shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire target CADs from DK. Please take a look :)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all! I am making a sapphire target ring with an 8.3mm oec and need help with the CADs please. Any help would be much appreciated. I already asked David to change the shoulders to a reverse taper slightly up to the halo with diamonds like the ruby target pictured below. He hasn't added the diamonds in there yet.
It will be platinum in a size 7.5-7.75 with sizing beads.
I like that a slim band would fit underneath but think it's a little wide at 15mm!! Eek. So I asked if we should keep the bezels nice and slim and perhaps use smaller sapphires than 2mm.
Any help @Niel would be much appreciated since you're so knowledgeable.

Inspiration ring..
IMG_6318.jpg

I want the shoulders like this one...
IMG_6335.jpg
CADs
42865-quad.png

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh it's going to be so pretty! So blue sapphires and a white center? Does he say the outer bezel needs to be that thick in the profile view? (It looks to be almost 2mm thick). If not, then could it be slimmed up a little which would allow the scroll hearts made a bit more open/bigger? A reverse taper will be pretty. I like the base being thicker to allow your band. Could it have the tri-wire look?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 Thank you so much for weighing in. Yes, the OEC is M color and the sapphires will be medium blue! I have always swooned over these!
So, the bezel around the sapphires is too wide/thick? I did ask if we could get get the whole face up to be a bit smaller so maybe that will help. The shank is tri wire, do you mean under the gallery it should be wider? Like the ring part?
Thanks again so very much!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 Thank you so much for weighing in. Yes, the OEC is M color and the sapphires will be medium blue! I have always swooned over these!
So, the bezel around the sapphires is too wide/thick? I did ask if we could get get the whole face up to be a bit smaller so maybe that will help. The shank is tri wire, do you mean under the gallery it should be wider? Like the ring part?
Thanks again so very much!

These two parts. You don't have to make the tri-wire shape underneath but you could. You might ask if the outer bezel I circled has to be that thick. I love it though!
upload_2018-2-5_19-2-58.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d ask him to copy the profile of msops cads. As wide as it is you’re going to probably have to resolve yourself to this not going with a band, but with the mm size who’ll notice.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-84-u-v-faint-brown-oec-in-dk-halo.235449/

Also ask if he can thin those bezels a little

Otherwise I like the basket very much like msops, snake with the shank. The width is fine you have room I promise. My Elsa has a similar spread but I’ve got fingers like yours. We can take it :lol:

Now these are just questions not suggestions. But with your diamond being an M with some lovely sapphires, does it need diamonds in the shank? If so, so many? With as wide as your ring will be on your finger is it adding a necessary element to the ring?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel is right. I love @msop04's ring and at 15mm wide plus sitting up 2mm higher you have to decide how important a band is. We do have the finger size to do it though! :)

Edit - My new ring is very slightly over 13mm at the outside of the FCs.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel Thank you so much for stopping in!! :) Also thank you for your reassurance about the width I guess I’m just size shy. I think the diamonds on the shank is something I really like and it will be my first foray into something other than a solitaire so I thought I would try to get all the elements I have been missing. Haha. But I do respect your opinion greatly and will take it into consideration. Great eye, I actually reached out to @msop04 about her gallery and sent David her picture for inspiration. Thank you @msop04 :)
You are probably right about the band so perhaps I should have him lower the gallery altogether. I’ve always worn a band (30 years!) but I most likely won’t wear one, or perhaps a very slim one?

@redwood66 I see what you mean. I will ask him if we can thin out the side profile of the outer bezel. Many warm thanks! How are you making do without a band?Old habits are hard to break. Love your new ring. May I ask how wide it is across the top, as we are a similar size.

ETA You answered me while I was typing. Ok, so probably lower it and do without a band. Thanks.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so welcome. I am wearing the engraved band because it just looks right with the ring.

I love target rings and @msop04's ring is one of my favorites. When looking at the finished ring you won't even notice not having a band, but you could always put a plain skinny one on.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel Thank you so much for stopping in!! :) Also thank you for your reassurance about the width I guess I’m just size shy. I think the diamonds on the shank is something I really like and it will be my first foray into something other than a solitaire so I thought I would try to get all the elements I have been missing. Haha. But I do respect your opinion greatly and will take it into consideration. Great eye, I actually reached out to @msop04 about her gallery and sent David her picture for inspiration. Thank you @msop04 :)
You are probably right about the band so perhaps I should have him lower the gallery altogether. I’ve always worn a band (30 years!) but I most likely won’t wear one, or perhaps a very slim one?

@redwood66 I see what you mean. I will ask him if we can thin out the side profile of the outer bezel. Many warm thanks! How are you making do without a band?Old habits are hard to break. Love your new ring. May I ask how wide it is across the top, as we are a similar size.

ETA You answered me while I was typing. Ok, so probably lower it and do without a band. Thanks.

The diamond element is really a personal choice it doesn’t hurt the design at all so if you want it go for it. I ask only becuase, for me, I’m not sure I would want white melee paired with a lower colored diamond and colored stones- I’d worry it might get too busy. However, yours really isn’t even that low so it most likely won’t even be an issue. I would ask for a cad of how the diamonds will be in the band though. I’m sure he’d do it right but you don’t want to assume anything when it comes to custom work

I think lowering it to msops ring will also help with it feeling enormous as it’ll be so low to the finger that the bobble head ring pop feel will be more or less taken away compared to it sitting very high off the finger

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel Yes. All good points I will think about and make adjustments. I agree keeping it low will certainly help with the size it will appear. Thank you so much again. I will be back with more CADs. ;-)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel , @redwood66 and @msop04 May I please pick your brain one last time? This looks perfect to me. What say you ladies?
42865-quad.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you want a flush band with this? IF do, you might ask if the center gallery swirl needs to duck a bit in/up.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you want a flush band with this? IF do, you might ask if the center gallery swirl needs to duck a bit in/up.

Yes, this has been a question of mine too. I really think I would rather it set the lowest it can be over wearing a band. I am afraid raising it up will increase the size appearance to me. I have other rings I can wear when I want to stack...I think this one will be able to stand solo. Good question though.
Thank you for weighing in. Is that the only thing that you have a concern over? Do you see anything else?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The donut looks right now, it looks well proportioned, I’m not a fan of the area for the diamonds myself as you know but thinm he captured exactly what you were going for in that cad. Is he bead setting the diamonds? How many diamonds will fit in there? I need this information I can’t tell from the cad

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel Hmm good question on the diamonds. He just said there will be diamonds there. I asssume they will be bead set like my examples. And perhaps two or three depending on space? I guess I should ask that though I have confidence in his bench. I will ask though.
I think the gallery and profile look much better too! I'll ask about the diamonds. I should also request lower color diamonds as my center stone is?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel Hmm good question on the diamonds. He just said there will be diamonds there. I asssume they will be bead set like my examples. And perhaps two or three depending on space? I guess I should ask that though I have confidence in his bench. I will ask though.
I think the gallery and profile look much better too! I'll ask about the diamonds. I should also request lower color diamonds as my center stone is?

I would want to know for sure.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So there is a donut under there that is just an oval? It is hard to tell from these CADs. I would like to see this view to be sure. I agree with @Niel about wanting to know what the shoulders will look like, and they might be a bit too wide at the bezel. I like the height.

upload_2018-2-7_14-19-5.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So there is a donut under there that is just an oval? It is hard to tell from these CADs. I would like to see this view to be sure. I agree with @Niel about wanting to know what the shoulders will look like, and they might be a bit too wide at the bezel. I like the height.

It’s round, it just appears oval at an angle

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s round, it just appears oval at an angle
I can't tell at all what it is from the latest CAD that doesn't have the view I posted. :confused:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think this is the old CAD. The new one doesn’t show that angle.

I asked about the diamonds in the shank @Niel

Thanks sooooo much ladies. :)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is the old CAD. The new one doesn’t show that angle.

I asked about the diamonds in the shank @Niel

Thanks sooooo much ladies. :)
I know which is why I would want to see it. Better to be safe than sorry if you really can't see the underneath in the new CAD.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this has been a question of mine too. I really think I would rather it set the lowest it can be over wearing a band. I am afraid raising it up will increase the size appearance to me. I have other rings I can wear when I want to stack...I think this one will be able to stand solo. Good question though.
Thank you for weighing in. Is that the only thing that you have a concern over? Do you see anything else?
It won't raise it up, you might just ask if the gallery can slightly suck inward. A little bit concave in the middle.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know which is why I would want to see it. Better to be safe than sorry if you really can't see the underneath in the new CAD.

The cads show the width (as seen by the graph grids) is the same all around so it’s not an oval.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cads show the width (as seen by the graph grids) is the same all around so it’s not an oval.
You may not need to see it and I don't care if it is oval or round. That isn't the point I was making. The gallery has changed by removing the band underneath and it is not that hard to show another view on a CAD. More info is better than less. If @Sandeek doesn't need it ok. I was making a suggestion.

Edit - I noticed the height off the finger has increased even though the band underneath has been removed. It looks like the bowl just got deeper rather than adjusting the whole ring. It looks ok but it will be higher as is. It was kind of flat before.

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 I noticed the height increased as well. Waiting to hear back about the diamonds and I’ll ask him then.
Again, all of your help is much appreciated! I am going to ask him about the height.
@msop04 do you happen to remember the height of your beautiful ring? Or still have the CADs posted here? I'll go look...ETA I see your height on your thread..thanks!
Thanks again @Niel I am waiting to hear back and I thank you for your eyes! ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may not need to see it and I don't care if it is oval or round. That isn't the point I was making. The gallery has changed by removing the band underneath and it is not that hard to show another view on a CAD. More info is better than less. If @Sandeek doesn't need it ok. I was making a suggestion.

Edit - I noticed the height off the finger has increased even though the band underneath has been removed. It looks like the bowl just got deeper rather than adjusting the whole ring. It looks ok but it will be higher as is. It was kind of flat before.

Lol ok I’m just saying it’s round

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like @Niel said. The total height went from 7.2 to 7.41, so this last iteration is tall. Perhaps that is being driven by the diamonds you want in the gallery?

So, I took the two CAD version and got the rings to exactly match on the bottom and sides. Then I added some guidelines to help me see where things are the same vs. different. The first CAD is on the left. The new on the right. The orange lines are for alignment. Look between the top orange and the yellow. He essentially lowered the floor of the gallery over the shank. That gives more gallery view. But, these are both showing the same physical height, but measurements differ. Visually they are the same height, but they differ in the numbers. You might ask DK to confirm the height as I can't quite sort it out.

upload_2018-2-7_18-54-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-7_18-50-12.png
    upload_2018-2-7_18-50-12.png
    370.9 KB · Views: 31
  • upload_2018-2-7_18-54-31.png
    upload_2018-2-7_18-54-31.png
    236.1 KB · Views: 24

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like @Niel said. The total height went from 7.2 to 7.41, so this last iteration is tall. Perhaps that is being driven by the diamonds you want in the gallery?

So, I took the two CAD version and got the rings to exactly match on the bottom and sides. Then I added some guidelines to help me see where things are the same vs. different. The first CAD is on the left. The new on the right. The orange lines are for alignment. Look between the top orange and the yellow. He essentially lowered the floor of the gallery over the shank. That gives more gallery view. But, these are both showing the same physical height, but measurements differ. Visually they are the same height, but they differ in the numbers. You might ask DK to confirm the height as I can't quite sort it out.

upload_2018-2-7_18-54-43.png

Oh wow! How's talented you are and what a great eye Rocky. So am I understanding that it's virtually the same height as the first cad and it's just an illusion that it's taller? I'm a little over my head here...I do really love the newest cad from the profile view so much better even if I've lost the ability of wearing a band flush. Once again, so many warm thanks!:kiss2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! How's talented you are and what a great eye Rocky. So am I understanding that it's virtually the same height as the first cad and it's just an illusion that it's taller? I'm a little over my head here...I do really love the newest cad from the profile view so much better even if I've lost the ability of wearing a band flush. Once again, so many warm thanks!:kiss2:
No worries. Its more that I'm confused. If I aligned everything correctly and they are the exact same height by counting squares on the graph paper, I'm confused why the height is different. We are only talking .2 mm so its probably sloppy alignment on my behalf. But, it just makes me scratch my head.

One minor design note (and totally ignore this if you like), I find the top of the shank (the area above the wraps) looks unresolved. In most rings like this, there are pave diamonds with a flare at the top, a leaf, a split or some other details. I like splits, personally, as they allow for two contact points with the shank and head. Both your inspiration have some diamonds. Maybe those are the diamonds you are mentioning that are not shown? Here are a few more (I personally like the 3rd one the best).

upload_2018-2-7_19-58-48.png
upload_2018-2-7_19-58-2.png
upload_2018-2-7_19-58-28.png

upload_2018-2-7_19-59-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-7_19-57-24.png
    upload_2018-2-7_19-57-24.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 32
  • upload_2018-2-7_19-59-4.png
    upload_2018-2-7_19-59-4.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 31

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries. Its more that I'm confused. If I aligned everything correctly and they are the exact same height by counting squares on the graph paper, I'm confused why the height is different. We are only talking .2 mm so its probably sloppy alignment on my behalf. But, it just makes me scratch my head.

One minor design note (and totally ignore this if you like), I find the top of the shank (the area above the wraps) looks unresolved. In most rings like this, there are pave diamonds with a flare at the top, a leaf, a split or some other details. I like splits, personally, as they allow for two contact points with the shank and head. Both your inspiration have some diamonds. Maybe those are the diamonds you are mentioning that are not shown? Here are a few more (I personally like the 3rd one the best).

upload_2018-2-7_19-58-48.png
upload_2018-2-7_19-58-2.png
upload_2018-2-7_19-58-28.png

upload_2018-2-7_19-59-40.png

She’s said the flair at the top will have diamonds in it they just haven’t been worked into the cad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results