shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Setting

pontoon

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I just went ring shopping with my girlfriend. I think we’ve got it narrowed down pretty well. Unfortunately what I’m trying to find doesn’t seem common. I’m wondering if there’s a reason (I.e. the settings we like are a bad idea)?

The settings we like the most seem to be:

- Four prong
- Holding a 1.3-1.8 caret EC or oval cut center stone.
- Small side baguettes (either) or pears (oval)
- baguettes can be elevated off the band gaining height as they approach the center stone
- pears can be set more or less on the band
- center stone prongs start in a v shape coming out of the band
- no bridge on the four prongs of the center stone

The last point is what’s making my shopping really difficult. Almost all rings I’m seeing have a horizontal bridge between the four prongs that hold the center stone.

Does anyone know why? Does anyone have links to likely settings? I’m trying to be budget conscious on the setting if possible but would spend more if it’s worth it.

Blue Nile has something close but it does have a bridge unfortunately (even though some pics omit this...)
here’s a pic of a setting with oval and pears. It shows how the prongs are V shaped and have no bridge. A similar setting with baguettes would be good too.
6CBD51E9-E2F2-4A2F-8CE5-2AD7220C36E1.jpeg

I’m including the pic from Blue Nile even though the pic is false from what I’m told by their staff. They tell me once set it would have a bridge. Is this common that the bridge is added later? In person I found two rings so far with no bridge.

86BE3084-16A0-4D93-AD12-349AB9C61414.png

Last edited:

pontoon

Rough_Rock
Correction: I’m looking for a setting that doesn’t have a gallery rail/support. I learned the bridge is at the base of the ring and that’s something I like.

Is the gallery rail important to avoid losing the center stone?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correction: I’m looking for a setting that doesn’t have a gallery rail/support. I learned the bridge is at the base of the ring and that’s something I like.

Is the gallery rail important to avoid losing the center stone?

I imagine it is there for increased stability/durability.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Quite honestly, if you have it where the center is set in a basket, it looks more cohesive and intentional. The way you show it in the photo is basically a semi-mount where a 4 prong head was attached.

pontoon

Rough_Rock
Thanks, that’s a fair point. I can live with the aesthetics of the gallery rail and would definitely enjoy the peace of mind knowing the center stone is less likely to be lost.

What’s the best source for a good value platinum setting with tapered baguettes? Bonus points for using lab diamonds on the baguettes (my girlfriend def prefers lab diamonds), and if the setting is somewhat more delicate looking. I suppose at this point the blue Nile setting fits the bill reasonably well except the diamonds are of unknown provenance. Cheaper would still be better of course...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results