shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire question - is this a window?

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
Hi all - first time posting, I've been reading for a while as I am looking to replace a very dark sapphire in a ring so I've been learning a lot what to look for in a replacement. I'm currently evaluating 4 sapphires that I ordered and received yesterday with a 7-day return period. I really like the color performance of one of them across a variety of lighting settings and I like how it's a bit "sleepy" (which seems to make it stay more blue in different lights rather than going grey), but I am a little concerned about what might be a window in the center and I'm not sure how this would look when set. The stone is round, 6.2mm wide and 3.5mm deep. Here are three pictures, two in direct sunlight where it looks like you can see through to the foam below (though it's still blue), and another in indirect light where although the center doesn't appear to be as sparkly as the edges, it does look consistent in color:

IMG_1131.JPG IMG_E1023.JPG IMG_1034.JPG

That second picture also shows the ring with the stone I intend to replace. Here are 2 angles of the ring with its current stone to give you an idea of the setting and how much light can get in:
three-quarter.JPG side1.JPG

And here are some videos of the stone on my hand in assorted lighting since I know still photos are hard to evaluate!

Solo in my kitchen (some of the worst lighting in my house!)

Daylight indoors, indirect lighting along with two other stones. Stone in question is closest to my knuckle

Dark room, lighting from cell phone (closest approximation to fluorescent lighting I can do since I don't have any in my house). Stone in question is closest to my knuckle

Direct sun & then shade (indoors) - Order reversal here, the stone in question is farthest from my knuckle.

I do not have a lot of experience with unset stones so I can't really tell - is this a window? Any idea how it might appear when set? Is there any other angle or lighting I should check?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 20

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
window_.jpg

Yes thats a window. Some windows can be diminished by the setting, sometimes they just cannot.

Windows in general happen when the stone is too shallow or, at times not enough facets in the right spots if not shallow. Tilt windows are kinda normal though, so don't get too freaked out by those. But one that you can see straight on like in your image and the image in this post, yes, def. window.

IMO that is a very shallow cut stone, one where there's no guarantee that it will close in a setting. I would want something deeper cut to avoid windowing.

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I wasn't sure if a window was something entirely colorless or just sort of "flat", since this does stay blue in all angles/lighting I've tried, just not as dark as the outer part.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, definitely a window. Too bad, because I like the color! Can I ask where you got it?

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
Yup, definitely a window. Too bad, because I like the color! Can I ask where you got it?

I love the color too! All of these are from Gemfix. I'm reluctant to decide "no" on it just yet since the color is great and it's pretty hard trying to find a stone to fit a setting and this one is the right size, but I don't know if that window would be problematic when set.

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
The bottom one on the dark room video looked amazing!

Yeah, it's unreal how much it glows in that kind of light :) The vendor description for it said something like "lights up like a neon sign in fluorescent light" and I figured this was the next best thing since I don't have easy access to that kind of lighting, and I was not disappointed :)

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Did you buy all three so you could take them home for viewing? Or they were taken at the shop? I’ve been wanting to visit gemfix for a while.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bummer about the window, but I would keep looking. I really came here to tell you I love your little kitty!

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
Did you buy all three so you could take them home for viewing? Or they were taken at the shop? I’ve been wanting to visit gemfix for a while.

I actually ordered 4 online (two are very similar, just a 0.2mm difference in depth and I'm terrified of mixing them up so I do not take them out of their cases at the same time!) I'd love the capability of seeing all their stock in person, but at the same time I'm learning a lot being able to take my time and see how these behave in different lighting. When I'm done reviewing these, I think I'm going to compile a bunch of different lighting conditions for each and post them under the vendor/owner pics thread since I poured over that a lot to figure out what the differences are between vendor glam shots and what to expect in person! Here they are under a relatively white indoor light:

IMG_E1079.JPG

Bummer about the window, but I would keep looking. I really came here to tell you I love your little kitty!

Aww thank you! <3
And I reached out to Inken at Enhoerning Jewelry after seeing a lot of lovely sapphires people are getting from there. Will definitely keep looking!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I'm done reviewing these, I think I'm going to compile a bunch of different lighting conditions for each and post them under the vendor/owner pics thread since I poured over that a lot to figure out what the differences are between vendor glam shots and what to expect in person!

Yes! Please and thank you!
Pretty ring!

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
I just posted a bunch of photos in the Vendor pics/owner pics thread, though I did send all 4 of them back so I'm not technically the owner. The #4 one was especially pretty in person, incredible sparkle and the color was really nice, but it was a bit too small for what I'm looking for now. The search continues! :D

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just posted a bunch of photos in the Vendor pics/owner pics thread, though I did send all 4 of them back so I'm not technically the owner. The #4 one was especially pretty in person, incredible sparkle and the color was really nice, but it was a bit too small for what I'm looking for now. The search continues! :D

See what Inken comes up with and Gary at Finewater Gems in in Sri Lanka on a buying trip, so he should have some new stuff shortly. (Not sure if he is back yet)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results