shape
carat
color
clarity

Scam seller on Etsy

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn’t know where to put this..but wanted to give a warning to those that buy from Etsy..which I do quite often. I had an experience a few months ago where I bought a third diamond band from a seller I used before..but it didn’t work out and I returned it after trying to contact her for a quite a while. My red flag went up when she finally did answer me..She wanted me to send the ring back and she would refund my money..I made sure everything went through the contact area in Etsy so it was documented. I sent the ring back but had it insured for the full amount and did signature confirmation to protect myself. TG I did that because she received the item which I could track..but she never refunded the money. I kept trying to contact her for a month and she would sporadically answer me and say the money was refunded through PayPal which it wasn’t. I noticed that she cancelled the sale through Etsy so I couldn’t leave feedback. I contacted PayPal and because I had the tracking number they were able to see it was received by her. They confirmed she never contacted them for a refund of my money. I had to wait until they made numerous times to contact her..She never responded to them so they deposited the money in my account. I was so relieved. I wanted to leave a review but because she cancelled the order I wasn’t able to do that. Fast track to today..I received contact through Etsy from someone else that bought the same rings I had previously purchased from that seller. She had gone to her jeweler with the rings..the same rings I ordered and kept previous to the problem transaction..and he told her they weren’t diamonds. They didn’t test as diamonds or anything else. He didn’t know what they were. Soooo I probably have cz’s and I’m not not even sure they’re platinum although they are marked as such. Should I buy a cheap diamond tester or slink myself over to a local jeweler and have them tested? Is there a cheap diamond tester I can buy on amazon? Thoughts? Sigh..I don’t want to post the name of the seller because I don’t want to get in trouble so I don’t know how to warn anyone. The only thing I will say is she doesn’t have many sales..They are less than fifty..I though she was just trying to start her business and wanted to give her a chance. :oops:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW. I think you win the "stinkiest transaction" award. That sucks!!

I'm not sure how to test diamonds (or platinum for that matter - assume the rings are heavy, like plat is?) unfortunately.

Now that you've been refunded, I'd list the name of the vendor. You won't be seeing any $ returned from her anyway...

I'm sorry this happened to you.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. I think you win the "stinkiest transaction" award. That sucks!!

I'm not sure how to test diamonds (or platinum for that matter - assume the rings are heavy, like plat is?) unfortunately.

Now that you've been refunded, I'd list the name of the vendor. You won't be seeing any $ returned from her anyway...

I'm sorry this happened to you.
They’re little stacker bands so thin and not heavy at all. They’re very sparkly but she must have used AAA cz’s..:(2

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, buy a diamond tester! Every PS'er should have one at home IMO. Make sure they are actual diamonds.

If her other rings you ordered are not diamonds please post the name here.

if she used CZ's they will dull over time. I would also take it to your jeweler and have the gold tested to be sure it is 100% what it is stamped. If she will lie about tiny diamonds she may have lied about the content of the bands too.
:angryfire:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, buy a diamond tester! Every PS'er should have one at home IMO. Make sure they are actual diamonds.

If her other rings you ordered are not diamonds please post the name here.

if she used CZ's they will dull over time. I would also take it to your jeweler and have the gold tested to be sure it is 100% what it is stamped. If she will lie about tiny diamonds she may have lied about the content of the bands too.
:angryfire:
Do you know of a good brand to buy?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ugh. that really sucks.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a presidium multi tester. It works well! I think I posted a video of it a long time ago when I was bored. Only complaint is about how quickly the batteries wear out when you are testing lots of items LOL! If the batteries are low it will not test correctly. So be sure and have fresh batteries and a clean surface tip when you are testing. I rub the tester end on a paper or something to make sure no oil or water etc is going to mess with the reading.
It does have a DC plug in port though if you are near outlets. i just don't like cords

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a seller you should name because thats some seriously shady shit.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay..The seller is Facetlane..The only thing I can for sure say is what she did to me and PayPal had to get involved. I was contacted by a Jennifer today from Etsy. She contacted everyone that left a review to warn them her diamonds in the band weren’t diamonds and the jeweler couldn’t even identify what they were. I believe her because of what the seller did to me. I’m going to get a diamond tester to see if mine are also fake. The last person to leave the review also had a problem. I have a feeling her scam was to get the money and then cancel the sale so you couldn’t leave feedback to warn others. I’m hoping my diamonds in my two bands are real but I have a feeling they’re not. sad :((

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a seller you should name because thats some seriously shady shit.
I can’t tell you how upset I was at the time. Now I’m getting worked up all over again. I went through the reviews and there was a Jennifer that left a review like me..and her band is exactly like mine..I’m not holding out that much hope that mine are diamonds but hers are not. I let you guys know after I test them. Searching amazon for a tester now.

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry this happened to you!
Any local jeweler can test those diamonds for you.
I have a cheapo diamond tester called
Diamond Selector II. I brought it on Amazon for about $17.
It really works great. Another good thing to have is an acid test kit for metal, Amazon, $15.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry this happened to you!
Any local jeweler can test those diamonds for you.
I have a cheapo diamond tester called
Diamond Selector II. I brought it on Amazon for about $17.
It really works great. Another good thing to have is an acid test kit for metal, Amazon, $15.
Thanks stracci2000

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience. I have a shop on Etsy so it's bothersome when these scammers do things like this that makes good honest sellers AND Etsy look bad.

Fingers crossed that your stones are diamonds. Definitely get a tester, it will more than pay for itself over time.

ETA: I would also contact Etsy directly and let them know the whole story after you verify if the diamonds are real or not. She has less than 30 reviews and already one bad review, if she is found to be selling counterfeit goods then they may shut her down.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience. I have a shop on Etsy so it's bothersome when these scammers do things like this that makes good honest sellers AND Etsy look bad.

Fingers crossed that your stones are diamonds. Definitely get a tester, it will more than pay for itself over time.
I purchased many beautiful things on Etsy from wonderful sellers and never had a problem. It won’t prevent me from shopping there..I already have a few things that I would like to purchase after my ban..:lol: It has made me more aware though. My mom just bought me a little DBTY bracelet for Christmas..I’ll test that now where before it wouldn’t even occur to me to do that.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry this happened to you! I hope you're able to get your money back for the other two rings. Thank you for warning others!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is terrible for you.
But yes, there are many “fake” Asian made rings out there. They hallmark them fraudently and sell them as real gold, silver or platinium. The stones are not gems. Your Etsy seller probably bought them from an Asian wholesaler.
Invest in a gem tester, they aren’t practical for coloured gems (synthetic test as natural as they are the same chemical composition) but can ID CZ in an instant from real gems. CZ tests as glass. You can also buy gold testing liquids, but if you go to a pawnbroker or gold seller they will test for you.
Get the ring tested, if fake, contact PayPal, I don’t know how long ago you purchased the other, but you might still be able to get a refund.
Hopefully it can all be resolved for you.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry this happened to you! I hope you're able to get your money back for the other two rings. Thank you for warning others!
I’m not going to be able to get my money back for the other two rings. I’m hoping that girl Jennifer was wrong and they are diamonds..but that seller definitely has a scam going from what she did to me from the last purchase. The seller strung me along so she could get the order cancelled so I couldn’t give feedback...and she ignored PayPal too..so Paypay came through and refunded the money from that ring. The previous two I’m sorry out of luck if they’re not diamonds.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is terrible for you.
But yes, there are many “fake” Asian made rings out there. They hallmark them fraudently and sell them as real gold, silver or platinium. The stones are not gems. Your Etsy seller probably bought them from an Asian wholesaler.
Invest in a gem tester, they aren’t practical for coloured gems (synthetic test as natural as they are the same chemical composition) but can ID CZ in an instant from real gems. CZ tests as glass. You can also buy gold testing liquids, but if you go to a pawnbroker or gold seller they will test for you.
Get the ring tested, if fake, contact PayPal, I don’t know how long ago you purchased the other, but you might still be able to get a refund.
Hopefully it can all be resolved for you.
Thank you Bron357.So I should get both a diamond tester and a gem tester?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not going to be able to get my money back for the other two rings. I’m hoping that girl Jennifer was wrong and they are diamonds..but that seller definitely has a scam going from what she did to me from the last purchase. The seller strung me along so she could get the order cancelled so I couldn’t give feedback...and she ignored PayPal too..so Paypay came through and refunded the money from that ring. The previous two I’m sorry out of luck if they’re not diamonds.

If you purchased the other two via PayPal, it could still be worthwhile to try. The worst that will happen is they say no.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you purchased the other two via PayPal, it could still be worthwhile to try. The worst that will happen is they say no.
Jennifer said the seller strung her along for over a period of months. She said by the time she caught on it was 180 days so PayPal said it was too long and they couldn’t do anything. It’s still possible they’re real..One person that did a review in her feedback said she had the band appraised and she didn’t say they weren’t diamonds...so they must have been real. I bought mine at the beginning of the year..so hopefully she was using real diamonds then...I’ll know soon..I’m trying not to get upset..I’m going to get a blingy one to make up for this stress for medicinal purposes only...:lol:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Bron357.So I should get both a diamond tester and a gem tester?
A Presidium is a better purchase ie it can “help” you sort between types coloured gems as well as diamonds (if can tell you if the red gem is a garnet or a ruby but it can’t tell if the ruby is a synthethic ruby or a real ruby) but more expensive - a few hundred dollars. I have one.
The ones from eBay or Amazon for around $20 can basically only tell between glass and something not glass. Glass has very low thermal (heat) transmission and that’s what all these instruments are reading. The Presidium is a more calibrated machine, the cheap ones are just a light display.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer said the seller strung her along for over a period of months. She said by the time she caught on it was 180 days so PayPal said it was too long and they couldn’t do anything. It’s still possible they’re real..One person that did a review in her feedback said she had the band appraised and she didn’t say they weren’t diamonds...so they must have been real. I bought mine at the beginning of the year..so hopefully she was using real diamonds then...I’ll know soon..I’m trying not to get upset..I’m going to get a blingy one to make up for this stress for medicinal purposes only...:lol:

Fingers crossed that yours are real! :pray:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
They’re real! I don’t know why I didn’t check before but I got out my loupe and can clearly see carbon inclusions. My first ring was full of them so I feel very confident in identifying them..They look like the etch a sketch game from when I was a kid under the loupe. She still is a scammer and tried to keep my money from the third ring..and is still doing that with other people..but both of my rings are real. I don’t know why I didn’t get out my loupe. I guess I freaked out a little..I feel bad for Jennifer because she keeps contacting me and is pretty upset. I’m sure her jeweler knows a diamond when he sees one so I don’t about her rings...but TG mine are real..:appl:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
in all seriousness, if the diamonds are fake, please report them to etsy. There's a "report this shop to etsy" option where her items are listed

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re real! I don’t know why I didn’t check before but I got out my loupe and can clearly see carbon inclusions. My first ring was full of them so I feel very confident in identifying them..They look like the etch a sketch game from when I was a kid under the loupe. She still is a scammer and tried to keep my money from the third ring..and is still doing that with other people..but both of my rings are real. I don’t know why I didn’t get out my loupe. I guess I freaked out a little..I feel bad for Jennifer because she keeps contacting me and is pretty upset. I’m sure her jeweler knows a diamond when he sees one so I don’t about her rings...but TG mine are real..:appl:

oh good!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results