shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Shop Front in NYC

childofthestar

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I saw the vendor lists and looked at some past threads on NYC boutique for Blue Sapphires. Thought I'd ask again for an updated perspective.

Anyways I'd be going to NYC this August and wondering if there's any recommended shop front or boutiques to my preferences on an engagement ring!

1.5-2.5 carats
Natural Unheated Sapphire
Budget: not beyond $6,000

As I'm quite new to the scene (actually as a bride to be, my bf should be the one doing the homework!), I checked out primagem as well as some other loose gemstones websites.. I'm thinking, is it worth it to buy them loosely (buy a single sapphire only) and head to my local jeweller (I live in Singapore) to do up a ring (with small diamond halos around a likely Oval sapphire), or I should just purchase the full ring as i prefer directly?

Thanks folks for any inputs. So glad I found this gem! (Pricescope community. I mean y'all!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One stop shop but you need to make an appointment first so that they can line up stones and settings that meet your specifications:

David of Diamonds by Lauren - www.diamondsbylauren.com
Jaimeen Shah - www.primagemsusa.com

I was around your neck of the woods recently and found the pricing high for the quality.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that if you can find something you like at the shops Chrono mentioned, then that would be a pretty awesome solution.

Having read into singpost, and fedex and DHL's policies, I can not find a reliable way to ship a loose stone back to the US insured (I am still confused about EMS so maybe I have not covered all the bases yet). Ultimately this is making purchasing truly expensive stones online relatively stressful. I can not help but wonder: what happens if I don't love the stone when it gets here? If you have the opportunity to buy a stone while overseas, I feel this would be a short cut which could make the experience a lot more fun. At the moment I spend most of my time away in Beijing, and if you think things are bad here then just wait till you try jewelry shopping in wangfujing or sanlitun :) .

The shops Chrono mentioned carry a lot of beautiful items, however if you buy a stone separately and want it set I thought I might mention that Kriss (who owns the store jewelry point at Far East Plaza) is fantastic (plus he has a cabinet full of different types of colored stones which is worth seeing in itself).

Edited to say: maybe Yvonne Raley can source something? Here shop is called Cecile Raley designs.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I used to live in Singapore and I believe it was me who introduced the PS community to Kris at Jewellery Point in Far East Plaza. He is a superb goldsmith and I would certainly recommend his services in making you a ring. However, I would not particularly rate his gemstones that high. They are nice enough but typical native cuts and his coloured stones are not certified so you really don't know what you are getting.

Here's what you can do... Contact Jeff Davies - he currently has a couple of extremely nice blue sapphires on his Facebook page - here's the YouTube video for one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izc0CoJT2tY&feature=youtu.be

I've attached a screen shot of the Facebook page. Jeff can also have the ring make for you - he does a great job - but if you want a more hands on approach with the setting, then Kris is your guy.

I never had any problem receiving stones from Jeff - either in Singapore or Dubai where I am now. If you want it GIA certified, he will arrange it for you - and you can negotiate on who pays for the lab report.

Good luck.

_37651.jpg

childofthestar

Rough_Rock
Oh my thank you guys for the speedy replies!

@chrono: those are the sites I visited! But I see more loose stones than those with rings. How do you suggest about my question. Loose ring or buy a ring directly? I don't plan on customising too much because I do not trust delivery service, in case this pricey purchase I make may not be the ring I really get at my doorstep!

I'll be in NYC for about 8 days.

@qubitasaurus: oh where are you from? Have you been to the Far East square ok that particular shop front? In Singapore I saw lovely designs on HeritageGems fine Jewellery and they carry brilliant and very pretty designs I'm looking out for.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAPlUliAGEB/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BACi9JvAGDU/
https://www.instagram.com/p/yQ6V-hgGJG/

The last link would be the best because id like the ring side to be empty (metal only, no diamonds) as I'd want my wedding band to be a diamonds-crusted ring.

@blingobsession: wow I looked up on Jeff and true enough he does have gorgeous stones with him! I'm assuming you might have gotten stones from him and got Kris to make you a ring from there? How were your past transactions with each of them like? And do you know of any SG sapphire Jewellers? But of cos I'm thinking since I'm heading to NYC, I'm just assuming they may have better stocks than what we have on shore here, hence posting this thread. Will appreciate whatever you recommend!

Thank you guys!! You've been helpful! My first forum post and boy, it's been informative and I appreciate all replies!

childofthestar

Rough_Rock
Btw! Just another question: does anybody know of any reliable Etsy sellers who has shop front or based in NYC itself that we may meet them to look at their stones??

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi OP - I moved to Dubai from Singapore (where I lived for 12 years) just two years ago. And boy do I wish I still had regular access to Kris.

When I lived in Singapore, I would buy my gemstones from PS recommended dealers like Precision Gem, Spectral Gems, Jeff Davies, etc. and then have them set in Singapore by Kris. I went to a number of jewelers in my time there but he was truly outstanding. Really fair prices and a genuinely decent man and a superbly skilled craftsman - there aren't many more like him left. So yes, if you can source a lovely stone, take it to Kris and he will do an amazing job of setting it for you. I used to take in lots of pictures and say, I want the claws from this, the basket from that, the band from that and the halo from that and he would bring that vision together into a masterpiece. I loved the hands on process - particularly when it was a difficult piece for which there was no "copy this" option available to me. Do allow enough time for Kris though - don't give him a job and expect an overnight turn around - count on waiting at least 6 weeks, if not longer, for a piece to be made. It's always worth the wait, I promise you.

Having said that, I have bought some magnificent (and expensive) stones from Jeff and had him set them and I've also shipped stones to him to set for me when Kris was too busy and I had a deadline of some kind to meet. Again, he's really good. But that face-to-face experience with Kris is hard to beat. I really enjoy that process. I have worked remotely with Jeff and had some really gorgeous pieces made for myself and friends of mine (at the request of their husbands/partners) and it has always been a pleasure, great quality and very good prices.

Personally, in 12 years of living there, I never found anyone in Singapore I trusted enough to by coloured gemstones from, to be perfectly honest. The PS recommended dealers are safer and the quality is far superior and they are also cheaper. But more importantly you know what you are getting in terms of cut, quality and treatments.

Reach out to Jeff for your sapphire and see what he can get you - he has sourced and cut stones to order for me!

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

:wavey:

PS I do still use Kris - I get my husband to bring stones to Singapore when he's travelling - the whole process takes quite a bit longer though but the quality is as wonderful as it always was. And note, Kris is in Far East Plaza (the one next to the Hyatt on Scotts Road) not Far East Square on Orchard Road.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can either get the stone and setting from NYC or just the stone alone. I'm not overly concerned about the setting quality in S'pore but the stone quality there is definitely lacking. I wouldn't sweat it if you don't see a setting that you like at Prima or DBL, but that's the reason I wrote that you should give them a heads up on what you want to get. They don't have a huge selection on hand but if you reach out to them ahead of time (a few week's notice), they might be able get exactly what you want without any customization.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm an Aussie :). I have also had Kris set things for me and been really happy with the result. I have never actually bought a stone from him, as like BlingObsession mentioned they are not certified (and while I trust Kris, I am not sure I want to unilaterally trust his supplier; who is obviously an unknown for me). I mention the colored stones, because 1) I have a great time looking through the cabinet at them; but also 2) they clearly indicate that he is adept at setting softer stones.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just realised you were asking about etsy vendors local to NYC -- I would definitely look at cecile raley designs etsy store. It is possible she may be able to find something for you (and may even be willing to transact the sale in person -- I guess it never hurts to ask :) ). I am attaching the picture of the unheated ceylon sapphires I ordered from her recently (and yes these will be going to Kris as soon as I can decide on what type of gold I want them set in).

20160312_144146.jpg

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
qubitasaurus|1467082088|4049059 said:
I'm an Aussie :).

Meee toooo!

hahhahah. :lol:

Pretty little sapphires - I had a pair like that set in white gold studs to use with my diamond jackets. Very versatile.

childofthestar

Rough_Rock
Hello guys! I dropped by Kris this afternoon (he's just less than 5 mins away from my office, Yay!). He's from Hong Kong and not too fluent in English so we conversed more in Mandarin. He quoted me about 1000 SGD for the design I want - diamond crusted halo and the ring. He seems to be pushing for me to find my own Sapphire and he doing the setting for me. Not sure if it's because his dealers may not carry many Sapphires for me to choose from.

The price he quoted me isn't too far off from other jeweller who quoted on the setting as well. The only reason I have strong enough to go to Kris would be on all of your recommendations about him so far. I want to ask tho, does it matter about the quality of the diamond halos? Does Kris uses better quality small diamonds than others?

childofthestar

Rough_Rock
BTW guys, I'm looking more for royal blue Sapphires. And I understand the premium to pay for this colour especially for natural unheated ones. How do you guys suggest if I should go for this colour? Should I be open to look at slightly treated Sapphires for a lower cost? Not sure the pros and cons and if it's worthwhile going after a lower quality one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour is what sets the price, so I would go for a heated top colour. I'd rather get a gorgeous heat treated blue sapphire than an average untreated blue sapphire.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BlingObsession|1467102798|4049116 said:
qubitasaurus|1467082088|4049059 said:
I'm an Aussie :).

Meee toooo!

hahhahah. :lol:

Pretty little sapphires - I had a pair like that set in white gold studs to use with my diamond jackets. Very versatile.

That's awesome! I don't really know any Aussies here (actually my current plan for finding another Aussie to witness my postal vote in the upcoming election is to wander table to table in Brunetti's at Tanglin mall and just hope I stumble across someone.) so your post made my day.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Never had an Aussie bling sister while I lived there dammit. Why don't you move to Dubai?

As for witnessing your docs - did you check with ANZA?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would have loved that :appl:. Thanks for the advice about ANZA, I will go check them out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results