shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Engagement Ring - Advice for a guy please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adams828

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I came across this site in my searches online, and am amazed at the resources and friendly advise - so I am posting in hopes I can learn more too!

I am in the process of searching for a sapphire engagement ring, but as I read more I became more intrigued yet overwhelmed. At first I was looking at sites such as bluenile and angara. Easy enough I thought. Then I read about how most of the common stones were heat treated, so I turned my search to natural sapphire. At this point I started looking at wild fish gems and natural sapphire co, with their beautiful stones. And finally I arrived here, seeing names of favorite vendors flying around - wow! Obviously I want the best for my girlfriend - so where is where I am hoping for advice.

I know she loves sapphire, so that will be the center stone. Of course a nice big stone would be nice, but I think I would lean more towards great color and cut over size. What do you recommend to look for in a stone? Any recommended places to look? I have no idea how much settings cost, but my budget is around $2500 plus or minus 250, so as much as can be put towards the sapphire the better.

As for settings, I know there are 2 she likes: pave, or a solitaire but with stones in the band, either in white gold. Stylistically, she tends to like more classic and simple things. Are there places that I could get both the stone and setting? Or would it be better to get a stone and setting separately and have it but together locally (maryland/DC).

Thanks so much in advance - if I missed any details let me know!!

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
what shape and color saphire does your gf like?

adams828

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/5/2009 12:10:11 PM
Author: giraffecushion
what shape and color saphire does your gf like?

Duh that would be helpful wouldn''t it? Blue sapphire, on the darker side. As for shape, I know she doesn''t like pear or heart shape, but other than that she is pretty open. I tend to think blue sapphire in round or emerald-ish shapes looks good.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I know that Natural Sapphire Co. has bunches of settings to go with their gems, but I've also seen that a lot of their cuts aren't really ideal.

Ditto giraffecushion: if you can tell us color, shape, and give us a few pics of the pave/channel band type ring she would go for, you'll have bunches of suggestions. :)

(eta: doubleposted :))

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and are you open to getting one of our favorite cutters to cut you a sapphire, or do you want to buy something already cut?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some examples from GemRite . . . I suppose I forgot to ask how you define "big".
1.gif

Gemrite 2.01c

Gemrite 1.5c

Gemrite Princess 1.2c

Gemrite Oval 2.46c

Gemrite 1.14c Round

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a 1.98 Oval from Precision Gem -- can''t link it directly, but it''s the second one down.

Precision Gem Sapphires

(heh, it''s so fun to shop for others . . . much easier for my husband''s pocketbook!)

adams828

Rough_Rock
I am definitely open to having something cut - that is why I am on here!

Attached - but perhaps with small diamonds on the band.

I am not sure how to link to specific posts, but on the page below, something similar to the ring of tourmaline_lover:https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colored-stone-e-rings-eyecandy.29435/page-35

As far as size goes - nothing specific really? I am still trying to figure out the ideal balance between size, cut and quality!

Sapphire_ring.1.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Also, try Concave Gems. They run a little higher in price, but the cuts are fabulous. I see a LOT of beauties in the gallery.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2009 12:44:09 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
Here are some examples from GemRite . . . I suppose I forgot to ask how you define ''big''.
1.gif

Gemrite 1.14c Round
LOVE THIS ONE!

but I also love Concave cutting, however with those some either love it, or not

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As For cuts, here are just a few examples

CuttingStyleround.JPG

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
Do you have any pictures of the setting type you like? It would give us a good idea of budget for the setting and a possible vendor.

One possibility is to work though Wink Jones who sells Richard''s concave gems
http://www.winkjones.com

I guess one last question is your timeframe? Is this something you want to have done in a week, a month, a few months? If it was me personally looking for the ring, I''d contact Barry at www.acstones.com for the saphire. I love his cuts but he might not have what you need right now and is temp not cutting. I''d look through a few pages in the show me the ring section and find a style you like and see who that vendor is and try and go through them for the setting. You''ll find that the costs of settings is usually related to quality and you can pick up a LOGR (lord of gem rings) for a few hundred dollars which is pretty good quality to a Leon Mege setting which are hand made excellent quality.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/5/2009 11:57:51 AM
Author:adams828
Hello all!

I came across this site in my searches online, and am amazed at the resources and friendly advise - so I am posting in hopes I can learn more too!

I am in the process of searching for a sapphire engagement ring, but as I read more I became more intrigued yet overwhelmed. At first I was looking at sites such as bluenile and angara. Easy enough I thought. Then I read about how most of the common stones were heat treated, so I turned my search to natural sapphire. At this point I started looking at wild fish gems and natural sapphire co, with their beautiful stones. And finally I arrived here, seeing names of favorite vendors flying around - wow! Obviously I want the best for my girlfriend - so where is where I am hoping for advice.

I know she loves sapphire, so that will be the center stone. Of course a nice big stone would be nice, but I think I would lean more towards great color and cut over size. What do you recommend to look for in a stone? Any recommended places to look? I have no idea how much settings cost, but my budget is around $2500 plus or minus 250, so as much as can be put towards the sapphire the better.

As for settings, I know there are 2 she likes: pave, or a solitaire but with stones in the band, either in white gold. Stylistically, she tends to like more classic and simple things. Are there places that I could get both the stone and setting? Or would it be better to get a stone and setting separately and have it but together locally (maryland/DC).

Thanks so much in advance - if I missed any details let me know!!
Hello Adams828:
I read you commented "Most common stones are heat treated".
I think it might be a better to say in most stones you commonly see heat treatment to improve asthetics.
In my opinion Sri-Lankan material presents a great price value, heated or non-heated.
21.gif

Magagascar has some great looking material also, usually heated.

There are sapphires which come from China, Cambodia, & Australia which are heated, but are rich in iron and can appear too dark or inky for my taste..

Some dealers and stone houses charge a premium for non-heated goods in conjunction with the locale the material came from.
I would set aside at least $800-$1000 for a setting. Plus or minus some money dependent on wether you want Pave. A nice Pave ring in 18k white gold would easily run you in the realm of $800-$1000, maybe even more. If you want to go with a classic solitaire look, with no pave or side stones your looking at around $600-$800.
Best case scenerio you will have $1500-$2000 to work with.
My advice is go with a nice heated sri-lankan sapphire, maybe a nice cushion shape, (with price in mind, there is a slight premium on rounds).
Emerald cut sapphres have that "stately" look and I definitely like the depth displayed in some of the fine stones.

There are places where you can get both the stone you are looking for and most vendors also have access to jewelers in most cases have their own bench jewelers they use to create your piece.

I am going to speak directly from experience..
There are many different cutters in which you can pick or source rough from and have a nice stone cut.
There are a myriad of jewelers who can give you access to different "designer lines" for a mounting for your stone...

In my opinion you want to find a great vendor who has many years in the industry who is looking out for your best interest, who listens, and who can tell you without any hesitation he/she can help you and find you the best stone within your budget and service your setting needs all in one.

I have bought stones from many vendors on this forum. One of my favorites who I keep coming back to and have 4-5 repeated purchases from in conjunction with some custom gold work for a pendant for my wife years back is Wink Jones from www.winkjones.com. I sing praises to Wink because he is a straight shooter and kind person who has many years in the industry. Like I said...There are always cutters, jewelers and vendors who all have great business ethics on this forum. He''s not pushy and is a patient person who listens and than tells you what he can do...and can source you a stone to meet your needs.

Regards-Josh
35.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
After all the great advice you got so far I''ll try to keep this short (although that might be mission impossible, but anyway...).

Setting - I know your budget is not in the clouds, but try to get a good quality setting, while avoiding anything that seems very inexpensive. It''s true that you can find a decent setting for not too much money at some sites, but this is an e-ring, and it should not only look nice, but also be well constructed, last a lifetime and accentuate the center stone. You don''t want a setting where the stone will stick too high up, has huge prongs that overwhelm, has bumps on the surface or areas of poor polish, or lacks symmetry and good proportions. And let''s not even go the "little diamonds started falling out a month later" route. If you''re not sure what is a good setting and how to recognize a good quality piece of jewellery, read THIS (you can also go three steps back on that page and read a whole section on conception of a piece) or post some pics here and someone will give you an opinion.

Stone - color is a key factor, but the stone should also be lively (not dead and boring to look at). Avoid foggy or hazey ones, or those with iregular outlines or huge windows (assuming you know what that is). Color shouldn''t be too dark as such stones look black in low light conditions, but also not too pale either - there should be a wide range of shade in it''s "mosaic" i.e. in the reflections of it''s facets. But the most important factor; buy what she likes, even if it means breaking all the rules as she will be the one wearing it.

And just one more thing; make sure you get a certificate from a gemological laboratory confirming the stone is natural and as stated by the vendor in terms of treatmants.

Hope this helps.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael E is also someone who can make you a custom setting as well as supply the sapphire.
If you search pricescope, you can see some of his work.

His website: http://www.gemshoppe.com/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
I am a guy and just went through exactly what you are asking about. I dont know how to link to it, but you can search my name if you want to see the pics and read the story. I have a couple of pieces of advice for you. My first is to let her pick the setting. Get online together and look at everything you can get on your monitor. Once she has picked "the setting" wait a week and revisit the subject just to make sure it has not changed! The stone is your part, but you have to know what she likes and dislikes as far as color, tone, and saturation. Once again look at hundreds of stone pics together. Keep a separate folder of her likes (pics) as you go through the sites. At the end of the process open that folder and make her pick her top 3 in order and label them that way. Now you have something solid you can go to either a vendor, or a lapidary ( cutter) with! My second piece of advice is to be aggressively " bargainistic" lol. I ended up paying $600 less for my wifes Simon G setting below the first number I was quoted just by playing 3 jewelers against each other. I took that savings and went to Jeff White with my 3 stone photos and said " gimme" lol All kidding aside do not expect this to be a quick process. I looked at thousands of stones by myself after I had her 3 top picks. When Jeff sent me a pic of " The Stone" I knew immediately that my search was over, and it will work the same way for you. Your drop dead perfect stone is out there, maybe right around the corner- you just have to put your time in to find it. You have made the most important step already by coming here and getting advise/education!

ETA The stones PS'rs are showing you are all very nice, but you need to know 100% what she wants before you do a lot of looking

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have to sit down and think about a few things before you start looking seriously.
1. Budget
2. Know the style of setting the GF wants to you can put aside $ from your budget for the ring.
3. With the remaining amount, figure out how big the stone would be. If too small, then something has to give.
4. Figure out which tone, hue and saturation you are looking for.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness that sapphire made my heart skip a beat, Chrono.

Can''t afford, don''t need. Can''t afford, don''t need. Just going to keep repeating it...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

adams828

Rough_Rock
Wow - first thanks to everyone for the advice! I knew I came to the right place =)

I''ve gotten lots of ideas on what to look for now, so I''ve sent some emails off to some of the more popular sites on here to see what they think of my crazy ideas! I''m thinking maybe something not oval or round - yikes this is starting to get exciting =)

Okay off to search the web for more blue beauties..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results