shape
carat
color
clarity

Scott Kay & 1ct. Passion Cut...please chime in

Stol3n

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

This is my very first post here and I just wanted to start by saying this is truly an amazing site with a vast amount of knowledge...far beyond my scope on the subject but tons of useful information nonetheless.

My fiancé and I just got back from selecting and purchasing her engagement ring and I'm still a bit clueless as to what I purchased and if I walked out okay or if they totally pulled one over on me. As a first time buyer I went into this with very limited knowledge of diamonds so this was a very intimidating and humbling experience. With that being said, how did I do?

Scott Kay Luminaire Collection 14k white gold diamond engagement ring with halo, totaling .74 carats.

0_0.jpg

+

1ct. Passion Cut Round Diamond Color: H, Cut: Good-Very Good, Clarity: SI2

I walked out at $5,300 (tax included).

It was the one she picked and absolutely loves it and that's all that matters in the end but I'm just wondering how far off was this purchase?

I'm eager to hear your responses.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
It probably isn't a diamond that we would have recommended for you but like you said your finance is very happy and that's all that matters. As far as getting a good deal....its impossible to say based on the little info you provided. Who graded the diamond? Can you link the report? Do you have a return period if she decides after a few days that this may not be the one afterall? And since you're asking the question after the fact do you really want to know? Are you happy with the purchase? Do you love the diamond? That's more important than anything we can say about it.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I had to look up what a passion diamond was because I've never heard of it. On the website it states "Every Passion Cut Diamond , 0.75 ct. and larger, comes with a detailed gemological report certified by the leading international gemological laboratories." However, we would need to know from you which lab graded it.

I am pretty sure that you paid a premium for this cut. However, $5300 does not seem totally off base, to me.

Christina is right...if you are happy, it doesn't really matter!

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
I would just like to say that I think the setting is absolutely gorgeous! Scott Kay makes a quality product.

Stol3n

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1340549070|3222805 said:
It probably isn't a diamond that we would have recommended for you but like you said your finance is very happy and that's all that matters. As far as getting a good deal....its impossible to say based on the little info you provided. Who graded the diamond? Can you link the report? Do you have a return period if she decides after a few days that this may not be the one afterall? And since you're asking the question after the fact do you really want to know? Are you happy with the purchase? Do you love the diamond? That's more important than anything we can say about it.

For an SI2 graded diamond it was absolutely beautiful both inside and outside the store. We even compared it to other SI2 diamonds and even a few SI1 diamonds and it was above and beyond the others. I do not have the report on hand because Scott Kay is custom building a ring to fit her finger (I did not want to buy a bigger ring and have it size down).

Yes, I want your honest opinion on the purchase..that's why I started the thread. It's a done deal on our part and really won't make me feel bad either way. I was just curious as to how fair of a deal I was given.

mandasand|1340556429|3222860 said:
I had to look up what a passion diamond was because I've never heard of it. On the website it states "Every Passion Cut Diamond , 0.75 ct. and larger, comes with a detailed gemological report certified by the leading international gemological laboratories." However, we would need to know from you which lab graded it.

I am pretty sure that you paid a premium for this cut. However, $5300 does not seem totally off base, to me.

Christina is right...if you are happy, it doesn't really matter!

Thanks. I was told that he could not discount the Scott Kay setting (which I'm sure is a lie) so that's why I was a bit curious.

Venice|1340569113|3222917 said:
I would just like to say that I think the setting is absolutely gorgeous! Scott Kay makes a quality product.

Thank you, we looked at literally hundreds of rings in store and this was "the one". Good to know that the Scott Kay is a quality setting.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is strange he could not discount the setting since you bought the stone and setting with him. Usually the jeweler will take some money off if you get the whole ring through him. Is it possible to try and do some more negotiation? Maybe it's too late.

The jeweler I was working with gave us a discount on both the stone and setting (and it was a designer setting). So, I think you're right that he is full of it.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I looked up the scott kay setting that you purchased and another vendor was selling it for 3200. so it looks like you paid 2100. for a 1ct diamond. I suspect that your center stone was graded by EGL or another lab with soft or inconsistent grading, however when I did a search for an EGL stone with the same specs as yours, I still couldn't find one for less than $3000. Does this mean that you got a good deal? Probably not. Diamonds sell for what they are worth and there are very seldom any good deals. So if you paid 2k for your diamond it's likely worth 2k. and the specs will compare similarly to other diamonds of the same weight at same price. It's extremely unlikely that your diamond is an H color and SI2 clarity by GIA or AGS standards (the only two labs recommended by most PSers). I would encourage you to have an independent appraisal of your stone done, you will need one for insurance purposes anyway, and this will be an honest representation of the diamond that you purchased. This should not be done by a jeweler or anyone that sells jeweler but by a true independent appraiser.

Again, if none of this matters to you and you are both happy with the diamond, then that's whats important. But since you posted on RT and asked for an honest opinion, then that's what I gave. If however, you decide in a few days that you are unhappy with the purchase and want guidance in selecting a new stone than I would encourage you to come back. There are a lot of great people here that can make some beautiful selections for you to consider.

Stol3n

Rough_Rock
mandasand|1340666792|3223534 said:
I think it is strange he could not discount the setting since you bought the stone and setting with him. Usually the jeweler will take some money off if you get the whole ring through him. Is it possible to try and do some more negotiation? Maybe it's too late.

The jeweler I was working with gave us a discount on both the stone and setting (and it was a designer setting). So, I think you're right that he is full of it.

He said something about if they were caught discounting any of Scott Kay's line then they would be pulled and no longer be able to sell any of their products. I spent 2hrs negotiating to the price I paid...it got down to a $6 make it or break it deal. In which I was not going to pay a dime more than what I offered and he wasn't going to take $6 less. The deal almost did not happen.

I cannot negotiate any further, trust me I gave the salesman hell and then some. The ring has been paid in full and they offer a no return policy (only exchange)...so I guess in a way I'm stuck.

Christina...|1340667792|3223540 said:
I looked up the scott kay setting that you purchased and another vendor was selling it for 3200. so it looks like you paid 2100. for a 1ct diamond. I suspect that your center stone was graded by EGL or another lab with soft or inconsistent grading, however when I did a search for an EGL stone with the same specs as yours, I still couldn't find one for less than $3000. Does this mean that you got a good deal? Probably not. Diamonds sell for what they are worth and there are very seldom any good deals. So if you paid 2k for your diamond it's likely worth 2k. and the specs will compare similarly to other diamonds of the same weight at same price. It's extremely unlikely that your diamond is an H color and SI2 clarity by GIA or AGS standards (the only two labs recommended by most PSers). I would encourage you to have an independent appraisal of your stone done, you will need one for insurance purposes anyway, and this will be an honest representation of the diamond that you purchased. This should not be done by a jeweler or anyone that sells jeweler but by a true independent appraiser.

Again, if none of this matters to you and you are both happy with the diamond, then that's whats important. But since you posted on RT and asked for an honest opinion, then that's what I gave. If however, you decide in a few days that you are unhappy with the purchase and want guidance in selecting a new stone than I would encourage you to come back. There are a lot of great people here that can make some beautiful selections for you to consider.

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I'm not exactly sure who it was graded by. Once I get the ring back form Scott Kay I do plan to have it independently appraised as I plan to ensure the ring for it's value. I've never been keen on the appraisals included with a purchase from a jewelry store...seems they are likely to inflate your appraisals to make you think you came out better than you did. If indeed the Scott Kay setting sells for $3,000 give or take then I already feel better about my purchase.

You said that it's extremely unlikely that my diamond is an H in color and SI2, just for the sake of conversation...if after the independent appraisal it turns out your are right. Wouldn't that be terms for a legal case against the jeweler for false pretense i.e. an offense involving intent to defraud and false representation and obtaining property as a result of that misrepresentation.

I would love to see any recommendations you or any one else may have for me.

:twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would have to be off at least two grades in color or clarity to challenge the jeweler, but the thing is, you didn't pay for a GIA H SI2 anyway. You bought a very fine setting and probably a very poor diamond at that price (probably equal to GIA J I1 or lower and it may or may not face up the size of a 1 ct. stone). What would have been better, in my opinion, would to have bought a .85-.90 GIA Excellent cut stone and put it in that very nice setting. It is good when people come here before they write the check, because we could have helped you get a really nice stone.

Unless you are going to an independent appraiser, you are still likely to get an inflated appraisal. And grading of a diamond already set in a setting is not as accurate as having it appraised beforehand. If the stone hasn't been set and you can pause the process, I would absolutely stop and get the grading report on that stone and see if you can maybe get them to exchange the stone before they make the setting. We can help you know what to ask for.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1340549070|3222805 said:
It probably isn't a diamond that we would have recommended for you but like you said your finance is very happy and that's all that matters.

And since you're asking the question after the fact do you really want to know? Are you happy with the purchase? Do you love the diamond? That's more important than anything we can say about it.

X-tina says it best. At this point, your fiance is happy... even if we tell you it's the worst purchase in the world or you overpaid (hypothetical, worst case scenario as I know nothing of the stone), would you really want to take your fiance's happiness away? I made that decision when all that my fiance wanted was a princess, but then I managed to show her rounds, open up her mind to rounds, and she REALLY appreciates RB more than her original want for a fancy cut. It was a risk I took, so is it a risk you're willing to take? =)

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Stol3n|1340678270|3223636 said:
You said that it's extremely unlikely that my diamond is an H in color and SI2, just for the sake of conversation...if after the independent appraisal it turns out your are right. Wouldn't that be terms for a legal case against the jeweler for false pretense i.e. an offense involving intent to defraud and false representation and obtaining property as a result of that misrepresentation.

I would love to see any recommendations you or any one else may have for me.

:twirl:

I wouldn't think so because grading is very subjective; they are selling you a "graded" diamond - as far as the lab goes, it may not be accurate but it's "graded" nonetheless. So the gemologist or person is grading the stone against a master set and "thinks" its this or that...thus it's very subjective. For instance, hypothetically, let's say I'm a "Gemologist" and I sell uncerted stones with grades that I give. Let's assume I only have a master stone set and no UV light to determine fluorescence. A stone could truly be J/K/L and with the right amount of fluor, the stone could easily face up as white as a H or better. So to my knowledge and eyes, the stone is H or better, having only considered color in this equation. Can you really sue me for thinking a stone is H or better color when I'm comparing it at a master stone set (I sure hope not!!!)? The appraisal will help confirm if it's near what it's "graded" as, to allow one to keep it or return IMO.

Stol3n

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1340682081|3223661 said:
I think it would have to be off at least two grades in color or clarity to challenge the jeweler, but the thing is, you didn't pay for a GIA H SI2 anyway. You bought a very fine setting and probably a very poor diamond at that price (probably equal to GIA J I1 or lower and it may or may not face up the size of a 1 ct. stone). What would have been better, in my opinion, would to have bought a .85-.90 GIA Excellent cut stone and put it in that very nice setting. It is good when people come here before they write the check, because we could have helped you get a really nice stone.

Unless you are going to an independent appraiser, you are still likely to get an inflated appraisal. And grading of a diamond already set in a setting is not as accurate as having it appraised beforehand. If the stone hasn't been set and you can pause the process, I would absolutely stop and get the grading report on that stone and see if you can maybe get them to exchange the stone before they make the setting. We can help you know what to ask for.

Correct, I did not purchase a GIA H SI2 stone, I purchased an H SI2 1ct. Passion Cut diamond (I'm not even certain that GIA certifies the Passion Cut as it is a specialty cut). I do plan on having it independently appraised (not at a jeweler).

At least I bought a quality setting it appears, I just hope the diamond is half of what it's claimed to be. The diamond faces up extremely well (larger than most of the 1ct. diamonds I have compared it to anyways).

The stone has not been set but I believe it has already been shipped to Scott Kay. The reason being is that Scott Kay will be setting to diamond once the ring is complete.

I wished I had found this site earlier. Being that this was my first rodeo, I sure could have used all of the help I could get when making my first purchase.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you still return it for a full refund?

It is best to check here at PS before the purchase.

Stol3n

Rough_Rock
TitanCi|1340683831|3223675 said:
X-tina says it best. At this point, your fiance is happy... even if we tell you it's the worst purchase in the world or you overpaid (hypothetical, worst case scenario as I know nothing of the stone), would you really want to take your fiance's happiness away? I made that decision when all that my fiance wanted was a princess, but then I managed to show her rounds, open up her mind to rounds, and she REALLY appreciates RB more than her original want for a fancy cut. It was a risk I took, so is it a risk you're willing to take? =)

I would never taker her happiness away...the setting, the diamond, etc. was all her decision. We shopped together and it was very clear that there was no budget. She review hundreds of rings in person before she chose the Scott Kay setting. She then picked out her diamond. Like I told her, I'm just paying for it, it is your ring and if your are 100% happy with it and would not change a thing about it then I am happy as well.

TitanCi|1340683831|3223675 said:
I wouldn't think so because grading is very subjective; they are selling you a "graded" diamond - as far as the lab goes, it may not be accurate but it's "graded" nonetheless. So the gemologist or person is grading the stone against a master set and "thinks" its this or that...thus it's very subjective. For instance, hypothetically, let's say I'm a "Gemologist" and I sell uncerted stones with grades that I give. Let's assume I only have a master stone set and no UV light to determine fluorescence. A stone could truly be J/K/L and with the right amount of fluor, the stone could easily face up as white as a H or better. So to my knowledge and eyes, the stone is H or better, having only considered color in this equation. Can you really sue me for thinking a stone is H or better color when I'm comparing it at a master stone set (I sure hope not!!!)? The appraisal will help confirm if it's near what it's "graded" as, to allow one to keep it or return IMO.

I agree and see where you are coming from with checking it by a master set. However, if you are under the impression that this is what I am buying and I take your word for it then that is what I expect to be getting. If you made an honest mistake in your grading, so be it. Yet, if you knew it wasn't as advertised and then falsely misrepresented it to make me think otherwise then you'd fall under false pretense.

If the independent appraisal is even close then all is fine by me, but let's just say there's a $3-4000 difference, then we have problems.

Once I have the independent appraisal back I will be sure to post all of the specs on the diamond.

Stol3n

Rough_Rock
kenny|1340684697|3223681 said:

I wish.

Unfortunately, the ring was paid in full and the store has a no refund policy. Not sure that there's anything I can do.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stol3n|1340685933|3223690 said:

I wish.

Unfortunately, the ring was paid in full and the store has a no refund policy. Not sure that there's anything I can do.
I don't think anything good will come of you posting the grading report and getting feedback about the cost. You bought the ring, you can't return it, she's happy with it. I think you may suffer some serious buyer's remorse if you pursue this any further. I would drop it if I were you. For your own good, really.

Unfortunately, we see this all too often. People come here after they made the purchase thinking we're going to say, "WOW! You got an amazing deal. A steal, really!" When in reality they didn't get a good deal at all. Let this be a reminder to lurkers--Get your feedback BEFORE you buy! Please! For the love of bling, don't pull the trigger until you've done your due diligence here on PS.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1340686299|3223693 said:
Stol3n|1340685933|3223690 said:

I wish.

I don't think anything good will come of you posting the grading report and getting feedback about the cost. You bought the ring, you can't return it, she's happy with it. I think you may suffer some serious buyer's remorse if you pursue this any further. I would drop it if I were you. For your own good, really.

Unfortunately, we see this all too often. People come here after they made the purchase thinking we're going to say, "WOW! You got an amazing deal. A steal, really!" When in reality they didn't get a good deal at all. Let this be a reminder to lurkers--Get your feedback BEFORE you buy! Please! For the love of bling, don't pull the trigger until you've done your due diligence here on PS.

OP- I REALLY am on your side and hope good comes your way...

Haven- that should be PS's official motto: FOR THE LOVE OF BLING, DO THE RIGHT THING! :bigsmile:

Stol3n

Rough_Rock
Haven|1340686299|3223693 said:

By telling me nothing good will come of the grading report being posted & I should drop it for my own good clearly shows you have not read into what I am asking. So let me be a bit clearer. This is a learning experience for me and if I can show may cards to someone who can help me then something good comes out of it (whether you think so or not), good or bad it's a starting point to build upon.

This thread was started for the sole purpose of gaining knowledge as to what I actually bought, and if others thought I was in the ballpark for a first time buyer with no prior diamond experience. Something to gauge by, a starting point in the diamond industry, if you will. Trust me, my feelings will not be hurt in the slightest. I asked for opinions & then reassured others that I want to know the truth.

Unlike some, I do not need to be told "wow, you did great", "what a steal" to feel good about myself. I don't want you to tell me what I want to hear, I want the truth...be it I got ripped or I did good, it doesn't make a difference to me. I want to know just for the sake of knowing. It was a $5,300 purchase, it's not the end of the world.

Like I have stated numerous times, is she's happy then I'm happy. I'm just curious, that's all!

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
So, the "Passion Cut" is a round brilliant with extra facets (81 instead of the normal 57-58). These branded cuts are popular with mall jewelry stores. I got engaged with one like it, a "Centillion Cut" from Kay Jewelers that had 100 facets. These brands tend to flare up for a while and then be replaced by something new. Kay's stopped selling the Centillion (apparently in the 1990s), then sold the Leo Diamond, which has something like 66 facets. Don't know what they're up to now.

Yes, the "Passion Cut" can be certified by GIA. It's typical for these branded stones to not be independently certified, or to be sent to one of the less reputable laboratories, however. It's basically a gimmick to give you a reason to pick an overpriced brick & mortar store over a more competitively-priced online stone with more information and more stringent grading.

As everyone has indicated, you probably do not have an ideal performer. However, for what it's worth, these mall jeweler gimmicky stones often have a couple of things going for them. The extra faceting tends to (1) disguise color fairly well and (2) give a lot of scintillation.

My Centillion would probably never be graded "ideal," but two appraisers had trouble assigning it a color grade face-up, and remarked at how well the cut "hid" color. Face down, it was graded as no better than J, possibly K-L depending on the appraiser. Face-up, it compares favorably to my AGS H super-ideal stone. So, DH got a K-ish stone, but if it looks like a higher color, and no one ever in more than a decade of wearing it thought it looked tinted, well, I suppose that's okay. The gimmick is allowing the jeweler to charge more for the stone than if it were accurately color-graded, but at least it looks pretty good.

My mall stone was also very "glittery" with the extra facets, displays fire, and is generally fairly bright. I notice that, since I've bezeled it for a pendant, it shows more darkness, so it probably has leakage and was relying upon light entering from the sides and under the stone to appear brighter. But it looks fairly flashy, which seems like what a diamond should do, and as long as it's prong set with a decently open setting, it looks very bright.

If you're stuck with it, and she's happy, there you are. Maybe in the future, you'll want to "upgrade" the stone to a better performer, and keep the setting, since it seems like the setting really drove the purchase in your GF's eyes. We're seeing a lot more women more interested in the setting than the diamond. It's oddly-placed priorities, IMO, but it's becoming pretty common. No one wants a "boring" solitaire, they want totally bling-encrusted, and that's often at the expense of the center stone. But a skilled jeweler can replace your center stone, and maybe you want to keep that in mind for a future anniversary.

Stol3n

Rough_Rock
milton333|1340688039|3223704 said:
So, the "Passion Cut" is a round brilliant with extra facets (81 instead of the normal 57-58). These branded cuts are popular with mall jewelry stores. I got engaged with one like it, a "Centillion Cut" from Kay Jewelers that had 100 facets. These brands tend to flare up for a while and then be replaced by something new. Kay's stopped selling the Centillion (apparently in the 1990s), then sold the Leo Diamond, which has something like 66 facets. Don't know what they're up to now.

Yes, the "Passion Cut" can be certified by GIA. It's typical for these branded stones to not be independently certified, or to be sent to one of the less reputable laboratories, however. It's basically a gimmick to give you a reason to pick an overpriced brick & mortar store over a more competitively-priced online stone with more information and more stringent grading.

As everyone has indicated, you probably do not have an ideal performer. However, for what it's worth, these mall jeweler gimmicky stones often have a couple of things going for them. The extra faceting tends to (1) disguise color fairly well and (2) give a lot of scintillation.

My Centillion would probably never be graded "ideal," but two appraisers had trouble assigning it a color grade face-up, and remarked at how well the cut "hid" color. Face down, it was graded as no better than J, possibly K-L depending on the appraiser. Face-up, it compares favorably to my AGS H super-ideal stone. So, DH got a K-ish stone, but if it looks like a higher color, and no one ever in more than a decade of wearing it thought it looked tinted, well, I suppose that's okay. The gimmick is allowing the jeweler to charge more for the stone than if it were accurately color-graded, but at least it looks pretty good.

My mall stone was also very "glittery" with the extra facets, displays fire, and is generally fairly bright. I notice that, since I've bezeled it for a pendant, it shows more darkness, so it probably has leakage and was relying upon light entering from the sides and under the stone to appear brighter. But it looks fairly flashy, which seems like what a diamond should do, and as long as it's prong set with a decently open setting, it looks very bright.

If you're stuck with it, and she's happy, there you are. Maybe in the future, you'll want to "upgrade" the stone to a better performer, and keep the setting, since it seems like the setting really drove the purchase in your GF's eyes. We're seeing a lot more women more interested in the setting than the diamond. It's oddly-placed priorities, IMO, but it's becoming pretty common. No one wants a "boring" solitaire, they want totally bling-encrusted, and that's often at the expense of the center stone. But a skilled jeweler can replace your center stone, and maybe you want to keep that in mind for a future anniversary.

Milton, thank you for the amazing post.

I must add that the Passion Cut diamond was not forced on us or put out there to be superior (extra sparkly, blingy, etc.) to the standard cut. The diamond was bought from D. Geller & Son (independently owned business) and not a chain store in the mall. To be honest, we asked to see several diamonds. The salesman brought out several for review and never even spoke of the Passion Cut diamond. We narrowed it down to the final two and then down to one. The Passion Cut diamond. It was at this point that he realized that he even brought out the Passion Cut diamond. The whole time he had no clue, I guess due to the volume of customers in the store and it being 1hr before closing time it slipped by him.

It was at this point that he began to tell me a little bit about the Passion Cut diamond. He also basically said the same thing you did, the fancy cuts come and go. Never once did he try and push the Passion Cut on me. I actually had no clue it was even a Passion Cut until we selected it and he realized he had brought it out.

I will continue to learn as much as I can and consult with the fine fellow members here at PS when the time for an "upgrade" comes.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stol3n|1340678270|3223636 said:
He said something about if they were caught discounting any of Scott Kay's line then they would be pulled and no longer be able to sell any of their products. I spent 2hrs negotiating to the price I paid...it got down to a $6 make it or break it deal. In which I was not going to pay a dime more than what I offered and he wasn't going to take $6 less. The deal almost did not happen.

I cannot negotiate any further, trust me I gave the salesman hell and then some.
The ring has been paid in full and they offer a no return policy (only exchange)...so I guess in a way I'm stuck.
I didn't mean to offend you with my last post, so I'm sorry if I did. The quote I included here is what made me think that you take some pride in the deal you struck with this salesman, and if that were the case, then I'm not sure what good can come of us telling you NOW that you didn't really strike a deal at all.

I see now that you really want to know what you bought and what it is truly worth, but again, the real shame is that you're gathering this information AFTER you purchased this stone.

As for getting some good out of this, I wonder if you could somehow demand that this jeweler provide you with a stone that appraises at the specs they sold you (from an independent 3rd party appraiser, of course). However, since you've already paid and you bought from a place that doesn't allow returns, I have no idea if this is something you could swing. It would be worth a shot of course. If I were you, and I had this stone appraised and learned that I overpaid by a large amount, I would probably go into the store every day for as long as it took. And I'd write letters. And if they really refused to work with me, I might go to the little local paper and encourage them to do an expose or a PSA about how the store is ripping people off. But I'm very cheap and I hate being taken advantage of. (Assuming you were taken advantage of, which we don't even know to be true, yet.)

I'm not trying to be cruel. It's quite the contrary, I feel awful whenever these sort of posts come up. I hope you can find some satisfying resolution. (Ideally, I hope you learn that you got a steal and that we PSers are all a bunch of fools and know nothing at all!)

Stol3n

Rough_Rock
Haven|1340690059|3223713 said:
I didn't mean to offend you with my last post, so I'm sorry if I did. The quote I included here is what made me think that you take some pride in the deal you struck with this salesman, and if that were the case, then I'm not sure what good can come of us telling you NOW that you didn't really strike a deal at all.

I see now that you really want to know what you bought and what it is truly worth, but again, the real shame is that you're gathering this information AFTER you purchased this stone.

As for getting some good out of this, I wonder if you could somehow demand that this jeweler provide you with a stone that appraises at the specs they sold you (from an independent 3rd party appraiser, of course). However, since you've already paid and you bought from a place that doesn't allow returns, I have no idea if this is something you could swing. It would be worth a shot of course. If I were you, and I had this stone appraised and learned that I overpaid by a large amount, I would probably go into the store every day for as long as it took. And I'd write letters. And if they really refused to work with me, I might go to the little local paper and encourage them to do an expose or a PSA about how the store is ripping people off. But I'm very cheap and I hate being taken advantage of. (Assuming you were taken advantage of, which we don't even know to be true, yet.)

I'm not trying to be cruel. It's quite the contrary, I feel awful whenever these sort of posts come up. I hope you can find some satisfying resolution. (Ideally, I hope you learn that you got a steal and that we PSers are all a bunch of fools and know nothing at all!)

Please do not apologize, it was a simple misunderstanding. The part that you quoted was a response to someone who suggested to me that I try and negotiate further. No harm, no foul. =) Simply put, I was responding by saying there is no room for negotiation at this point ($6 was almost a deal breaker).

It is a bit of a shame to find out what I bought AFTER the fact but it's was and is a learning experience for me...something to go by. Generally speaking, I learn by mistakes and never make the same again. I'm sure you guys see post similar to mine that do not turn out well and leave the OP with buyer's remorse, the blues, and feeling sick. Not the case here.

Ideally, I just want to know if what I paid was a fair deal considering. Unfortunately, I won't have any information to post for a few weeks as Scott Kay quoted me a 3 week turnaround, but hey it never hurts to get the ball rolling

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, good. Well, I anxiously await further information! I really do hope that it turns out you got a great deal. And if that's not the case, then I hope you can work something out with the jeweler.

ETA: You can also take heart knowing that MOST men who buy engagement rings never find PS. Most of them walk into a store, negotiate a price, and walk out with a ring. They never learn what they *really* have, as far as the diamond is concerned, and they live their entire lives perfectly happy with the purchase. And more importantly, their wives are happy with it as well. And really, what can be more important than that? It is just money, after all.

Stol3n

Rough_Rock
Haven|1340691365|3223725 said:
Oh, good. Well, I anxiously await further information! I really do hope that it turns out you got a great deal. And if that's not the case, then I hope you can work something out with the jeweler.

ETA: You can also take heart knowing that MOST men who buy engagement rings never find PS. Most of them walk into a store, negotiate a price, and walk out with a ring. They never learn what they *really* have, as far as the diamond is concerned, and they live their entire lives perfectly happy with the purchase. And more importantly, their wives are happy with it as well. And really, what can be more important than that? It is just money, after all.

well said.

There will be future "upgrades" for the misses and I can assure you that I will consult with the PS pros whenever it's time for the next purchase.

Better to have found PS late then to not have found it at all I guess.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results