shape
carat
color
clarity

Second wave of COVID-19?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Are you worried about a second wave of COVID-19 with states beginning to open up and cases outstanding? I know there is more testing, hospital capacity, PPE, and people are taking precautions. And there is the economic, mental health, and other considerations to balance. But what will it be like in the short, mid, and long term? As the stock market has largely rebounded, do you think it's due for another correction?

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Yes-absolutely worried about second wave. Especially with so many protests with people not social distancing.
My friends in the medical field also feel there will be a second wave. Hopefully, we have learned something and can react more quickly and people will self-isolate and wear masks. There is more testing available as well.
But---I am glad I don't live in a state that is not following CDC protocol on re-opening, or has a governor that is hell-bent on re-opening the economy.

Q

Queenie60

I’m more concerned about the close contact with protesters. I’ve been on the road for one day and everything that’s opened is extremely cautious with regards to distancing and sanitizing

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not in the US, but I do believe a second and possibly more waves are in the future. We probably won't have a reliable vaccine, if any, before 2022. I'm shocked that so many people here in Canada are not even wearing masks in stores. I'd say it's less than 50%.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
If you read about the Spanish Flu pandemic there was a second and a third wave. The second wave was much worse by mutation of the virus and people not taking social distancing seriously after the first wave (other factors as well). The rioting could be a huge contributor to the severity of the second wave.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I have concerns. In the UK the recent spate of hot weather, people crowding to beaches etc, protests with thousands huddled together is worrying. Also our track and trace system seems to be falling in its face and our testing is unreliable giving lots of false negatives. Given that the evidence seems to point to lots of people being 'silent spreaders' I think the balance of probability is there will be further waves of infection.

As a family we are taking things cautiously but getting out the house more. The key for us is just staying away from where most other people are going. We're just getting on with things as best as we can!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

Of more concern to me is the Government's and media's attempts to create a 'new normal' that includes stigmatisation of those choosing not to wear masks (which the WHO suggests governments should mandate as compulsory, to avoid stigmatisation of those who choose to wear them voluntarily :rolleyes:), as well as 'health passports' that would create a two-tier society of 'haves' and 'have nots', and restrict the activities of those 'have nots' because they would be assumed 'guilty' (of having C19) rather than being presumed 'innocent', and denied entry to transport, services and locations, which is a complete reversal of rights and the mindset fought for over decades and centuries.

Last edited:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
There was not even a kiddie pool sized wave experienced after we saw all those people gathering Memorial Day weekend. That crowded pool party in the Ozarks did not result in even one case. There may be a second way but I am not worried. We may have overreacted to the first round...two weeks to flatten the curve was very successful most everywhere and here we are entering our third month of living under some level of shut down. At DH's manufacturing plant 800+ people went to work every day and no one got COVID. For most of that time there wasn't even a mask mandate and it's impossible to social distance completely.
If there is a second way we can't shut down completely again. Protect the vulnerable and everyone else keep moving along with appropriate precautions. Keep the curve flat, don't overwhelm the system.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IEven though protestors are not doing the 6foot rule they are willing to get the disease for something they so strongly believe in, while I admire that I don't want COVID totally I read people with Type A blood are 50% more likely to have much more serious lung problems, of course I am type A.. jeeze louise.. I am worried about COVID-19 rebound in the fall too. I'm not sure how well younger Americans can stay put, youth.. My son and DIL are not distancing anymore with her family (yes they are with us though).

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1 person did and so far they are saying no more cases. I don't think anyone who is healthy and under 60 has that much to worry about since their immune systems are better than oldsters, unless they have a contributing factor that would make them susceptible having a worse case. They will only shut down again if deaths increase, they are increasing in my home state but that's Texas for ya.

There was not even a kiddie pool sized wave experienced after we saw all those people gathering Memorial Day weekend. That crowded pool party in the Ozarks did not result in even one case. There may be a second way but I am not worried. We may have overreacted to the first round...two weeks to flatten the curve was very successful most everywhere and here we are entering our third month of living under some level of shut down. At DH's manufacturing plant 800+ people went to work every day and no one got COVID. For most of that time there wasn't even a mask mandate and it's impossible to social distance completely.
If there is a second way we can't shut down completely again. Protect the vulnerable and everyone else keep moving along with appropriate precautions. Keep the curve flat, don't overwhelm the system.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There was a case for that resulted from the Pool Party in the Ozarks. It was widely reported on the news. I have no idea if there were others.

You happen to live in an area that has few cases. Those of us who live in areas that were harder hit with the virus or have family members who could not survive the virus may feel differently and are more cautious. The state you live in has a mask mandate that went into effect on a May 1. If I’m remembering correctly, your local law enforcement told residents they were not going to enforce the state mask requirements. Your statement regarding mask mandates above is false.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be the same people who didn’t take Coronavirus seriously in the first place that will think the second wave is a myth. Scientists are warning of the second wave. So are my local doctors.

It will be this laissez faire attitude toward the virus during the summer that will cause the second wave.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not in the US, but I do believe a second and possibly more waves are in the future. We probably won't have a reliable vaccine, if any, before 2022. I'm shocked that so many people here in Canada are not even wearing masks in stores. I'd say it's less than 50%.

we don't see much news from Canada because like us here in NZ you have a rather large neighbours who hogs all the attention
how is the covid situation there ?
did you have a full lockdown?
where people good about it ?

im worried about a 2nd wave because no one can afford to go thriugh this again
i was very worried about those protests but the director general of health said that because we don't have community transmission and its everdently harder to catch it outside, we should be ok
but i worry for our American friends and of course every other country too

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It will be the same people who didn’t take Coronavirus seriously in the first place that will think the second wave is a myth. Scientists are warning of the second wave. So are my local doctors.

It will be this laissez faire attitude toward the virus during the summer that will cause the second wave.

not meaning to point the finger because its a minority but by far most of our cases were in the 19- 29 year age group ..... that seems to be the age here we saw not being sensible or responsible

extremely unfair that all our deaths were over 60 with most in the 80s and 90s

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the update on the Ozarks case. I had seen an article before that case was diagnosed.
Still, one case is of no concern.

ETA....actually that case came after Memorial Day at a boat party....it wasn't the pool party or Memorial Day weekend.
There was a case for that resulted from the Pool Party in the Ozarks. It was widely reported on the news. I have no idea if there were others.

You happen to live in an area that has few cases. Those of us who live in areas that were harder hit with the virus or have family members who could not survive the virus may feel differently and are more cautious. The state you live in has a mask mandate that went into effect on a May 1. If I’m remembering correctly, your local law enforcement told residents they were not going to enforce the state mask requirements. Your statement regarding mask mandates above is false.

This was an opinion question and I gave my opinion. You don't have to like it...you can give your own opinion without being argumentative. What I stated is not false but thanks for trying. The mask mandate was declared May 1st while the overall shut down started mid-March. For 6 weeks people didn't have to wear a mask at all. Our local police stated they were not going to stop people walking down the street, out in the open air, for not wearing a mask....because that's moronic and we all know it. Besides, we don't have enough police to enforce it. Stores put up signs and most people followed it early on. Compliance is dwindling as we haven;t had a new case in weeks. It was kind of stupid when he finally did make the mandate because most everywhere that had cases were past the peak.

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I am concerned, but not worried. I am most concerned for those who are the most vulnerable, and I think those people should continue to take extra precautions.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2nd wave or not life goes on for me.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the update on the Ozarks case. I had seen an article before that case was diagnosed.
Still, one case is of no concern.

ETA....actually that case came after Memorial Day at a boat party....it wasn't the pool party Memorial Day weekend.

This was an opinion question and I gave my opinion. You don't have to like it...you can give your own opinion without being argumentative. What I stated is not false but thanks for trying. The mask mandate was declared May 1st while the overall shut down started mid-March. For 6 weeks people didn't have to wear a mask at all. Our local police stated they were not going to stop people walking down the street, out in the open air, for not wearing a mask....because that's moronic and we all know it. Besides, we don't have enough police to enforce it. Stores put up signs and most people followed it early on. Compliance is dwindling as we haven;t had a new case in weeks. It was kind of stupid when he finally did make the mandate because most everywhere that had cases were past the peak.

@1ofakind , I was not trying to be argumentative. I check our states website daily for numbers for my surrounding towns. They have increased in the past few weeks quite a bit in my area. This could be a result of people finally being able to be tested. I’m not sure.

I’m still very concerned about this virus. You may feel it’s moronic to wear a mask. We all don’t believe it’s moronic as you stated above in your post. I’m just stating facts.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@1ofakind , I was not trying to be argumentative. I check our states website daily for numbers for my surrounding towns. They have increased in the past few weeks quite a bit in my area. This could be a result of people finally being able to be tested. I’m not sure.

I’m still very concerned about this virus. You may feel it’s moronic to wear a mask. We all don’t believe it’s moronic as you stated above in your post. I’m just stating facts.

I will try again in case I'm not being clear but I feel a fair reading shows otherwise. I did not say wearing a mask in public is moronic. I did not even suggest it. In fact I said most people here have been compliant...only letting up recently. I said that stopping people walking out in open air for not wearing a mask is moronic. I am sure there is someone who will disagree though....

I apologize if I was short....I guess I'm not my best self at the moment.

I would only be concerned if a rise in infection numbers is also leading to a rise in hospitalizations. The more testing they do the more + cases are expected but that shouldn't be automatically concerning. Maybe that will help if you are feeling anxious about it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is part of the reason I'm not even sure if it's worth the effort to send our two sons back to school in the fall. So they can just be pulled out in 2-3 months if a second wave hits?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its winter here as it must be in South America and a sizable chunk of Africa

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is part of the reason I'm not even sure if it's worth the effort to send our two sons back to school in the fall. So they can just be pulled out in 2-3 months if a second wave hits?

To play devil’s advocate for a moment. What if there is no second wave? We just don’t know anything for sure and can only act on what we do know and when /if things change.

I think those who are vulnerable need to continue practicing social distancing etc and we all need to be smart about our behavior. Just right this moment we can look to other countries who are ahead of us to see what’s happening there. However the USA is unique and even if other countries don’t experience a second wave we still could. We just don’t know yet.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I totally get it, hopefully there isn't a second wave.

However the schools will be opening up with all kinds of protocols, possibly half days or staggered days for students as well as masks. I'm not sure it's worth it to send the kids back even without another wave if they are only in school two full days a week, or if my six year old has to wear a mask all day. We are talking about schools that are not air conditioned with possibly stifling heat and five and six year olds with masks on, asthmatic kids wearing them, kids with other special needs etc.

I'm not against masks at all, we wear them whenever we go out but between the masks and possible major schedule changes AND the possibility (even if remote) of getting them to adjust to all of that and then having to pull them out.

I'm leaning towards it not even being worth trying in the fall considering all of that.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm sticking with an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure at this juncture.
Keeping my mask on when needed for a little while longer.
Cases in neighboring NH have doubled in the past couple of weeks and I'm only a hop-n-skip from MA. New England is small and squished together.
They're all coming to vacationland (Maine) now.
It's summah.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results