shape
carat
color
clarity

Scratches on engagement ring prongs normal?

Lex183

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I just got my engagement ring last week! I noticed that there are scratches on the sides of the prongs that are holding my sapphire down. I think that maybe the scratches were caused by the tool used to pull the prongs open to fit the sapphire and then to close them around the sapphire. Is this normal?? I know my jeweler was rushing because he was experiencing delays and I had a set deadline (my wedding day!) for him, so maybe these are mistakes caused by his haste... Let me know what you all think! I may need to bring it back if scratches are not normal!

I don't have a good enough camera to take a picture of the scratches, but I have drawn the locations of the scratches in red on the attached google picture.

halo ring.jpg

K98

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I just got my engagement ring last week! I noticed that there are scratches on the sides of the prongs that are holding my sapphire down. I think that maybe the scratches were caused by the tool used to pull the prongs open to fit the sapphire and then to close them around the sapphire. Is this normal?? I know my jeweler was rushing because he was experiencing delays and I had a set deadline (my wedding day!) for him, so maybe these are mistakes caused by his haste... Let me know what you all think! I may need to bring it back if scratches are not normal!

I don't have a good enough camera to take a picture of the scratches, but I have drawn the locations of the scratches in red on the attached google picture.

halo ring.jpg

I had the same thing on my original engagement ring after they set my stone. I lived with it for years, thinking it was normal. It’s not—it’s just a lack of attention to detail. They should have polished them out for you after they were done! The first time I had my ring polished and re-plated in rhodium (years later), they fixed it for me without me even asking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results