shape
carat
color
clarity

Scared to death I've been scammed :,-(

Skeered

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I am completely green when it comes to buying a loose diamond - this is my 1st experience. And this is going to be a long one, so please bear with me.
Hindsight is so 20/20 and I fear I may be too late in seeking everyone's opinion.. My boyfriend has already sent a wire transfer from his bank account to an online dealer.. Here's how it went:
I have been looking online for a loose diamond for over a month. I got caught up in learning diamond knowledge and visited multiple sites, using the search engine that seems to be common on several sites and is very similar to the one on here.
Intitally I was on a site called 1 800 Loose Diamonds. I used the search on their site and FINALLY, I found what I was looking for. I called their number, spoke to a lady who took my info and promised me a call back. I waited a day and when I didn't hear from them, I googled "loose diamonds" and found another site called loosediamondexchange.com. The site looks like many others, however I couldn't get the search engine to work properly; it was not bringing up thousands of results like I had experienced on others. I called and talked to a man who asked me what I was looking for. I explained that I had found exactly what I wanted on another site and told him the cut/color/clarity of the diamond as well as the dimensions. He took my info and shortly after our call, I recieved an email from him saying he had found the exact diamond I wanted, provided a link to the GIA Certificate and also said the price listed was "wire transfer" price. (I thought nothing of this, as I have seen "cash" or "wire" price on many other sites, so thinking this is common) He said he did not have the diamond, but could get it for me within 2 weeks, give or take a few days. He also sent an instruction document (Word doc) with all of the info we needed to take to the bank and send the money. We spoke on the phone again and he explained that the diamond was outside of the U.S., which was the reason it would take longer to ship and why he requires wire payments.
My boyfriend sent the money from his bank on Monday - I called the dealer a few hours later and he logged on to his bank account and said "yep, I see the funds are pending." He said to give him a day or two and he would let me know when I should expect it to be delivered, explaining that he would have it shipped to him, then he would Fed Ex it to me. I called him again Wednesday and he said he had ordered it.. I asked if he had any tracking info and he said "not yet" that he wouldn't provide shipping info until he sends it to me.
After mulling this over for a few days with the boyfriend (who is now very concerned), I called again yesterday and told him that the bf is freaking out and that I needed a receipt. Again, he was very friendly and said he understood the worry; he would send a receipt via email.
What I received from him was typed up on a Word doc, showing all the basic transaction information. It has a banner across the top that says "loosediamondexchange.com" - and that's it. No address, no name. Also, none of the email correspondence is personalized (no names/signature).
He is accredited with the BBB (A rating) which shows them being in business since 2005, has a GeoTrust certification and is an Authorize.net merchant. I realize those are about protecting online transactions through the site.
I've been up all night researching the owner - he's had a jewelry store in the past, had starfacets.com that now loops back to loosediamondexchange.com and even has a few Youtube video advertisements from 2008. So, he's out there. If only I had been so diligent BEFORE the money got wired.
So at this point, I am scared out of my mind - this diamond cost $4248.00 !! It's a radiant cut, 1.50/J/SI1 and is GIA certified. Am I being irrational here, or do I have reason to be afraid? Sorry for the novel.

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
I think we have all been in your shoes at some point. It's the amount of money that definitely scares you, I say wait it out, I'm sure you will get your diamond. I had to wait over two weeks for one of mine before. When it's coming overseas it does add some time, I'm sure some more experts will chime in shortly. But I don't think you've experienced anything out of the ordinary when it comes to online diamond purchases.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skeered|1423927787|3832489 said:
So at this point, I am scared out of my mind - this diamond cost $4248.00 !! It's a radiant cut, 1.50/J/SI1 and is GIA certified. Am I being irrational here, or do I have reason to be afraid? Sorry for the novel.
Do you know the GIA lab report # ?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope it works out, that does seem a low price for something with those specs.

Skeered

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your responses..
Yes, I have the report # 2166326427. I've checked it on their site and it's legit.
Update: I just spent an hour on the phone with this guy. He says it's coming from India and he isn't buying it directly; he has a supplier here and will not divulge that info but again assured me I would get the diamond, and would love it. If not, he will refund 100%. He also says he will transfer the money back if the diamond isn't on its way to me by the 25th.
After everything we discussed, I feel much more at ease. he cleared up a lot of the questions I had after playing detective all night, and we are now actually Facebook friends. His profile pics match the person in his YouTube videos :)
I've decided that I just have to relax and have faith that this will end well.
I'll update when I have great news ☺️

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
Like i mentioned before I think we have all been there as first time online diamond buyers lol. Glad you have some peace of mind now. Alot of diamonds do come from India so it takes some time when the diamond isn't "in house". Make sure you take lots of pictures for us when you get it!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Obviously, you understood that there was some sort of risk associated with the purchase of something you don't fully understand, a diamond". You added to that risk by seeking out a source that may have been the least costly, but this adds to the risks which you needed to take for the sake of a few dollars. Spending a bit more with a commonly known source of diamonds on the Internet would have made you so much more comfortable and eliminated nearly every risk associated with such a purchase. In essence, the last few dollars buy no comfort, add fear, worry, distress and the potential for all your money to vanish. To my way of thinking, this is not a good part of bargain hunting to the very bottom of acquisition cost. We all draw a line somewhere on how much risk and discomfort we can bear. I think you have now sort of found your limit by crossing a bit beyond it. We all hope the diamond arrives and that it is just right.

Skeered

Rough_Rock
I found a diamond that was in my budget, on a website that had a search engine like many many others. I spent almost two months looking for it, changing my mind from emerald, to cushion, then to radiant. My mind was not focused on the negative possibilities that could happen - I was excited about finally finding what I had been searching for. My bf was willing to buy several others that were over 5K, but I was the one shooting for the lower price to offset the cost of having the ring custom made. I don't believe I am the first, or last person to attempt to find the best bargain, nor have a basic faith in people to be honest.
I've learned a few lessons in this and the most important one for me is - thinking positive is much easier than thinking negative.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for sharing your story, Skeered.

Reading it at ease, I think the likelihood of you being scammed in the sense that somebody ran away with your money is small. From an operational business-perspective, the seller has given you info that corresponds with how how he probably works and how many in the industry seem to work. So nothing suspicious there. Most probably, he could have reduced your stress by proper and timely communication though.

However, David touches an important matter, probably important to other future consumers.

No matter whether you are buying online or in a store, assessing the person or company you are buying from is actually more important than assessing the diamond. In today's world of abundance of information, it is important to critically question the information provided. And the person or company at the source of this info is a most important criteria. In diamonds, no matter what diamond one may be selling you, he or she is most of all selling you trust and confidence, hopefully backed by expertise.

Practically, I am amazed at the constant emergence of new websites with a lot of info on thousands of diamonds, but absolutely no info on the seller. Many even come without an address, and one has no idea whether they are in NY, LA, somewhere in the US, or abroad, or on Mars even. I simply do not understand these sellers, nor the consumers ordering from these outfits.

Live long,

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Paul-Antwerp|1424087536|3833332 said:
Thank you for sharing your story, Skeered.

Practically, I am amazed at the constant emergence of new websites with a lot of info on thousands of diamonds, but absolutely no info on the seller. Many even come without an address, and one has no idea whether they are in NY, LA, somewhere in the US, or abroad, or on Mars even. I simply do not understand these sellers, nor the consumers ordering from these outfits.

Live long,

I hope for the best for you, Skeered. Please do share the outcome.

Paul I have to echo your point and add buyer beware.

Not related to diamonds but to buying on the internet-I bargain hunted and bought a brand name appliance from a discount website. I received said appliance- but it was from macy's. The 'company' used someone's stolen macy's card to purchase my item, and just pocketed my payment to them!

The website looked very nice and legitimate on the surface, even good reviews posted online, I'm assuming, because folks received their order and did not scrutinize the paperwork? I don't know. Paypal didn't even want to accept my complaint since I received the item I ordered. I did call Macy's and give them a heads up with the stolen card information on the receipt and offered to send the item back.

Anyways, just because you can use paypal and things 'look' good on the surface, it is worth investigating and buying from a known, legitimate vendor.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Skeered,
I agree with Paul that chances are you will get your diamond and I hope it is beautiful. It is a shame that you and your boyfriend have had to spend days and days of anguish over this. The journey to find the diamond of your life should be a pleasant one.

David makes a great point about the "law of diminishing returns" with regard to saving the last dollar on a diamond purchase. It is like eating that last slice of pie. It leaves you feeling unfulfilled and possibly with a stomach ache! There is much value to be gained from dealing with vendors who provide more than flipping a diamond at the lowest possible price.

We are in the diamond business - yes. But what we provide goes well beyond the product. It is an overall experience that includes full information, constant communication, thorough gemological review and consultation, various assurance guarantees, after sale service and more. We even provide invoices with our address on them :wink2:

Good luck with a soft landing on your transaction. Hope to see you post pictures of a beautiful radiant here soon!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you have resolved the initial concern, but to be honest, I think the biggest mistake was buying a diamond blind with no pictures. There are radiants that are beautiful and radiants that are horribly cut. You absolutely HAVE to buy from someone who provides diamond images and preferably ASET images to show the light return. You may get lucky and get a decent one, but if you are not experienced comparing radiants, I am not sure you will be able to know if it is a really great one or not. We would never recommend buying any diamond without images, and especially any fancy cut diamond. I am glad he is offering you a return policy.

Skeered

Rough_Rock
I'm attempting to post a pic

_27180.jpg

Skeered

Rough_Rock
Happy ending..finally got the diamond and GIA Certificate. I took the diamond to the local jeweler today and he located/varified the laser inscription on the girdle.
Now,we're off to design a ring.
Thank you all for your input.

Medical

Rough_Rock
Glad to hear it, congratulations on your purchase! You have to post pics of the ring when it's done :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results