignment program, usually you need a GIA or AGS report, or the jeweller might be able to advise you on how to get one if needed. If a sale results, the jeweller then takes a commission, but this can take time. If you see another piece of jewellery you like, you could see if you could trade in the current ring towards it. Or you could try selling it yourself, but this may again take some time. I hope some of this helps, and I wish you luck with selling the ring!

Hopefully you might get some expert advice on your thread shortly!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selling jewelry is hard. Your best bet might be going with consignment. I know that Pearlman's does this. They are one of the vendors that areliked around PS.
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
First off, Im sorry to hear the circumstances that have led to you wanting to sell the ring. (Although better now than latter).

I would definately try the shop you purchased this ring from and see if they can help you out (as well as themselves).

You could also try ebay as they are selling expensive stuff these days. If you were to try to sell it yourself it would help the sale if you could provide more stats about it.

There is no stigma about the diamond being second hand that effects the price. Infact any jeweller would put it back in stock as a new diamond.

Some of the problems facing individuals who want to sell their old jewellery is a lack of info. on their diamonds and not being able to reach their target buyers. Diamonds vary so much in price that any discrepancy in the info can proove to be a huge difference in what the price should be. The idea of buying a diamond on the basis of someones word can be very risky for the buyer.

Also, saying you paid between 5 and 10 thousand dollars is a huge range, and not very informative.

Good luck, I am an Aussie too.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
being that you have no certificates on it you''ll probably get the most value from the jeweler you purchases it from since he knows exactly what kind of stone it was loose.

any other jeweler you''d approach with the offer to buy it while in the setting will logically have to eyeball the grading on the harsh side both in color and clarity (besides for carat weight if you really have absolutely no papers on the stone). === $$less value

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results