shape
carat
color
clarity

Second Piercing Recommendations?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I've been thinking for awhile about getting a second hole in my ears. I got my first ones done a long time ago, probably somewhere like Claire's or Piercing Pagoda when I was in high school after my first attempt at pierced ears got infected and I waited a couple of years to get it redone. For those of you who got a second piercing done at a...shall we say... later time in life, would you go back to a place like that or are there better recommendations for other types of places I ought to go look to have it done?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
My mom wanted her ears pierced for years, but was too squeamish and paranoid. She finally mustered up the courage in her 40s and went to her doctor's office. It cost a small fortune. I got my third hole done at a regular jewelry store. The fourth hole was when I turned 30 and I went to Claire's. I didn't like how low the hole was right away, so I let it grow shut and went to Piercing Pagoda. I think what really matters is how long has the person been doing it and how much attention are they paying to you? If you keep them clean, they really shouldn't get infected.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get it done by a professional piercer. Not those Claire's "pros", but those piercers that do body art. Get it done with a thin hollow needle, NOT a gun. Guns create a hard ball of scar tissue, while thin hollow needles do not (or have a less of a chance of causing :confused:) All my piercings done by needle have had amazing healing. All my gun piercings have resulting in ugly scars.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some good reads:

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/psafety/a/piercing_guns.htm

http://www.homiegfunk.com/gun.htm

My friend from another forum is a veteran tattoo artist and piercer, and has trained professionally and done private part piercings for many decades. She told me about the needle vs. gun thing. My belly button, nose, and the piercings on my ear that were done by hollow needle healed flat.. basically a hole in skin. My piercings done by gun all have a thicker, harder scar tissue. I also find gun piercings much more painful, as my whole pierced area feels severely bruised for weeks after. I did not have this problem with my needle piercings.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Madelise- get it done with a needle by a professional. It hurts less, will heal better, is more santiary and the people who do it are professionals, not trained by a how to video. Plus, I liked wearing a hoop immediately, not a stud with a huge thick post; it was more comfortble for the healing for me and you can do that with a needle, but not a gun.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely go to a professional piercer. No question. In fact my daughter had hers done when she turned 8 and I marched her straight to a professional. No guns here, no way.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I had a couple of crooked, gun done piercings that I had allowed to close and then had redone with a needle. The scar tissue when one or two of the holes were repunched was nasty. The needle holes healed better too, and I could wear my own diamond studs right away.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
When I got my first piercing, I went to Merle Norman. Never had a problem with the holes. That was 1979.

When I got my second set, I was in my forties and it was 2002. Unless I wanted to go to a tattoo/piercing parlor, I had the choice of Claire's or . . . Claire's. I didn't have any problems then, either.

I never sleep in, or shower in, my earrings. So, the effort to choose earrings for two holes in each ear each morning became too much hassle for me. I got over the novelty of it, and went back to one earring per ear.

I thought they had closed over, but they are still there. I only occasionally wear something in the second holes, usually a tiny diamond stud when I wear diamond earrings. Daily, though, I go with one set.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Gosh! Thanks for all the replies!

I didn't know about the needle versus gun thing so I will research around town and see what is available.

My first hole was done with a gun, of course, and it did/does have some scar tissue. Mostly, I just want it done right the first time for the second hole, since they are going to have to place them relative to the first hole and yeah, I'm kind of not feeling the love on getting it done by someone who probably learned in a video.

I do have tiny earrings I sleep in or wear when I'm going to the gym or grocery store. But I also like to wear more elaborate earrings and I like my studs too but with only one hole I keep having to make a choice between elaborate or plain....so two holes is the way I am leaning so I can still wear studs or small hoops in the second hole.

Thanks for the info!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1349019615|3276845 said:

I didn't know about the needle versus gun thing so I will research around town and see what is available.

My first hole was done with a gun, of course, and it did/does have some scar tissue. Mostly, I just want it done right the first time for the second hole, since they are going to have to place them relative to the first hole and yeah, I'm kind of not feeling the love on getting it done by someone who probably learned in a video.

I do have tiny earrings I sleep in or wear when I'm going to the gym or grocery store. But I also like to wear more elaborate earrings and I like my studs too but with only one hole I keep having to make a choice between elaborate or plain....so two holes is the way I am leaning so I can still wear studs or small hoops in the second hole.

Thanks for the info!

Now that you mention it, I think that's how wound up finding out about needle piercings. I think my piercer said she couldn't place the gun close enough to my other earring, to where I would like it to be. :confused: That sounds oddly familiar.

Untitled_5.jpg

I wear tiny tiny screw back diamond studs in my second piercing, and I never take them off. I scrub them clean in the shower, with a baby toothbrush, after I am done washing and conditioning my hair. Every few weeks, I take them out for a good soak and scrub.

Tiny diamond studs above diamond or pearl studs, or hoops.. :lickout: whole reason I got em!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1349020633|3276857 said:
bastetcat|1349019615|3276845 said:

Thanks for the info!

Now that you mention it, I think that's how wound up finding out about needle piercings. I think my piercer said she couldn't place the gun close enough to my other earring, to where I would like it to be. :confused: That sounds oddly familiar.

Untitled_5.jpg

I wear tiny tiny screw back diamond studs in my second piercing, and I never take them off. I scrub them clean in the shower, with a baby toothbrush, after I am done washing and conditioning my hair. Every few weeks, I take them out for a good soak and scrub.

Tiny diamond studs above diamond or pearl studs, or hoops.. :lickout: whole reason I got em!

YUM!

Yeah- that's kind of how I am leaning. I have some antique gold and pearl screwbacks that I've worn 3 times total and they have fallen off twice, luckily once in the house and once where someone was able to find them...they are held in lovely claw baskets and I want to have them made in to leverbacks so I can wear them and some studs also because they look great with something next to them!

That little project is on hold for a bit, until the pocketbook recovers from my "early Christmas present".... :halo:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, I had all my lobe piercings done in middle school & HS and at mall locations and never had any problems. In my 30s, I decided to have my upper ear pierced and with all I had read, opted for a piercing salon and the guy did a great job. The experience is different and at salons, you are to give tips, but it is a sterile environment and they know what the're doing....however, The piercing only lasted 9ish months. Luckily it didn't leave a scar.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madelise -what is the carat weight on your second hole studs?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results