shape
carat
color
clarity

Second round of CADs are here

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
... and Dan and Caren have worked miracles with the proportioning, making it possible to snuggle the bezels into the split shank plus make the design an 8-prong imitating double-pronging, as I asked for. The bezels and the small cuffs will be delicate milgrain.

I am very happy with all the proportions: I think it will look elegant, interesting, but still not too fussy. It's hard to look beyond the bulkiness of CADs but I'm trying my best ;-) My only observation is that there seems to be a bit of a kink in the strand coming up under the centre stone on the left: I'd like that to move in a straight line. Other than that: perfect! Yey! :mrgreen:

CAD 06.07.11 bezel.jpg

CAD 06.07.11 side.jpg

CAD 06.07.11 top view.jpg

CAD 06.07.11 profile.jpg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Couple more:

Is there anything anyone could suggest to make it flow better? Is the cuff a sensible size etc? I'm probably going to pull the trigger on it tomorrow morning, so I have 24 hours to cogitate...

Thanks! :twirl: <<< (I really like this smiley)

CAD 06.07.11 other diagonal.jpg

CAD 06.07.11 other side.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto about the kink; it is present in the simulated finished piece (on the left) and the CAD (on the right). I presume because the bezels are now inset, you can't set the center stone any lower? The entire top seems a bit top heavy and I was wondering if this is the lowest possible position. A top heavy ring is not only more susceptible to damage but also prone to spinning.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks brightice!

Chrono: *nods* re centre stone height. I was considering asking about getting it lowered a little, but, looking at the CADs, I'm not sure that there would be room for a gap between the centre and the side bezels if it was lower. Also, it might knock the trellising out of joint, considering that there's 8 prongs swirling around, and I like how uncrowded it looks in that area at the moment considering how much is going on. I think I will bring it up even so, as it would be great to look after the stone and not make the ring spin.

Do you think the kink is there for a structural reason, or just a CAD blip that will vanish once the metalwork starts?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt the kink is there for any purpose. A CAD is a drawing with details that is fed into the machine that creates the wax. If you see it in the CAD, you will see it in the wax. Therefore, better to bring it up now and have it smoothened out in the CAD. CAD drawings are indeed drawings - a good designer can make it smooth or wonky; any errors or changes are made by the user, not the machine/software.

T

talamasca

Obviously, def mention the wonky vine, but other than that I think it looks really nice and I like it better now the bezels are lower and a bit away from the central stone.

Can't wait to see it done :D

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, I see: I'll for sure mention the kink then. Thanks Chrono.

Tala: Thank you! I love that you called it a "vine" - it makes me feel like the design is looking more organic already. It's been so long now, I'm pretty much champing at the bit to actually see and hold and wear the finished product! :twirl: I'm sure you know how I feel...! :)

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Other than the kink in the outer "vine", it's beautiful!!
I absolutely love bezels set into splits- the lines and proportions all work so nicely here!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks p' bijou :) I knew I was trying for a more risky take on a solitaire+ setting, and I'm really pleased and relieved (!) that I love how the disparate elements all chime together. In particular was a bit concerned that cuffs might be one element too much, but I feel they really tie in with the rest of the design, and are in the right place on the finger. Phew!

I think I'll ask for a weeny lowering (if possible), plus the straightening of the kink, and then leave well alone. It's getting very exciting now...!

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Nothing of importance to add that hasn't been said, but WOW this is a great second round! :D

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Rox :) It's great to know that it looks successful, coz I'm feeling the pressure at the moment (I should add only from myself). The Best Ring Ever is a tough call ;-)

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking of asking to have a tiny bit more space between the faux-double-prongs, like this:

because I think the sweep of the vines under the centre stone will be able to come up in a cleaner diagonal if this happens, and also the crossing diagonals might look slightly more defined at the top, whilst still definitely looking double-pronged from the top view. Too fussy? Any opinions on that?

CAD 06.07.11 top view double prong spacing.jpg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Morning! *yawn*

I'm gonna write in a couple of hours, so it would be brilliant to have any more suggestions or opinions before then...?

But first: coffee! :twirl:

T

talamasca

Morning, I'm not sure about widening the prongs.

I have no experience of CAD's or designing jewellery so it's a bit hard to picture, but wouldn't it make the split's too wide and then the bezels would need moving down..... or is it just the prong bit at the top which will be wider and nothing else affected in which case I still don't know????!!!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
:D coffee had now, and food shopping done! (it's important that you know ;-) )

I know what you mean re the knock-on effects of the prongs widening. I have written to D and C mentioning it along with the possible lowering, but I did make it clear that I love the proportions and look of the ring as it stands, and if these tweaks cannot be accommodated without majorly changing the look, then I'm happy to stay with it how it is. The kink of course can be fixed without affecting anything, and that's the major issue; everything else is just window-dressing.

'citing! [/Russell Brand] :twirl:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
No suggestions except:
I think the ring is going to be gorgeous, and I can't wait to see it finished :love: :cheeky: :love:

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Shiney. Nearly there now...! :mrgreen: :twirl: :mrgreen:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm liking the way it looks too...I think with your mini changes it will look great!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks tyty. I really appreciate all the positive vibes in this thread :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really terrible with refining CAD's, but I just wanted to say that I'm really looking forward to the finished ring!! :appl:

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you TL :) I've worked out that it will still be the thick side of one month before it gets to the UK, even if everything goes smoothly from now on in: I feel like I'm curating a myth, or something! Will be so odd to actually be able to touch it! :twirl:

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Third round, but only weeny tweaks, so not really worth making a new thread. Dan said that he's double-checked for kinks under the gallery, and that sometimes the CAD software takes a bit of liberty when doing the "imitation finish" with shadows etc. That's why these new tweaked CADs are rough-looking CAD images, to see the actual lines of the piece. He believes that this will be very smooth in the wax. He's also going to set the stone as low as possible without compromising the flow of the design, and has moved the inner four prongs slightly over.

I really love how the prongs look now - just what I wanted! - and the overall view of the ring hasn't changed. It's perfect! I still think I'm seeing the tiniest of teeny tiny kinks just underneath the culet of the centre stone: am I going mad? And would that kind of teeny tiny thing even survive the post-casting handiwork...? I'm getting punchdrunk looking over CADs with an eagle eye, and maybe seeing potential problems that aren't there :-o

I don't wanna be on this stage for ever, and I love how the ring flows. I want to own it! I'm dying to say YES PLEASE now to be honest. Should I go for it? :twirl:

CAD 11.07.11 diagonal top.jpg

CAD 11.07.11 side.jpg

CAD 11.07.11 top view.jpg

T

talamasca

Looks great after the tweaks, but as you say it still has a kink!

Hope someone with CAD to real life knowledge comes along with their opinion :D

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I've been looking over the kink with a fine-toothed comb, and I can see that the outline of the CAD vine is straight, and the 3D "tube" bit is kinked:

If the wax is produced using the lines rather than the 3D, then I'm totally happy.

CAD 11.07.11 close-up on teeny kinkette.jpg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Update: I let Dan know my concerns about the kink, but ultimately I've said yes to the CAD shape.

On to the next stage...! :twirl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto; I'm also seeing the kinks in the CAD exactly where you see them too. I work with CAD fairly regularly although not in any jewellery application, so if I see a kink, it's there and will be worse when I zoom into it. If my line(s) is slightly off or wiggly, I zoom in and fix it. However, that is for mechanical and electrical CAD drawings. I do not claim to understand if this applies in the same manner as jewellery CADs.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono: in your line of work, is it the lines on the CADs that build the items, or the 3D bit? I hope I can get this nailed, coz it just has to be perfect.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lines create the 3D image. I draw the outline and have the CAD software automatically "fill in" the 3D blanks.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent! - that's what I wanted to hear. The lines are straight and good. Thank you :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results