shape
carat
color
clarity

Second Chance Gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
I was a lurker on here for a while before I made my first gem purchase. When I came across Ryon's aqua cushion post I said that's the kind of stone that I want to get. and posted to let everyone know that there was an amazing aqua available from finewater. So I emailed Gary and purchased the chunky cushion aquamarine.

I love this stone and it reflects so much light it's surprising. It's 7x7 mm and if I remember correctly ~1.5ct. It has a small table and 8 very evenly distributed main pavilions. It's very hard to capture in a picture but here's my best attempts

giraffecushion_IMG_1603.jpg

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
this pic really shows how bright it is - it''s an absolute fireball but hard to capture in a picture

giraffecushion_IMG_1605.jpg

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
here''s the best pic to show the faceting. Gary''s work is outstanding and I''d highly recommend him

giraffecushion_IMG_1609.jpg

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
last pic of the aquamarine

giraffecushion_IMG_1610.jpg

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
The other gemstones to get a second chance are from Barry at ACS. Usually first thing around 6pm I go to his website and refresh his new gemstone page hoping for something pretty to drop. One day a little while back I saw an amethyst pair and I thought oh I had to have those... but alas they were sold by the time I saw them. A couple days later Cellentani posted with pics of her beautiful supernova oval and these amethysts - lucky! Fortunately for me these weren't what she was looking for so I emailed Barry and just received them yesterday.

I love the shade of purple and although I do suppose they do have some gray undertones I am very very happy with them. Barry's stones are very vintage with high crowns, larger facets, and thick girdles - all attributes that I adore.

Here are the pics I took this morning. The first pic shows that they do reflect a lot of light, although not as much as the aqua or pink tourmaline oval, but they're fine amethysts!

giraffecushion_IMG_1611.jpg

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
Picture in shade capturing the color. They're not a rich dark purple but they're exactly the shade I was looking for

giraffecushion_IMG_1612.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are two awesome stones, Congrats on getting the second chance purchase! I also loved them, but couldn''t get them either when they went back. So glad you got them, they are very beautiful, I love both Gary and Barry''s Cutting style. love them!

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
D&T - thank you for the compliments :)

I forgot to mention that hopefully for the amethysts they will be set in studs. I was a little concerned they''re be too large for studs and Barry recommended dangles but after seeing them in person I think these would be perfect in Sally from Heart of Water Lotus Settings Simlar to these OECs. . Do you think they''d look better in white gold or rose gold?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you know the color metal choice is interesting for purple stones. The Amethyst i have looks phenomal in yellow gold, then I have a two purple spinel (one color change to blue) and I put the color change spinel in white gold and it looks phenomenal, but when I put it next to a yellow gold mounting it didn't look that great -kinda weird. I think yellow gold or even rose gold will keep it very warm looking just my humble opinion though
1.gif

ETA: even though my spinel may look great in white gold, I'm still a yellow gold person, so I'll probably end up in yellow anyways, since I wear more yellow gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a minute, I thought "Second Chance Gems" was a new vendor name. LOL!!

I like amethyst in rose gold. As for aqua, I prefer them in halos with white gold.

Enjoy your new stones!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 2:11:31 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
For a minute, I thought ''Second Chance Gems'' was a new vendor name. LOL!!

I like amethyst in rose gold. As for aqua, I prefer them in halos with white gold.

Enjoy your new stones!!
Ditto that except the halo part.
9.gif

D&T,
Metal choices for purple and blue spinels should be on a case by case basis due to any undertones they have. Amethysts are almost always a pure purple so yellow gold works 100% of the time.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
giraffecushion, I''m so glad you were able to get these stones, especially the amethysts - I was hoping you''d see that I''d returned them! It''s great you''ll be able to give them a good home (and I know I sound like I''m talking about puppies instead of gems)!!

You are definitely on a roll - these, the aqua, and that gorgeous tourmaline!!
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! Lovely lovely stones. I think if you know what you''re looking for you can find it with a little help from PS.

I''m all for setting Amyth. in YG or Rose. Even though I once bought a pair in white. I just think purple needs the stronger colored gold.

D&T-- Interesting note about purple/blue spinel being better in WG. I''m thinking that it''s the blue in it that does that.

And so for the Aqua I''d say blue.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results