shape
carat
color
clarity

sapphire stats???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cutie1515

Rough_Rock
I do not know ANYTHING about sapphire stats.

Does anyone know about "The National Sapphire Company"

http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandjsring.aspx?stoneid=JS43G

does it look like that plat. pave setting looks sturdy? and do these stones look good?

Stone id : B124
Weight : 5.19
Color : Blue
Shape : Cushion
Dimensions(mm) : 9.24x7.85x7.35
Origin : Ceylon
Treatment : No Enhancement
Cut : Mixed, Brilliant Crown
Color Intensity : Vivid
Clarity : Perfection (IF, VVS1)
Per Carat Price : $4000.00
Stone id : B101
Weight : 6.56
Color : Blue
Shape : Cushion
Dimensions(mm) : 10.51x8.86x7.75
Origin : Ceylon
Treatment : No Enhancement
Cut : Mixed, Brilliant Crown
Color Intensity : Vivid
Clarity : Perfection (IF, VVS1)
Per Carat Price : $3800.00

i tried to put the link of what the sapphires looks like, but it just kept going back, but if you go to the link above, (click on) select stones for mounting, then CUSHION/BLUE/$15000 TO $30000

(the stones are the first one and the 3rd one)

thank you so much for your time, i have learned so much from everyone that goes to this site. let me know if i''''m on the wrong track here.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I like the top halo part of the ring, but the band looks really tiny. I think it should at least be the same width as the halo, especially with a center stone that large.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 4:23:20 PM
Author:cutie1515
I do not know ANYTHING about sapphire stats.

Does anyone know about ''The National Sapphire Company''
That would be "natural" not "national" I think
1.gif
. I''ve had good experience with them - highly recommended.

For sapphire, it is more important to look at a bunch of stones than to worry about stats. That said, the first one will look too small for a five carat stone, and the color of the second one doesn''t come across well in the photos.

Based on photos alone, I like some of their four carat stones better than anything five or more they have right now in that price range - http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandedstones.aspx?stoneid=B742, http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandedstones.aspx?stoneid=B2014. I haven''t seen what I want in stock now over five carats and under $6000/carat.

The Tucson show is coming up in a few weeks. Have you thought about asking a trusted vendor who''s going there like Gary Dutton to keep an eye open for you?

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
NSC is a very reputable high end dealer. Good people.

Both sapphires have vivid ratings which is their highest rating.

Only thing I see perhaps is the 1st sapphire list has a slightly deep cut - but still in a good range. I always try to remind people to pay attention to face up size when comparing prices and price/ct - as a smaller ct weight sapphire may have the same face up size as a larger one - assuming both are great looking.

Just to confuse things a bit -Here is another option to consider from another high end untreated sapphire dealer - note the larger face up size vs ct weight. In other words - although smaller 4.28ct it has a face up a bit larger than the NSC 5.19 ct ...and cost a tad less too....assuming that they are both are of equal quality and appeal to you in person.

For this kind of major purchase I think a road trip to New York city to see a bunch of these sapphires in person at NSC's and Cherry's office would be in order!
9.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Another stat for you - given two stones of equal quality (whatever that means
1.gif
) five carats is considered more "collectable" than four carats. For equal quality and appearance and a similar price, I'd choose the five carat stone.

The 4.28 is a nice looking stone Bertrand, I like that better than the other blue sapphires in that size range he has up now. I have the idea that the listed prices there are quite fair, but somewhat higher on average than for similar quality at other places like Arnstein/NSC, with specific exceptions.

Good advice to take a trip where you can look at several things at once, to calibrate your eye so to speak. Ultimately though I'd rather make a purchase decision for something like this after spending more time with a few things. Both of these companies are glad to ship things on approval. Note that shipping cost for NSC can be quite a bit lower.

Finally, even though the sellers' rankings and pricing will give you an idea about what you want to look at, ultimately their "vivid" or "4.7" has to be taken with a grain of salt. More than once I've seen "high scoring" stones I wouldn't want to own. Best to either get enough experience to trust your own instincts, or to find a seller you trust implicitly. Gary Dutton is one of the very few folks I know like this, but he doesn't specialize in larger sapphire like Arnstein and Reginald Miller. Because really fine, five carat unheated stones are so few and far between, you may find more success working with someone who has access to more than one top supplier.

Good luck with the search.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Good points Elmo and I especially agree with taking anyone’s ratings with a grain of salt. I think it was storm that posted something like "trust - but verify" when making these kinds of purchases. An independent lab/appraiser and certification is usually warranted in these high-end stones.

I have mentioned before that at least for my cherry picked sapphire - the cherry picked ratings (scores) and internet price - matched very well to my independent lab grading and appraisal - and as such I trust (but will always verify) stones from Cherry/Reginald.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results