shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking opinions on Whiteflash v. Bluenile....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewRockHunter

Rough_Rock
Hello. I posted last night about a diamond that I purchased from BlueNile that has a greyish hue in certain light conditions. I got a few recommendations to purchase from Whiteflash rather than Bluenile. Well, I guess I just have a hard time with online brokers, but not with their prices- and it is hard to pick between diamonds that seem similar. I found a round 1.518ct "A Cut Above H&A", AGS certified: F, VS2, Table 56.3%, Depth 61.4%, Crown Angle 34.7*, Pavilion Angle 40.7* thin-medium faceted girdle that scored a 1.1 on the HCA... it is $21,672. Across the web at BlueNile I found a round 1.52 "Signature-Ideal H&A", GIA certified: F, VS2, Table 57%, Depth 61.4%, Crown Angle 35.5*, Pavilion Angle 40.6*, medium faceted girdle that scored a 1.3 on the HCA... it is $17,651. So, for those of you with experience with Whiteflash should I expect to see a $4,000 difference in the stone?? I hate that I can''t see these stones side by side and I definately don''t want to pay a premium price for a similar stone. It is still fresh in my mind that I am not pleased with my current stone from BlueNile, but the current stone is larger and grades lower on the color and clarity scales, will increasing the color & clarity grades increase my satisfaction? I guess it is a difficult question to answer unless you see the stones...
Thanks for your input...

beach

Brilliant_Rock
I was in the same position last week. I have diamond from whiteflash that prices to about 4000 more than bluenile as well and comes to around 30000. Blue nile just emailed me today to let me know that they have received my return. I am going with Whiteflash for several reasons:

1. Upgrade policy. Bluenile does not have it. If you want to trade up 10 years from now, you will get 100% back with whiteflash. Bluenile does not have the policy and you will likley, if you are lucky, get 60% on the aftermarket.

2. Sarin, ideal scope etc... with whiteflash. Gives me peace of mind knowing that I got the best. Bluenile would always keep me wondering. As for visual difference you will never know. However, I like the peace of mind and the numbers do not lie....Peace of mind is important so do what you think will do that...

ringhunter

Rough_Rock
I don''t know nearly as much as the normal posters here, but this is what I''ve gathered so far:

Blue Nile Pros:

Easier to navigate and more user friendly
More stones

Whiteflash Pros:

Everything else

On the issue of the ideal-scope though, if there''s a big price difference and that''s your deal breaker, you can order your own ideal-scope for $25. I just did and plan on taking it to my private jeweler when I grill him on the stones he''s picked out for me. You can do the same with Blue Nile. If you get it and the ideal-scope isn''t to your liking, send it back. It might check out and save you some coin though.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 8:18:36 PM
Author: beach
I was in the same position last week. I have diamond from whiteflash that prices to about 4000 more than bluenile as well and comes to around 30000. Blue nile just emailed me today to let me know that they have received my return. I am going with Whiteflash for several reasons:

1. Upgrade policy. Bluenile does not have it. If you want to trade up 10 years from now, you will get 100% back with whiteflash. Bluenile does not have the policy and you will likley, if you are lucky, get 60% on the aftermarket.

2. Sarin, ideal scope etc... with whiteflash. Gives me peace of mind knowing that I got the best. Bluenile would always keep me wondering. As for visual difference you will never know. However, I like the peace of mind and the numbers do not lie....Peace of mind is important so do what you think will do that...
i think its a reasonable assumption that if the Whiteflash stone is $4000 more than BN then its just a better CUT stone and priced accordingly.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
ACA stones are branded ideal cut stones. There will be a bit of a premium on these stones because of the stringent cutting standards and all the certs and paperwork that come along with it. You know what you are getting with Whiteflash.

Is it worth $4k? That's up to you!

I'm going to go through WF for my next diamond - more expensive, but the upgrade policy is worth the cost to me. If this will be a "forever" stone, then maybe you'll want to save the money. But only you can make that call.
2.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 8:44:03 PM
Author: bgray

Date: 11/17/2008 8:18:36 PM
Author: beach

i think its a reasonable assumption that if the Whiteflash stone is $4000 more than BN then its just a better CUT stone and priced accordingly.
Not necessarily. WF offers more customer service up front, and that comes at a price. With BN you just don''t know much about the cut until you get the stone and have it examined by an appraiser who has similar equipment. Which, of course, comes at a price.

NewRockHunter

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. I don''t plan on ever upgrading, and the meager 10-day return policy concerns me... but I will probably give WF a try based on strong consumer support. Thanks again!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I know for many people it seems unreasonable but if it were me and there was a $4k difference on a $20k stone, I would fly out to Houston, look at the stone at Whiteflash''s office (can''t do that at BN), and let my eyes make the decision. It would take one day of your time (if you are in the US) and put your mind at ease.

You also could have WF show you an F, G and H and possibly lower the price by stepping down in color or clarity.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would choose Whiteflash over Blue Nile every time.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before I can comment I need a link to both stones.
4k is a ton of money and you could have it sent to you lose for inspection and if necessary return it and come out ahead or send it to them to be mounted if it passes inspection.
But before I can recommend that I need the stones information beyond what you have given so far.

dec2410

Shiny_Rock
i don''t like whiteflash settings. i feel like blue nile has a much better selection when it comes to settings. i''m sure whiteflash could replicate anything in a custom setting but isn''t that much $$?

is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results