shape
carat
color
clarity

sapphire e-ring questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
We''ve been looking at engagement rings. We are looking at a few different types.

http://www.angara.com/Sapphire-Jewelry/Sapphire-Rings/568619_ARW0453-5/y

http://www.angara.com/Gifts/Thanksgiving-Jewelry-Gifts/700669_ARW0453SG-6.5/y

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mmm...not a huge fan of the sapphires in those rings. They look quite dark and perhaps not so well cut either..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so I finally got the link to work for me. I guess my browser went wacky for a bit there. Both sapphires are so dark as to look opaque and lifeless. A good sapphire should look like the one below:
http://www.angara.com/Sapphire-Jewelry/Sapphire-Rings/744731_ARW0453SL-6.5/y
Yes, I know it’s lab created but natural (heated and untreated sapphires) with that colour do exist.

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
Would it be odd though to have a lab created e-ring? I''m also wondering on the spinel? our price range isn''t that great.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Angara has different levels of stone quality. For a natural but heated stone they have their "heirloom" level of stones. For a level of quality below that they have their "best" stones. which are also heated.

Of course, it also has to do with color. There are people who prefer the navy look of some sapphires. But most people who are into gems prefer the brighter blue (more like royal blue). So the price goes up for the more vivid color. If you happen to prefer the navy, though, then that is a price savings for you.

Is there a budget that you would like to stay within for this ring? You may be able to find a better quality sapphire independently and then get it set in the mounting of your choosing rather than getting a set all together, depending on how much you want to spend.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 1:59:53 PM
Author: abrooke22
Would it be odd though to have a lab created e-ring? I'm also wondering on the spinel? our price range isn't that great.

Honestly, I think it depends on whether you'd be open to upgrading in the future. I personally would rather wait to get something perfect later on and have a cheaper stand in for now, than spend more for a ring I don't entirely love just so I can have it right now. But it depends on how you and your girlfriend feel about that arrangement.

Michael E can cut some gorgeous lab sapphires and set it for you for really reasonable prices, and you'll still have a beautiful ring.
http://www.gemshoppe.com/html/natural_gems.html

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
We would like to spend under around 500.. I love the ring design of that ring. We can''t come up with what stone to put in the ring. Dark blue or possible red are our current choices. Any suggestions? The ring design doesn''t seem to complicated. Any advice?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a lab sapphire he cut and set.

BarionBlue22.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a tight budget, I like to go to Gary Dutton of www.diamondexpert.com His blue sapphires are competitively priced for the colour offered. I take it you prefer a darker blue colour from your latest post?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 2:10:50 PM
We would like to spend under around 500.. I love the ring design of that ring. We can''t come up with what stone to put in the ring. Dark blue or possible red are our current choices. Any suggestions? The ring design doesn''t seem to complicated. Any advice?

If you go with red you can get garnets, they hold up well in rings and are nice and flashy. Also pretty budget friendly even in high qualities.

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
Would it be odd to have a lab created gemstone? BTW I love that ring. Are there people out there who could create a ring similar to that ring design?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 2:14:02 PM
Would it be odd to have a lab created gemstone? BTW I love that ring. Are there people out there who could create a ring similar to that ring design?

Probably, but at the sale price of 180$ for the one with the lab sapphire, it''d probably be cheaper just to buy that one and have it reset with something you like.

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
yes I prefer the darker blue sapphires.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 2:15:03 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Date: 12/14/2009 2:14:02 PM

Probably, but at the sale price of 180$ for the one with the lab sapphire, it''d probably be cheaper just to buy that one and have it reset with something you like.
Ditto. When one considers the price of the metal, the workmanship, the setting fee, etc, might as well get that one. As for the synthetic bit, I’m a bit of a purist and romantic, so I like to think that I’m getting something that nature created versus something man made or grown in a laboratory.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 1:59:53 PM
Would it be odd though to have a lab created e-ring? I'm also wondering on the spinel? our price range isn't that great.
It's up to you. If you're fine with it, and the recipient is fine with it, then it's a personal choice and no better or worse than making the personal choice to have a colored gemstone e-ring in the first place, or paying thousands of dollars for a shiny bit of carbon if you prefer diamonds.

I think you'll find that most people on this board prefer natural and untreated stones whenever possible, but this is a select group of gemstone and jewelry nuts, so there is definitely some bias in that direction.
2.gif
Most people won't even think to wonder. The average person on the street knows what a "fake diamond" is, but lab-created sapphires aren't quite so common (and are still chemically sapphires, whereas a CZ is definitely not a diamond).

As long as you know what you're buying, and your girlfriend is okay with wearing a synthetic, it is entirely a matter of how you want to spend your money.

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
I love this stone..

http://www.diamondexpert.com/diamonds/dbs.cgi?sf=detg.setup.cgi&active=active&stock=SP00163&submit_search=1

how do i find someone who can set it though?

thank you guys so much for helping me out!!!!

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
makingthecut... can you tell me more about that ring.. I''m slowly falling in love

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on where you''re going to purchase the setting. Lots of jewelers can set a sapphire.

btw, that stone you linked to is nice but as noted, has a window. You may want to ask him for any additional pictures if he has any.

It could be set in a typical 9X7 oval setting.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 2:32:16 PM
I love this stone..

http://www.diamondexpert.com/diamonds/dbs.cgi?sf=detg.setup.cgi&active=active&stock=SP00163&submit_search=1

how do i find someone who can set it though?

thank you guys so much for helping me out!!!!

I agree with Gary that it is a very nice blue, especially for a spinel but he also cautioned you about the giant window which is why I am advising you to not get this one. A window that large will be lifeless in the center and you’ll probably see the setting through the stone.

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
Am I able to use a spinel for an e-ring? are they strong enough for daily wear?

thoughts on these?

http://bkkgemstones.com/blue-sapphire-062ct-53mm-26mm-clean-round-p-2074.html

http://bkkgemstones.com/blue-sapphire-093ct-57mm-34mm-slightly-moderately-inclu-p-2068.html

http://bkkgemstones.com/blue-sapphire-087ct-57mm-33mm-clean-round-p-2757.html

http://bkkgemstones.com/malaya-garnet-205ct-80mm-48mm-clean-round-p-2797.html

http://bkkgemstones.com/pink-sapphire-125ct-74mm-56mm-clean-oval-p-627.html

any thoughts on using spinel for a e-ring?

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
Also, where exactly can i find settings for the gem?

thank you guys so much.. very helpful btw.
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, spinels are a good choice for an everyday wear e-ring. Keep in mind, just like sapphires, it is not advisable to bang them around either (wearing to the gym, doing yard work, etc).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy a loose stone from BKK ask Trent whether he can make a setting to your design (perhaps send him the photo in your first link). I bought a colour change garnet from him and he set it for me to my specification. It''s a very nice ring indeed and was incredibly reasonable. Trent always negotiates so don''t be afraid to ask!!!

exturkconner

Rough_Rock

Can it be used for an e-ring? You say that like there's some sort of rule. An e-ring is a symbol. What's important isn't what other people think it's what the little lady thinks and to a lesser extent what you think as well. If she thinks is a lovely ring and knows you put time and energy into finding her something she'd wear and it means something to her than I say job accomplished. I'm sure at some point during you're relationship you've had someone who didn't like you two as a couple. You didn't let that opinion dissuade you use that same strength of character now. Don't let what others say influence you in if this is acceptable or not. Only two opinions matter here because only you two will have to live with the decision.

Far as every day wear like others have said it's not something you'd want to be doing wood craft while wearing but it's a solid stone. No rings really going to stand up well to some kinds of abuse.

My GF is a paramedic and I knew she wouldn't be able to wear her ring under her gloves. It would tare them. But she is also very old fashioned and she believes that her e-ring should be worn at all times until a wedding ring is on. So I put together a chain with a lobster claw two way clasp as a pendant she can slip the ring into the clasp and wear it on a necklace during calls. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the most elegant.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If she's not limiting the design to solitaires only, I'd suggest thinking about three stone rings (one larger and one smaller on each of it's sides), cause depending on the stones in question, they can be very cost-effective solutions. Doesen't work every time, but sometimes it can save you some money to get better stones or a nicer setting. You can also ask her to think about shapes of stones other than round, cause some can provide larger stones with the same weight, cause they're not cut as deep as some other. But if you're on a tight budget, nothing wrong with synthetic stones as a temporary choice (or a long-term one, if that's your thing). You can also save some money by considering more affordable metals. If you're getting white gold, going with an alloy of lower purity (14 karat instead of 18 karat gold) will cost less while looking the same, and you can also think about alternative metals like palladium. Of course, reading as much as you can in order to educate yourself on the subject goes without saying. Good luck!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
re the suggestion of a garnet: it is not a 24/7 stone. sapphire is the better bet.

mz

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
Hello again everyone. Thank you so much for your responses. I''m still working on a ring. I can''t get over the price of the band. I''m still having a hard time. We have decided to go with a blue. I''m torn between a spinel and sapphire I''ve seen greats of each. We don''t mind if they have some stones on the sides. Don''t really like the 3 stone look. Any suggestions?

Thanks! =]

exturkconner

Rough_Rock
Whats your budget? What types of metals does she like color and weight wise? Is she a girl who likes clean sophistication or something a bit more jazzy? Does she do a lot of work with her hands (This matters as someone who works with their hands should usualy have a lower set stone as opposed to someone who does not and can have a stone out there for the world to see)?

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
She is a nurse. So a low setting would be important. largely prefers white gold over yellow. She likes clean simple looks. Price range I''d like to keep it under 600-700.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results