shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire ring too good to be true?

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Hi lovely Pricescopers,

I haven’t been around much lately (although I do still come and read posts)
I have been trying to get my business back up and running again.
I just came across this post on a FB group I’m in and am wondering if this seems too good to be true? What am I missing? Is it the window ? and/or the quality of the diamonds that is making this under $8000 Australian dollars?
I’m getting that too good to be true vibe here…
If anyone wants to buy it … let me know and I will share the persons FB profile with you for contact.
544552DA-CCE0-4F9B-BABD-87F3E7D82018.png

Attachments

• 760B031B-4AE3-41BA-83A4-4DC3F9E342CA.png
    760B031B-4AE3-41BA-83A4-4DC3F9E342CA.png
    937.6 KB · Views: 95
  • FEB47B98-D6CB-4C63-A47B-EE6CA15C045E.png
    FEB47B98-D6CB-4C63-A47B-EE6CA15C045E.png
    778.9 KB · Views: 97

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
There's no way I would spend that much $$ without a reputable report. If it's synthetic which is what my gut says, it's in no way worth that. They would have to prove it to me.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Hi lovely Pricescopers,

I haven’t been around much lately (although I do still come and read posts)
I have been trying to get my business back up and running again.
I just came across this post on a FB group I’m in and am wondering if this seems too good to be true? What am I missing? Is it the window ? and/or the quality of the diamonds that is making this under $8000 Australian dollars?
I’m getting that too good to be true vibe here…
If anyone wants to buy it … let me know and I will share the persons FB profile with you for contact.
544552DA-CCE0-4F9B-BABD-87F3E7D82018.png
There's no way I would spend that much $$ without a reputable report. If it's synthetic which is what my gut says, it's in no way worth that. They would have to prove it to me.

The whole wording of the post - and the obvious fact it isn’t *cornflower blue* so I am to assume they are lying about the rest to? Usually things that come from an estate sale come with some type of valuation. I’m surprised a stone this size wouldn’t have its own paper work (if what they have written is true).

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can ask for the seller to get a nanyang gem lab report if its sitting in singapore. While not a big name lab, it's known to be highly reputable/reliable.

Are you sure the price is in SGD? Often online sellers list in USD even if they're sitting somewhere else in the world.

Finally it's heavily windowed. For me this would be off-putting.

If you're looking at SG jewelers you will probably like gemgardener (look for their etsy) who also own cinematic ornaments and singaporeislandjewelers. They've got a lot of inventory in this style, and old peranakan which reminds me of what you're looking at with the heavy/elaborate setting.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just came across this post on a FB group I’m in and am wondering if this seems too good to be true? What am I missing?

Why would a knowledgeable vendor know less than you about the appropriate value and pricing of this piece? So if you or I think it is a bargain, we are obviously missing something. They are professionals in this industry and know enough to describe it as an unheated cornflower sapphire but they are too lazy to know what the comparables are? Not likely, imo.

Assume that the color is less saturated than the phone photos (always the case for blues). Assume that the obvious window and monster tilt windows will be even more irksome in person.

No doubt it is objectively a pretty ring. Plenty of folks here buy mediocre sapphires and adore them -- they are transparent and blue and sparkly. If it's genuine, this would be a fun ring to own and wear, no doubt. I don't think it is likely to be a remarkable bargain.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a lovely ring but why can’t they include a photograph of the valuation / report that shows the gemstone details?
If there was a money back return policy I’d consider it but these Insta sellers, advise that you approach and treat with caution.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
They have said it isn’t coming with a valuation (it’s being sent to Melbourne Australia) - then they will get the vauktuin from the most reputable people there.
They said they don’t have paper work for the stone and have no intention of having the stone removed from the setting to get it.
Someone has already comment *Sold pending safe arrival and valuation*.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They said they don’t have paper work for the stone and have no intention of having the stone removed from the setting to get it.

A common deception by the unscrupulous; there is no need to unmount the stone to get a reliable report. (They can not get a precise carat-weight or perhaps precise depth but easy to tell if it is: a) genuine; and b) treated.)

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
A common deception by the unscrupulous; there is no need to unmount the stone to get a reliable report. (They can not get a precise carat-weight or perhaps precise depth but easy to tell if it is: a) genuine; and b) treated.)

Completely agree

whimsicism

Rough_Rock
I agree with @LilAlex, and will add that some labs might require gems to be unmounted before grading (this might also depend on the specific type of certificate that is being sought), but Nanyang Gemological Institute in Singapore definitely is not one of them. I've seen plenty of NGI certificates for mounted stones, so the whole "we didn't want to unmount it to send to a lab" sounds deeply suspicious to me.

Edit to add: If you look at the posts on this page, there're plenty of examples of NGI certificates for mounted stones. And in fact this page gives me the general impression that the store prefers to get gems certified in the settings that they are to be sold in: https://www.instagram.com/asiatiquefinejewellerysg/?hl=en

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results