shape
carat
color
clarity

sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
I posted on Rocky Talky by mistake--here goes again. Looking for a reputable sapphire
loose gemstone dealer. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I just responded to you over there...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of people here seem to like the Natural Sapphire Company. I have not bought any of my sapphires online tho so I can''t offer first hand experience.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would you mind sharing your general budget and what you are looking for? Then we can be more specific.

Jeff White has cut some of the most beautiful saphires on PS, in my opinion. Wildfish is great if you are looking for untreated material. Finewater has gorgeous gems as well.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who responded with the great suggestions.
I need a stone to replace one that I lost in a ring--about 1/2 carat round.
Looking at the prices of unheated sapphires, that''s probably about all I
could afford!! I want a nice stone, not too expensive. Thanks so much
for all of your help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want something larger with a tight budget, are you open to a heated sapphire? Heat only with no other treatment? This will open up your selection greatly as well.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
Sorry, tried to reply earlier, but website was experiencing difficulty? The setting
calls for a 1/2 carat round stone. I''m willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars,
but not much more than that. I realize I might not be able to get a super nice stone for
that
8.gif
Has anyone heard of Fahad Hassen? I don''t know if I''m dreaming or not,
but I believe I read his name somewhere on PS. Is he reliable? His name has been
suggested to me for a reasonable stone from Sri Lanka. Again, thanks for the
advice.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
try simply saphhires, they have some gorgeous stones at pretty low price points, some heat treated, some not. Also, if you call and speak to them, they''ll give you an honest comparision of different stones...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid I’ve never heard of this vendor''s name (FH) name before.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
I contacted Jeff White. He only specializes in larger stones.

I think I may have found one, though. Here are the specs:

.32 ct. (certified)
Origin - Ceylon
Color - blue
4.04 x 4.01 x 2.59
Cut - Mixed brilliant
Clarity - VVS2
Transparent
No Enhancements
Seller - The Natural Sapphire Company

Depth - 64.6%
Pavilion Height - 45.6%
Crown Height - 11.5%
Table - 48.0%

I don''t know if the same formula applies to these as to diamonds, but it said that the girdle was
unusually thick. Does it matter with sapphires? What do you think?

I tried to upload a picture, but it didn''t come out right. It''s really beautiful--but, is it worth $350?

HELP!!!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring sapphire is from the natural sapphire company. I love it and my DH picked it out all by himself
2.gif
but their stones can sometimes be not as well cut as other vendors and their prices are a little high. he loved his experience there though and can''t stop singing Livia''s praises
9.gif

That being said, if you want a stone now and like that one, it looks very pretty. Round sapphires are a little harder to find thatn other shapes like cushion and oval so some of the other vendors like simply sapphires wont'' have a lot of selection. I would contact Barry Bridgestock or Dan Stair to see what rough they are working with right now and what they could offer you.

If the NSC is still the best for you and you are happy with the smaller size then go for it.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/15/2010 4:13:12 PM
Author: dyb225
I contacted Jeff White. He only specializes in larger stones.

I think I may have found one, though. Here are the specs:

.32 ct. (certified)

Origin - Ceylon

Color - blue

4.04 x 4.01 x 2.59

Cut - Mixed brilliant

Clarity - VVS2

Transparent

No Enhancements

Seller - The Natural Sapphire Company

Depth - 64.6%

Pavilion Height - 45.6%

Crown Height - 11.5%

Table - 48.0%

I don''t know if the same formula applies to these as to diamonds, but it said that the girdle was

unusually thick. Does it matter with sapphires? What do you think?

I tried to upload a picture, but it didn''t come out right. It''s really beautiful--but, is it worth $350?

HELP!!!!!

Can you post the URL to the stone? That will let people look at it and give you advice.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
I was looking for more of a blue stone to match the other stones in the ring.
Here is the URL to the one I am looking at. Tell me what you think? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-32-Ct-Natural-Blue-Sapphire_W0QQitemZ140373837650QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20aeeec752#ht_4114wt_1167

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
It''s a pretty stone. It''s a nice blue, not dark and definitely not like. I recently bought some studs from NSC with the exact same color and they''re nice. If it matches the color in the other stones in your ring you''ll be set.

The question I would ask though, are you set on wanting an untreated sapphire? If the other stones in your ring are heat treated it might make sense to get a replacement that''s treated as well. You''ll be able to get it for a good deal cheaper. Everything at NSC (for the most part) is not treated and you''ll pay a premium.

One benefit of buying through them is you get 5 days to check it out (as it says in the listing) and can return it if you don''t like it. BUT you will pay the shipping to you ($35) and the overnight shipping back to them if you want to return.

You can look at the ring on their site by using the id number on the ebay listing "b3402", on the NSC site the stone is:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/B3402/Round/stoneid=B3402

All the same info, but you can look at the 3d interactive bit which shows you the cut in detail. The girdle has some weirdness about it which may or may not bug you. The setting you''re using might hide it.

The stone looks decent, good color and the color is evenly saturated, but if you''re not in a panic, I might keep looking and see what comes up.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great advice. You''re right about the other stones probably being treated stones.
Do you have any suggestions as to where I might look? This stone was attractive because it also
came with certs. I''m afraid to buy a pig in a poke. But, I may be going a little overboard with this stone.
Any site suggestions or particular stones, for that matter, would be appreciated. Thanks again.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
I unfortunately can't be of much help with treated stones as I've only dealt with NSC so far ( on two separate purchases). I'm sure some others on the board can suggest some other sites.

Note that the certification is coming from the NSC and not from a third party company like GRS. Some of the more expensive stones as NSC come with both their appraisal and one from another lab. For a stone like this one though it probably safe to say it is what they say it is since their reputation is riding on that, but who knows?

I understand when you say you want to know what you're getting and sometimes that's worth some extra money. If you want more information on the stone you can contact the NSC directly about it and ask their opinion on it. In my experience they're really upfront about things.

There's a NSC rep named Helen who comes on the board here you can ask, or if you want a direct email you can contact Livia (I've dealt with her and she's great, there's also lots of praise from other users on the board who have worked with her). Her email is:

[email protected]

Note that anyone of the people there can help you with questions, but I know she'll take good care of you. I would just email and say you're looking at the stone and what you're planning on doing with it and ask what she thinks about it.

You can look at CherryPicked.com. I find the site a little confusing, but they have a good system of rating the stones that can be helpful. From posts I've read on this forum they have a good reputation. I haven't dealt with them but I think you might be able to find something nice there as well.

http://cherrypicked.com/Gallery/GeneralSearch.aspx?CategoryID=1&action=type

I would stay away from ebay sellers for the most part though, it's really easy to get burned as they're a lot of photoshopping of the stones going on.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a nice stone but is it the colour you like? It is light and bright but not very saturated. However, this stone might be one you prefer over something the market considers top and that''s all right too. For coloured gemstones, we shop by colour (and pictures). The other stats matter somewhat and no cut information is ever discussed in detail. The only requirement is to eyeball the stone for general symmetry and make sure there are no major cutting issues (window, extinction, overly deep and the like). Are you trying to get a blue stone to match your other blue stones? Do you have a picture of your other blue stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results