shape
carat
color
clarity

Seen the new Arkansas quarter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It has a big diamond on the reverse. I wonder how many people actually know why they choose a diamond?

I like the States who choose an obscure reference for the images on their quarters. My favorite is the tree on the Connecticut. I don''t know anything about the tree, but the engraving is marvelous.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why did they choose a diamond, RA?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, boy!! We're there.
naughty.gif
Selling the townhouse...

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL... can someone say ... ROADTRIP!
1.gif

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
I sort of liked the "other" Arkansas quarter that was floating around last year. The "Birthplace of Clinton" theme worked well.
It's dangerous letting people with sick senses of humor cut loose on coin die cutting equipment...
rolleyes.gif

Mara, for information, look into Arkansas diamonds or the Uncle Sam diamond. There were apparently a lot of diamonds to be found in the short periods of time things didn't keep burning down or blowing up. For information on that, look up DeBeers....

cquarter1.jpg

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
Hi, the reason most likly for Arkansas having a Diamond on the back is becuase it was the first place where diamonds were found in the rock the United States, there is a kimberlite pipe there called Crater of Diamonds and was the only known source of Diamonds in the US untill they started finding Kimberlite in Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana and a few other places as well. Currently Colorado has the only Comercial Diamond mine in the US Largest rough stone so far 27 carats if I remember correctly. I think it was cut to a 13 carat stone.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Clinton was such a fine president, I hate to see him treated so unfairly.

AR_winner[1].gif

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
"Crater of Diamonds"

My favorite place.

Joker....

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Howdy stranger.

I hear you've been to the park and picked up a few pebbles. Go ahead and brag.
1.gif

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Arkansas sent me the following letter on one I found there.

Joker....

Pick 005.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
The Crater of Diamonds is a nice tourist attraction, but it's no place to get rich. A few nice diamonds have been found there (including the Uncle Sam, the largest ever discovered in the US, a whopping 40.42 ct), but it's not a significant deposit. If it were, it would be mined commercially.

There is apparently one guy who has been working the park for about 30 years and knows it like nobody else. When he was interviewed by National Geographic a couple of years ago, he said he typically found enough diamonds to cover the gas costs of driving to and from the park.

Just something to keep in mind. /idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
LG, you have effectively broken my heart and shattered all my dreams in one post. Thanks!

I guess I should unpack the Winnebago and cancel my Arkansas shanty-by-the-crater lease!
6.gif
cry.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Then again, one first time visitor a few years back found a three ct stone that was cut into a 1+ ct D-FL AGS000.
9.gif

Hitting the lottery is tough, but someone has to do it.
2.gif

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Lawgem:
You must get your story correct. Shirley was not a first time visitor (The Wagner name was part of the history of the Crater.) The D Flawless 1ct+ diamond is on display at the visitor center for all to see. Do a Google search on The Wagner Diamond if you need more info.
Joker....

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Here's some info I easily found.

Another notable diamond from the Crater is the flawless "Strawn-Wagner Diamond," the most perfect diamond ever certified in the laboratory of the American Gem Society. Shirley Strawn of Murfreesboro, Arkansas discovered the 3.03-carat white gem in 1990. She worked with Bill Underwood of Underwood's Fine Jewelers of Fayetteville, Arkansas in 1997 to have the gem cut. Underwood sent the diamond sent to Lazare Kaplan International in New York, the world's premier diamond cutter, for cutting. The gem was cut to perfection to 1.09-carat round brilliant shape featuring an "Ideal Cut." This cut allows for the maximum amount of light to be reflected from one facet to another and up through the top. The diamond was graded "D" flawless, O/O/O (for cut/color/clarity), the highest grade a diamond can achieve. This is a museum-quality stone. The dazzling gem rests in a custom-made ring setting specially designed and crafted by Underwood's to symbolize Arkansas, The Natural State using pure platinum and pure 24-carat gold, both in their natural form with no alloys. Two 24-carat, gold apple blossoms representing Arkansas's state flower rest on each side of the crown.

Joker....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results