shape
carat
color
clarity

Screwbacks for 24/7 studs?

princesslurker

Rough_Rock
Greetings all!
I read all the threads about earring backs and the general consensus is friction/tension/butterfly backs are safer. I seek more of everybody's wisdom and knowledge please =)

My lovely man would like to get me 0.8ctw ACA princesses from WF for my birthday after I fell in love with the shape from lurking here. I intend to NEVER take them off. (I currently have on 1ctw rounds with tension backs and I normally give them a little scrub with them still on in the shower. Okay I admit being totally lazy.) I did get paranoid when the backs would very occasionally pop off and fly across the room. My number one concern is keeping my studs on my ears through sleep shower and vigorous se-- I mean exercise for the next ten years at least.

I am less worried about the comfort and hygiene issues.

I''ve never owned screwbacks before and would like to try them out, but not if they're actually just a gimmick. My question is: If I don't fiddle with them at all - a monthly ultrasonic clean at most - is it likely they are going to unscrew on me? I've read horror stories about the threads wearing away and that they are high maintenance. Will I need to replace the 14k wg backs every 2 years? Are screwbacks really just a false sense of security?

(and a piggyback question about princess cuts - how fragile are those corners for studs? I hope they are a lot less prone to chipping on earlobes vs on fingers... right? *overthinking* )

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your thoughts!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I would think screw backs would be better for 24/7 wear. I have borrowed by MIL's studs before and they have screw backs. They always felt very secure to me. I never had to worry about them falling out etc. I actually just ordered studs this week and due to the carat weight I went with screw backs as well. I tend to fiddle with my earrings though so unless they are screwed in well I know I would be popping those suckers off in a heart beat.

Can you try purchasing a cheap pair from amazong and wearing them around for a few days?

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth, my studs are screwbacks (1.25tcw) and they are totally secure. Whenever I get diamond studs made as gifts for family and friends, I always get screwbacks.

I have heard, first hand, too many horror stories of lost diamond studs because the butterfly wasn't on properly.

For my coloured gemstone studs, however, I have them made with butterfly clips because I do not wear them 24/7. Only the studs get that kind of wear - shower, swimming, exercise, sleeping - totally secure.

Hope that helps.

:wavey:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
SB621|1397552721|3653630 said:
I actually just ordered studs this week and due to the carat weight I went with screw backs as well.

:naughty:

I can't wait to see these!!

I talked to my jeweller about this issue recently. He said he is reluctant to do screwbacks because they can tear the inside of your piercing if removed too frequently. But if you never plan on taking them out then it should be fine I would have thought.

Probably need an occasional clean though ;-)

shiny29

Rough_Rock
I suggest you consider la pousette backs. They are small spring loaded disc shaped backs. They do require special posts that have a notch to prevent them from sliding off the end. After having them I would never go back to screw backs.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
shiny29|1397558780|3653646 said:
I suggest you consider la pousette backs. They are small spring loaded disc shaped backs. They do require special posts that have a notch to prevent them from sliding off the end. After having them I would never go back to screw backs.

+1

A few years ago I gave diamond stud earring to my daughter who proceeded to lose one in short order. The next time around I had
the backs done with the La Pousette backs, these never come loose. I had Leslie at BGD do the job for me. The LaPousette's cost extra, but definite peace of mind.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer la pousette backs too. They seem ultra secure to me. But I know they're not always commonly available. I also have a few pairs of screw backs - a few over 30 years old that function beautifully. The only pair I've ever had an issue with are some platinum T&Co screw backs in which the thread has become a bit distorted. I've never had any problems with my older 14k white gold screw backs.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i have 1.01tcw princesses with screw backs...

I wear them 24/7.
Yes, it does take a bit of time to get them off to clean them. then it takes a bit of time to put them back on.
sometimes it does loosen and you just tighten them back up. the opposite is true as well- ie they can tighten up. if so, loosen them.

The corners of the princesses are covered in my basket setting, so the corners are protected and wont be proned to chipping. i thought i had a photos of them, but i cant locate it. sorry.

ming

Shiny_Rock
FWIW I had screwbacks on Tiffany's studs and promptly lost one earring. Got it replaced but had just an earring dangling, no back, several times. Took them back and had them change out the setting and haven't had a problem since.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I tried a pair with screwbacks and they hurt really bad when I put them in and took them out. That was as far as I got with that style. I'm not into pain and suffering.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
I've had both screw backs and la pousette backs and can only recommend the la pousettes. My first studs were .50ctw princess cuts with la pousettes and I loved them, then I got an upgrade to .80ctw rounds and for some reason went with screw backs (I'm guessing I didn't want to fork out the dough). The screw backs came unscrewed all the time so eventually I paid to have la pousettes put on and now they are as secure as can be!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had bad luck with la pousettes. In general I try to avoid anything with mechanical minutiae for daily wear: those tiny springs will eventually fail - they may loosen, they may rust, they may break...

I find screwbacks uncomfortable, and I've had my long hair tangle in the screws and loosen them. My biggest objection is the cleaning though - they take *so* long to take off and put back on, but daily cleaning is pretty much non-negotiable w/ the threading :knockout: The threads will level with use, so you'll have to get the posts replaced at some point, but unlike la pousettes you'll be able to see the wear and tear - no surprise accidents.

My "daily" studs have heavy friction backs - they're heftier and sturdier than the delicate butterfly backs most stock pieces come with, and I can tighten them myself at home. I also requested that the posts be double-notched.

Sayde64

Rough_Rock
There is a new back called Chrysmela. Launched in Japan. Amazon is selling them. There are just a few reviews. They look intriguing. They are little cylinders instead of disks like La Poussette. They can be used on an post whereas La Pousette must be used with specific La Pousette post. Hope someone here tries them soon and posts about them. (The Amazon reviews were all positive).

princesslurker

Rough_Rock
Thank you Shiny, Willy and everyone else who recommended la pousettes!

Those were what I was going to get until my local jeweler who does my insurance appraisals dissuaded me. He said these backs need to be regularly used to maintain the spring integrity so my keeping them on all the time might risk rusting them like Yssie mentioned.

I was also worried about hair helping to unscrew them, but I hope I have trained myself with my pushback rounds to brush away from my ears.

My piercings can handle the thicker posts and I hope the threads won't bother them too much if I'm taking them off infrequently. (But frequently enough to keep them from getting too gross I promise! :tongue: )

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Everyone has their own opinion I hated my screw backs. I have 2.41 stud and they never come out. I get paranoid even though my tension backs are pretty firm soI bought big tension backs and I added little plastic beads that came from a cheap pair of dangle earrings. These tiny beads give me that extra security and these earrings are coming out unless I want them out.

_16991.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HAHA I do the same thing as you-- scrub them in the shower! Lazy blingthusiasts unite!!!

OKAY, after years of wearing my screw back studs, I think I have some advice-- DO NOT get screw backs. I get it, forever pair, never take it off, blah blah. You know what, though? Cleaning it in the shower does NOT clean off all the gunk. Skin and piercings create that nasty ass cheesy stuff that smells rancid. It gets trapped in the threading, and you *need* to clean that off properly. *gags*.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
heididdl|1397609771|3654113 said:
Everyone has their own opinion I hated my screw backs. I have 2.41 stud and they never come out. I get paranoid even though my tension backs are pretty firm soI bought big tension backs and I added little plastic beads that came from a cheap pair of dangle earrings. These tiny beads give me that extra security and these earrings are coming out unless I want them out.

I have a pair of .40ctw bezel studs in my second hole. I only take out to clean and use those same little plastic thingys behind the butterfly back. They also help with the post not stabbing me in the night. I ordered a bag off of Amazon, 100 for .49. They were shipped free but took 6 weeks.....they came from China. :confused:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results