shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire engagement ring

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is my first post here and thus you guys don't know this, but the Pricescope forums were a HUGE help when my fiance and I were shopping for my engagement ring. I knew nothing about expensive jewelry going into this purchase, but lurking on PS for months gave me enough information to proceed.

I knew I wanted a sapphire center stone, and after having seen the icky sapphires on offer at the mall, I was ready to order online using some of the people who come highly recommended by people on this forum. My fiance was not into that because us picking my ring and stone out in person was very important to him. After going around and visiting just about every jeweler in the city, big and small, independent or chain, we ended up at Mariloff at the World Trade Center, which was the only place where the salespeople seemed to understand the phrase "sapphire center stone." I was initially going after fairly light and greyish sapphires, because I think those are gorgeous, but when they brought this one out I had to have it. I've contemplated getting it recut because there's some extinction (you'll see it in the pictures), but I don't know if that could be done without changing the surface size much. I've tried to include pictures with different lighting so you can see all the ways the color looks. Also, at the time I got it, I didn't pay attention to the prongs at all, but now (months and months later!), I wish I'd thought more about prongs early on so I could have had them made skinnier and not so chunky and bulbous. Overall, though, I am incredibly satisfied with it.

Anyway, on to what you care about:

Stats:
Cushion cut 2.06 ct sapphire, natural, untreated (I have LOTS more information on this from the GIA if I could only find where my fiance put it!)
Half moon sidestones, 1.57 ct total, G, VS2
0.72 ct total pave, G, VS2
Set in platinum 900
Ring size 4.5

Pictures!

eng0.jpg
This is the ring in its larval stage, the day we picked out the sapphire. The sample setting has a narrower band than the final setting.

eng1.jpg
The first picture I took of the completed ring! Indoors at night with fluorescent lighting and the flash.

eng2-2.jpg
Outdoor daytime lighting.

eng3.jpg
It pretty much matches the ocean.

eng4.jpg

eng5.jpg
Of all the settings we tried, the half-moons looked the best. A lot of times when viewing the ring straight on they kind of disappear, but this angle shows them off! The one thing about them is that they're not especially sparkly. The sapphire throws off a lot of electric blue, and the pave diamonds are constantly flashing different colors, but the half-moons don't do much of that. Is it that the half-moon cut in general doesn't lend itself to that? They look fiery under LED lighting, but that's about it.

eng6.jpg
Indoor, yellowy lighting.

eng7.jpg
Outdoors, late afternoon.

eng8.jpg
Outdoors, early evening.

eng9.jpg
Outdoors, early evening.

sparky6

Rough_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous. I am huge fan of sapphires, especially in a diamond setting! I love the intensity of the blue

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, you have a beautiful ring!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a beautiful ring! What a great choice, and it really looks lovely on you! Congratulations!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Glad you got exactly waht you wanted! Does the ring fit (proper size)--it looks like it might be too large for your finger...

cheers--Sharon

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ering! I adore the combo of cushion with half moons! Gorgeous Gorgeous!

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Congratulations, what a stunning ring!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
breathtakingly gorgeous!!!!! :love:

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I adore that ring! It is gorgeous.

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I love your ring! That sapphire is stunning :love: I don't know really know anything about half moon cuts so I can't help you there but from what I see in the pictures your ring is beautiful and very sparkly! Congratulations on your engagement!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that's gorgeous! i love it :love:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
beautiful ring!! love it :love:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It's fabulous, i'm so happy that PS was of help to you! Congrats! :appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's gorgeous! So glad that the folks here on PS were able to help you! It looks like it was worth it!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fabulous!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW that is the perfect color. I adore it and it looks amazing on your hand. I love the half moons too! Wear it in good health!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I really love everything about this ring - the size and color of the saphhire, the setting - it's just beautiful!! It looks fantastic on your hand, congrats and enjoy wearing this lovely ring!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I really do love it. We tried what felt like ALL THE SAPPHIRES IN THE WORLD in that setting, and that one just looked best. I initially wanted the center stone to be as big as possible (especially after seeing some of the amazing rings pictured on this forum), but even just a 3 ct sapphire looked silly on me. I love enormous engagement rings, but apparently not on my own hand! The size of this sapphire is just right for a ring I wear every day.

I hope the pictures conveyed the variety of color it shows - I hadn't ever owned a sapphire before (even though they've been my favorite gemstone since I was in first grade, thanks to a Boxcar Children book) and was surprised by it. Usually it looks cobalt or midnight blue, but sometimes it looks a little turquoisey and sometimes it looks really purple. In lighting that makes it look purple, I've had people ask me if it was tanzanite. I don't think it looks anything like most tanzanite! But there you go.

canuk-gal|1318337730|3037679 said:
HI:

Glad you got exactly waht you wanted! Does the ring fit (proper size)--it looks like it might be too large for your finger...

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, if I went down a full half-size, I wouldn't be able to get it on my finger, and if I just went down a quarter of a size, I wouldn't be able to get it OFF my finger. :D I do think it would sit better if I could get it just a smidgen smaller, but I don't know how feasible it is to make it smaller without making it so small it would hurt to remove. The wedding band fits a bit better on the lower (skinnier!) part of my finger, and when I wear them as a set, the engagement ring seems to fit better. Or maybe that's all in my head - after all, I've only worn the wedding band a couple of times since we're not married yet! (You can see, though, in the pictures where I wear it further up on my finger, closer to my knuckle, that the ring is sitting straighter, versus sitting crooked every which way when it's down on the skinny part of my finger.) I discussed the sizing issue with my fiance when he proposed (or, well, later that night, not as he was down on one knee) and again when we took it back for a final check at the jewelry store, and we concluded we'd leave it as it is. Though if you have any suggestions on what to do about this problem without causing it to be unable to fit past my fat knuckles, I'm all ears! I'm clueless about it, as usually I wear rings with really wide bands and have thus never encountered this problem before.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Stunning ring, congrats!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire is a perfect Ocean Blue!!! Beautiful Ring! :love:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely, lovely, lovely!!! Everything about the sapphire and ring are stunning. I especially love the pic in which the sapphire shows a slight teal color.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!!! :love: The sapphire is such a nice shape and color!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely blue! Sapphires are a very romantic choice for an e-ring. Congratulations!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sapph is just stunning! The perfect color blue in my opinion!

Congratulations :)

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1318397465|3038367 said:
I discussed the sizing issue with my fiance when he proposed (or, well, later that night, not as he was down on one knee) and again when we took it back for a final check at the jewelry store, and we concluded we'd leave it as it is. Though if you have any suggestions on what to do about this problem without causing it to be unable to fit past my fat knuckles, I'm all ears! I'm clueless about it, as usually I wear rings with really wide bands and have thus never encountered this problem before.

I have this issue with my rings, too. They are sized at a 5.25 which is the absolute smallest I can get over my knuckle, but my actual finger is prob. a 5 or smaller (once I miraculously got a size 5 over my knuckle and it felt just fine!). I wear 2 bands with my ring, so that tightens things up quite a bit and prevents the e-ring from spinning as much. You might consider sizing beads (little lumps of metal on the inside of the ring) to tighten it up once it's over the knuckle. I think I will have to get them or arthritic shanks when I get older.

Edited to add: I love your ring! The sapphire is awesome and the setting is amazing.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is a stunner! I love the color of the sapphire and the setting looks divine. Congrats!

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
wow! That sapphire is a gorgeous color! I'm not a huge fan of super dark sapphires, which yours isn't - it is incredibly full of life and just perfect. congrats!

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
What a perfect sapphire ring :love: :love: :love: Congratulations!!!

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Your ring is really gorgeous! I love sapphires. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results