shape
carat
color
clarity

Seek advice: looking to sell a FLY in double halo ring

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all!
Hope everyone is well. I have not come here for a very long time, mostly because I wanted to avoid the temptation . Looks like the itch is back though... Looking through my small collection I realised that there's a ring that I rarely wear so am considering cashing it to fund a new project. Can I seek your advice?

* What would be a reasonable price to ask for? It is a 2ct FLY in double halo.
* who can I consign it to? What's the practice - do I leave the ring with the shop?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks! 20190420_211231.jpg
20190420_211253.jpg 20190420_204349.jpg

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
I’d suggest Love Affair Diamonds. Her consignment structure is very generous. She generally has pieces up to about $25k listed but I did see a diamond listed for about $50k a few weeks ago. Jewels by Grace is also very good and has a competitive consignment structure. She frequently lists CRAZY expensive diamonds. It kind of depends on the price you are looking to get for it.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks FlashyFlamingo!
Thing is I don't even know what would be a reasonable asking price. Need to do some research.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
I would watch this auction from Dover Jewelry to get a baseline. This has fairly similar specs to your ring and should give you a ballpark, probably more on the low end, but at least an idea. Also, if you need to get rid of it quickly, Dover is a good idea. I’ve actually visited them in Miami. They are super professional and have a very large following on eBay and generally get decent prices for diamonds.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/392279908408

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would send the ring to an appraiser like denverappraiser to determine a baseline value. If you decide to sell with LaD or JBEG, they both request an appraisal in addition to a GIA certificate.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, @GreenBling -- your profile indicates that you live in Hong Kong. If Hong Kong is still your home, it might make more sense for you to consign the ring with someone there in HK rather than deal with sending the ring overseas. No matter how you decide to proceed, think you'll appreciate the peace of mind conferred by getting an appraisal first. In addition to providing a useful basis for setting your expectations for a resale, an appraisal is essential to being able to collect any money via an insurance claim were the ring to get lost en route to the US.**

Maybe start a new thread seeking Hong Kong-specific recommendations for an independent appraiser and reputable consignment service?

** I have no idea whether, e.g., Love Affair Diamonds will accept an appraisal from Hong Kong. So that's something to ask whomever you contact in the US; also ask if they will provide an insured shipping label for you to use & what the additional cost would be for such an international shipment involving Customs clearance and the like.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Ya, would be ideal if could consign the piece in HK. However, I haven't been able to find a platform yet. And the local market is very small

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results