shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling "bad" diamonds

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Dear PSers

This might seem like a weird question, but here I go anyway. Pre (but even) during Pricescope I made some really bad buying decisions (online auctions with no return policy, stupid, I know), resulting in being stuck with some diamonds I'd never actually wear. I mean - it almost hurts me physically to look at them. Anyways. I didn't pay much (but too much) and I can't just throw them away of course. But knowing (in the meantime) quite a few things about diamonds I also feel very uncomfortable selling them. Have you had this dilemma and how did you deal with it? Just being brutally honest - with the result that either no-one buys at all or selling for much, much less than I bought (I'd live with that but still feel bad to sell at all).

Thank you for your advise!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any projects coming up that you could use these as a trade in? Or any family members (that aren’t PSers ;)2 ) you could gift to?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. Trade in. I have some items that I know there is 0 way anybody would ever buy from me because they are ugly on top of everything else so I plan on scrapping them with my jeweller when it's time for my next project because they will give me some store credit for it. Might not be tons but hey if it's enough to cover the taxes I'll be thrilled lol.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you'll never wear them, I do urge you to try to sell -- not everyone has the same taste, budget, and/or intention for each piece of jewelry ... there may well be people out there who find your items to be just what they're looking for.

If it were me, I'd select two or three of your pieces you wish to part with, and create listings for Diamondbistro.

I think your item descriptions need to be honest but not "brutally honest" -- hopefully the original item descriptions were factually correct and you could base your listings on that info?

As appropriate, use phrasing like:

--- "Represented to me as near colorless diamonds, to my eyes they read warmer but still sparkly" [or however the reality may deviate from original listing in your opinion].

--- "The overall piece is true to its period and attractive although the diamonds are average quality at best" [or whatever is true]

Take some clear photos in at least two different lighting environments. Determine a fair price based on what you paid, what similar items are listed for, and what kind of loss you're willing to take in order to facilitate a sale.

If the listings don't get any traction, consider lowering the price. If still no interest, then perhaps consider putting them aside for now, or selling for scrap metal value.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could contact WPDiamonds or Abe Mor to see how much they'd offer.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any heart cut stone by any chance?

I would like to add a heart cut stone to be simply set in a Gypsy setting as a RHR some time in the future, probably in Q4 next year.

Genuine question and consideration.

DK :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always go the brutally honest route. Especially with PSers. It doesn’t net me top dollar for those pieces, but it does (I think!!) make people more inclined to believe my opinions and feel comfortable buying other preloved pieces from me… Because I’ve proven that I will be 100% forthright in what I say.

Ditto prior posters. Lots of photos. Not everyone wants precision cut stones for every project. Perhaps someone’s looking for some cheaper stones for a child or pet project… And yours might fit the bill perfectly ::) I will say that brutal honesty has - for me - resulted in quick sales and happy PS buyers 100% of the time, but I have never made my money back on “bad” buys, because it’s always the case that I overpaid and I wouldn’t want to pass the loss onto another PSer.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not everyone wants precision cut stones for every project. Perhaps someone’s looking for some cheaper stones for a child or pet project… And yours might fit the bill perfectly ::)

That's me alright, hence I asked if a heart cut stone is available.

My day to day 0.47ct EC is not a nice stone by any means.

And the 0.86ct OEC I recently purchased from I&R is not precision cut.

However, they suit my needs and wants.

Similarly, I am looking to get a lower colour heart cut stone, H to J, SI clarity, and as big a stone as my budget allows.

This is to tick the box of a pet project, to get myself a heart cut stone as no one is going to get it for me.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn’t even sell BGD diamonds on here or Loupe Troop so I have no advice. Diamonds are hard to resell even if they are good ones.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Any heart cut stone by any chance?

I would like to add a heart cut stone to be simply set in a Gypsy setting as a RHR some time in the future, probably in Q4 next year.

Genuine question and consideration.

I couldn’t even sell BGD diamonds on here or Loupe Troop so I have no advice. Diamonds are hard to resell even if they are good ones.

Oh, I‘m sorry, no heart shaped one :(

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for all the advice. The pieces itself are rather pretty, it‘s just the diamonds. Included, cloudy, fish eyed, etc.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But knowing (in the meantime) quite a few things about diamonds I also feel very uncomfortable selling them

You are about to embark on a very promising eBay or LoupeTroop career! :lol-2:

No, if you have any serious doubts or there are hidden flaws, I would only consign them. There are a handful of vendors that folks here seem to use. A random jeweler who is not a high-volume reseller would offer a dime or two on the dollar.

If they are merely low-color or not ideal-cut, I think you are just like the rest of us and there is no need to hang your head in shame. I'm sure that's 90 - 99% of the re-sale market.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
You are about to embark on a very promising eBay or LoupeTroop career! :lol-2:

No, if you have any serious doubts or there are hidden flaws, I would only consign them. There are a handful of vendors that folks here seem to use. A random jeweler who is not a high-volume reseller would offer a dime or two on the dollar.

If they are merely low-color or not ideal-cut, I think you are just like the rest of us and there is no need to hang your head in shame. I'm sure that's 90 - 99% of the re-sale market.
And actually, a vast majority of the market won't actually care. They still want X carat, colour and cut is last.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clean them in a magnasonic

elizat

Ideal_Rock
ditto to what @marymm said. There is likely a buyer, but you may sell for a very discounted price. If I don't wear something, I would prefer to either gift it, sell it or otherwise not have it. I don't like to have excess stuff though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results