shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond experts, please share advice on this diamond before I buy! Great cut, inclusions on table and girdle

thesearchbegins

Rough_Rock
Hi friends and diamond experts!

I'm planning to put a hold on this diamond, but wanted to run it by the experts and community members here before a final decision.
I'm concerned that there are many feathers all around the girdle, but most so by the small cluster of dark crystals (+ a small cloud) on the diamond face table (that are all visible in the video). The crystals and feathers appear to be defining clarity characteristics. It's hard to tell without seeing the diamond in person, but it appears that the crystal inclusion might be possibly reaching the diamond table surface.
I was wondering if this is a diamond that you would consider eye clean (given the VS2 grade) or do you feel the dark inclusion on the bottom right (between 3-4pm clock position) are detrimental to the look/brilliance and durability of the diamond? Is that enough of a tarnish to rule this out as "eye-clean". Would you overlook the inclusions if the cut scores very well on HCA? From recollection, I believe this scored a 1.7 on the HCA score (supposed to be excellent in light return and fire) and a SA score of 9.1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Here is a link to a video of the diamond that I've uploaded to YouTube here

Here is a photo - inclusion on on the right. It looks like a black slash.

PS Diamond Review.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 2.19.03 AM.png

Last edited:

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi friends and diamond experts!

I'm planning to put a hold on this diamond, but wanted to run it by the experts and community members here before a final decision.
I'm concerned that there are many feathers all around the girdle, but most so by the small cluster of dark crystals (+ a small cloud) on the diamond face table (that are all visible in the video). The crystals and feathers appear to be defining clarity characteristics. It's hard to tell without seeing the diamond in person, but it appears that the crystal inclusion might be possibly reaching the diamond table surface.
I was wondering if this is a diamond that you would consider eye clean (given the VS2 grade) or do you feel the dark inclusion on the bottom right (between 3-4pm clock position) are detrimental to the look/brilliance and durability of the diamond? Is that enough of a tarnish to rule this out as "eye-clean". Would you overlook the inclusions if the cut scores very well on HCA? From recollection, I believe this scored a 1.7 on the HCA score (supposed to be excellent in light return and fire) and a SA score of 9.1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Here is a link to a video of the diamond that I've uploaded to YouTube here
Hello @thesearchbegins

The crystal is the grade setter. If the diamond needed recut or repair the feathers may need to be considered, but VS2 feathers are not an issue in normal wear.

Regarding eye-clean: It would be useful to know the approximate carat weight. Such an inclusion in a 5 carat VS2 will have different naked-eye implications than it will in a 1 carat VS2.

Also, while videos are useful, such high magnification is difficult to put in real-world context. Background, lighting, exposure and camera focal depth settings can combine to exaggerate some characteristics and de-emphasize others.

That said, keep in mind that the overall clarity grade is most meaningful: Grades VS2 and above are typically eye-clean, with rare exceptions. In fact, VS2 diamonds (and many diamonds in the SI range) are often more likely to be eye-clean if several inclusions are listed, rather than a single inclusion which set the overall grade by itself.

More about clarity, plots and scary inclusions here.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard stated what I was going to say...and he is an expert.

I was going to say that I would not worry about the feathers in a VS2 with a slightly thick girdle. The carat size/measurements
are blocked out so we have no clue to the size of the stone. Sizing info would be helpful to get an idea of whether the stone is
eye-clean or not (although we may not be able to say one way or the other).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My first thought is always talk to the seller.
Even a drop shipper can these days can usually get more information from the stones owner.
That said talking to some of the large sellers is useless.

"SA score of 9.1" Who is using that and what is it?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a rock solid return policy (30 days, no re-stocking fee, no store credit) order it and see it in person.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Those proportions for this GIA 3x are great - I don't think I'd be afraid of this diamond at all.
The highly magnified inclusion that you are concerned about will likely disappear completely when being viewed without magnification, and especially once it is set in jewelry.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
My first thought is always talk to the seller.
Even a drop shipper can these days can usually get more information from the stones owner.
That said talking to some of the large sellers is useless.

"SA score of 9.1" Who is using that and what is it?

Possibly this?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results