shape
carat
color
clarity

Sell Diamond Back or Not to Sell

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peekacoo

Rough_Rock
I purchased a certified EGL diamond (G-VVS1) back in 2001 and have lost my EGL certificate since. I called the original jewelry store and they no longer have me on record/files. I called EGL to see if they could obtain the copy but without any of the certificate information they couldn''t help me either. The deal was if I decided to sell the diamond back to the store I would only lose 10% of the orig. purchase price (10k) which means I would get back 9k. I''m wondering if it''s a better deal to just get the diamond certified again and get an appraisal to find out which way is worth more and if I should sell the diamond back to the original store. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you ever get this ring appraised??

peekacoo

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I did not.

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
Pretty sure that a business has to hold its records for 7 years (for the IRS). If so the company you bought it from just doesn''t want to honor their guarentee, which is pretty generous, are you sure that it was not a 90% credit toward buying something else? Was it laser inscribed with the EGL number on the girdle? Other than that, if you get it appraised and it doesn''t come out as good as EGL certed it for, what then. I would say that your best bet is to get it appraised and try to sell it privately. If you try to sell it back to the trade you will loose the most, and probally only get back about 20% or less of what you orginally paid.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to take a guess here - but getting it recertified by EGL is probably going to cost, say around 200? I don''t know but for example say it did. Then you''d have to cover the shipping back and forth - and maybe, possibly work with the jeweler to get this done. Let''s say that costs you another $200.

So you''d be out 400 to get that $1000. Plus the weeks of wait and the hassle and or risk of shipping the stone.

I don''t know.. 9600 vs 9000. I''d try to put some pressure on the jewelery store to do something. If it''s a credit toward other items at the same store, and you have proof they you bought it from them, maybe they could come at least to 9,500??

Did you check everywhere for the cert?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results