shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking feedback on an Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Hi all--

I am still on the quest to find the perfect Asscher (read, the perfect Asscher in our price range), and this is the current frontrunner. But, the burning question stands; is it kicken? I know the "Good" polish might be an issue, but is this enough to make it a questionable purchase? And, are there other flaws I am overlooking?

All feedback, as always, is appreciated. Thanks!

Here are the specs:

Shape: Asscher
Carat weight: 0.71
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 65.8%
Table: 57.0%
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.89*4.89*3.22
Ratio: 1.00

lsm.asscher1.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Good night that was one huge picture. Sorry. Here''s a more modest version. --Katamari

lsm.asscher2.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks kicken so far to me, you will have to ask the vendor to eyeball it and see if the good polish effects the face up appearance.
Can you get an IS or aset image while they are looking at it?
The crown height would also be good to know.
I'm fairly certain crown height is ok but its good to check.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw what happened with the EGL stone in your other thread?
How did the color and clarity come out?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Storm!

I have e-mailed to ask for extra images, so hopefully I can get an is and an aset.

The EGL stone did have the clarity it claimed, but the color was more of a "warm I" according to Bob at WF. It was a super good deal, though, still (only $635 for PSers). But, the SO wanted to keep shopping since it was still within our budget go get something with better color.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 4:47:54 PM
Author: katamari
Good night that was one huge picture. Sorry. Here''s a more modest version. --Katamari
lol! Pretty stone!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Oops, premature send:

Bob also said the cut was a little janky (he didn''t use this term, but it was the impression I got). None of the corners were clipped at the same angle, but he didn''t think it would be noticeable on a stone that size after it was set. (so, maybe not ''ideal).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the lower right one is the one that''s really off. I didn''t notice until you said something.

CaptainCarat

Rough_Rock
Hi there! To my untrained eye this one looks great!

I wanted to comment on the polish. I wouldn''t be too concerned with it until you see the stone. I just bought a 1.5 Asscher and was a little nervous since the polish was only ''good'' and I was looking at VG or better. It came in and I can''t tell at all, even using a 10x loupe. I''d say invest in a loupe (or have the jeweler send you one to borrow...that''s how I got mine) and take a close look but you''re probably safe on it!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone!

Storm: You have helped us so much! We really, really appreciate it!

Julie: I think you are right. But, as long as it doesn''t throw the setting off, I guess I shouldn''t care.

CptnC: Very good to hear! I was hoping it would work out, but I didn''t even think about getting my own loupe :)

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
What a nice Asscher picture!
Yes, the crown height is something to know.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Okay. I have the Idealscope, and it doesn''t seem to be good news. There looks to be a lot of leakage. Thoughts?

1131586.71g.vs1.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I also requested they select another after I saw this Idealscope. It looks much better:

1131507.72d.si1.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know much about asschers, but my eye linkes the appearance of this one. I doubt you''d notice the differences in those corners.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
The second diamond, though, is an SI1. I have been sworn to that it is completely eye clean. However, I worry because I have read on here that there isn''t such a thing as an eye clean SI1 Asscher.

Here is this diamond''s specs:

Carat weight: 0.72
Color: D
Clarity: SI1

Depth: 66.7%
Table: 58.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Measurements: 5.13*5.11*3.41

The previous one has 4.89*4.89*3.22 measurements. But, they are the same weight. Is it an issue when two stones of the same weight have (what appears to me to be) different measurements?

Thanks, as always, for your thoughts and opinions!
--Kat

1131507.asscher.lsm.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, kcoursolle!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 6:29:09 PM
Okay. I have the Idealscope, and it doesn''t seem to be good news. There looks to be a lot of leakage. Thoughts?
bad p3 angles, not a good one.
I wondered with the original pic but it wasn''t what I''m used to seeing with JA pics when the p3 angles are bad which is why I wanted the IS.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 6:33:52 PM
The second diamond, though, is an SI1. I have been sworn to that it is completely eye clean. However, I worry because I have read on here that there isn''t such a thing as an eye clean SI1 Asscher.

Here is this diamond''s specs:

Carat weight: 0.72

Color: D

Clarity: SI1

Depth: 66.7%

Table: 58.0%

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Girdle: Medium to slightly thick

Measurements: 5.13*5.11*3.41

The previous one has 4.89*4.89*3.22 measurements. But, they are the same weight. Is it an issue when two stones of the same weight have (what appears to me to be) different measurements?

Thanks, as always, for your thoughts and opinions!

--Kat

If its eyeclean the cut is kicken.
I am leary of si1 step cuts but you might get lucky, eyeball it unset and within the return window.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, Storm!

I really appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results