shape
carat
color
clarity

Seen anything like this yellow/peach Montana sapphire?

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
Long time lurker! First off, I can't thank everyone in this forum enough for all their insight. I've been reading Pricescope for about a decade (yikes), and as my own search for a colored stone for an engagement ring has heated up in the past year, this forum has been invaluable. Thank you!

While being mostly drawn to blue/green Montanas and light pink sapphires, months ago I began stalking this unique yellowy-peach Montana sapphire. My SO and I decided that we'd finally contact Gemfix and place an order after holiday madness died down. Wouldn't you know it -- the very day we emailed Laura last week, this sapphire went out of stock. :( We hoped that maybe it would come back, but alas, Laura told us yesterday that the sale is now final.

I'm still very excited about a number of other stones we plan to order, and Laura has been so helpful narrowing our search of blue/green and pink sapphires. But I can't get this guy out of my head! It was such a unique color for a sapphire. Has anyone seen anything like this elsewhere?

montana_508.png

S

SparkliesLuver

Welcome to PS, officially! :wavey:

I realize you're primarily wanting to know about yellow/peachy sapphires, but I'd be completely remiss if I didn't post this 3.89ct amazingly beautiful blue-green Montana sapphire.

ETA: Would you be open to a light yellow or does it have to have some peach in there?

_35983.jpg

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks, SparkliesLuver! Oh man, that is gorgeous. I worry this thread is going to confuse me further! ;-) Where is that from? Looks like an Earth's Treasury photo, but I can't seem to find it on the site...

As to your question -- I could be open to light yellow. What I liked about the peach undertone was that it added some warmth...I think I just really don't like the super BRIGHT, super saturated yellow color I often see in sapphires. (I have this weird preference for muted/light/gray stones!)

S

SparkliesLuver

You're welcome! hahaha You're right, it is one of Jeff's. He completed it yesterday so I'm sure he hasn't added it to his site yet. Just shoot him an email, if you're interested.

The reason I ask is because I came across this and found it quite pretty. It's 2.46cts, 7.7mm, heated, Ceylon sapphire. Let me know if you're interested because I'll refer you to someone who can find out more (as the vendor doesn't deal directly with consumers).

_887.png

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
I love the color of that light yellow Ceylon sapphire! I'm not as drawn to round cuts (I tend to prefer slightly elongated shapes -- rectangular cushions, radiants, oval, etc.), but it's not a disqualifier. Going on my Pinterest board for now...

S

SparkliesLuver

Good to know! I'll keep that in mind when looking. The same vendor also has this...

_888.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered chrysoberyl?

It won't have peach undertones, but it'll have muted yellows.

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Niel! I haven't really considered chrysoberyl -- doesn't it usually have green-ish undertones? (As much as I love blue-green Montanas, I don't like the look yellow-green or green-yellow stones.) But if it comes in neutral, muted yellows, maybe I should take a second look!

Is chrysoberyl hard/durable enough for an everyday engagement ring?

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver, do you know the dimensions on that guy?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen some pale yellow chrysoberyl and yes, they are more durable than sapphires.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one I had,now rizcos

I know Jeff white has some rough he said was yellow, might be worth inquiring...its really a very reasonably priced stone, might be able to get quite a nice one for your budget

img_20150620_4.jpg

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chrono, good to know! I'm off to research chrysoberyl. Good thing it's a slow day at the office today...

S

SparkliesLuver

ravengirl said:
SparkliesLuver, do you know the dimensions on that guy?

1.66cts, 7x5mm, unheated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
Niel, the ring that is now rizcos is beautiful! The AJS gem you posted looks very greenish-yellow to my eye.

Chrono -- yeah, I'd say the first one you posted is too pale. The second one is described as light green, so probably not what I'm looking for either. But thank you so much for looking!

I think chrysoberyl is likely not the stone for me. The 1.66 light yellow sapphire SparkliesLuver posted is probably the closest contender...but I may just have to accept that I'm not going to find that peachy-yellow again. Ho hum. Makes losing it sting all the more!

S

SparkliesLuver

I'll inquire about the 1.66ct and keep you posted. ETA: $750-ish. :)

ETA: What's your budget? I found another one (from a different vendor), but I don't want to post it if it's over your budget.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1452612401|3974753 said:
I've seen some pale yellow chrysoberyl and yes, they are more durable than sapphires.

Chrysoberyl has good cleavage and sapphire has none. Chrysoberyl also has a hardness of 8.5 while sapphire is a 9. In what way would you consider chrysoberyl to have better durability than sapphire? I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'd never heard that before and I'm curious Chrono.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1452624494|3974841 said:
Chrono|1452612401|3974753 said:

Chrysoberyl has good cleavage and sapphire has none. Chrysoberyl also has a hardness of 8.5 while sapphire is a 9. In what way would you consider chrysoberyl to have better durability than sapphire? I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'd never heard that before and I'm curious Chrono.

Sorry, I got the 2 mixed up. For some reason I thought it was the other way around. :oops:

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1452623239|3974830 said:
I'll inquire about the 1.66ct and keep you posted. ETA: $750-ish. :)

ETA: What's your budget? I found another one (from a different vendor), but I don't want to post it if it's over your budget.

Holy moly, that's a lot cheaper than the other stones we are looking at! SO would love that, ha. In general, we're looking at stones anywhere from $2000-$5000. Although my current front-runner is over $5k, so if it's particularly amazing, there's some flexibility.

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1452623935|3974834 said:
I did find this, although I'd proceed with a bit of caution with this vendor. If you're interested, you might just have to see it in person to decide.

1.47 ct
8 x 5.3 mm
Eye clean
$890
https://www.etsy.com/listing/250266382/peach-champagne-sapphire-radiant-cut-for?ref=shop_home_active_1&ga_search_query=peach

(The one I mentioned above, but didn't post, is also from this vendor...if you look I'm sure you can find it.)

Thanks -- this is definitely the closest in color to what I was envisioning! Peach champagne. The cut isn't doing much for me, but I found the other one you were referencing. I'll take a closer look at it.

When you said to proceed with caution with this vendor...can you elaborate?

S

SparkliesLuver

Good, I'm glad you found the other one. It looked quite promising, but it also had a decently hefty price tag.

I believe his pictures aren't always 100% accurate. That's why I made a comment about seeing it in person to decide, if you're genuinely interested. Just make sure to ask his return policy and such before ordering, if you do. There are some people here though who have found their stones from him, so it's not like a beware warning or anything. haha

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1452626086|3974859 said:
Good, I'm glad you found the other one. It looked quite promising, but it also had a decently hefty price tag.

I believe his pictures aren't always 100% accurate. That's why I made a comment about seeing it in person to decide, if you're genuinely interested. Just make sure to ask his return policy and such before ordering, if you do. There are some people here though who have found their stones from him, so it's not like a beware warning or anything. haha

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up! I've requested a video of the other one.

S

SparkliesLuver

Perfect! I was hoping you would. :naughty:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw this and thought of you. Would look killer in the right halo. Which you could afford this us very inexpensive

fb_img_1452647543992.jpg

fb_img_1452647439642.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your budget 2-5K for both stone and setting?

Just in case you are open to the slightly yellow color that Neil posted, here are a few potential options from DBL (some may be over budget if I was right about 2-5K including setting, but just to give an idea of potential things...)

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-119ct-radiant-cut-w-x-natural-light-yellow-si1-gia-great-bargain-r3662

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-old-mine-diamond-107ct-w-xvvs2-branded-dbl-modern-antique-diamond-gia-r4769

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-62ct-y-z-internally-flawless-cushion-cut-gia-amazing-cut-r6011

Also, I have to include this link because it's one of my all time favorite montana sapphires in a ring. Obviously it's the blue/green type of sapphire, but I wanted to post it just in case https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Estate-Rings/267ct-Montana-Sapphire-Halo/

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dan Stair has posted Montana sapphires of all different colours. They are usually pretty small, but you could ask him what he has in stock, or could get with your budget.

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks, lovedogs, for all the links! No, 2-5k is my budget for just the stone. We're probably looking at anther 2-4k for the setting, but that's happening later mostly outside of my influence. Boyfriend wants my help picking the stone -- as I am much more picky about the stone, and compared to him (and thanks to years of lurking!), more knowledgable. Then he'll have the freedom to construct the rest of the ring from there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results