shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

michelel

Rough_Rock
1.gif
I recently saw a sapphire I liked on the Natural Sapphire Company''s website. It was #b458 and it is very reasonably priced at $410 a carat with the following specs.

Item ID: B458 Description :
Weight ( Ct ): 1.82
Color: Blue
Dimensions(mm): 8.04 X 6.91 X 3.41
Origin: Ceylon
Treatments: No Enhancement
Shape: Oval
Cut: Fancy Brilliant
Color Intensity: Medium Strong
Clarity: Insignificant Inclusions (VVS2)
Per Carat Price: $ 410
Total Price: $ 746.20

The problem is that the picture shows that the stone has a large table and is bottom heavy. It says that it appears larger than its carat weight. I like this sapphire, but I am worried that if I buy it that I won''t be able to have it set. I don''t know much about gemstones. Is it bad to buy a stone with a large table?

Michele

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
If it appears larger that it is it means in "Bangkok gem dealer" language that it is a bluff stone. Nothing wrong with that except that the stone has usually an important window, which is Ok if the stone is a little bit dark (so the window lower the tone) or has some inclusions to reflect the light up... and very Ok if you like the stone. In this last case I would like to add that a stone cannot be bad if you like it.
Usually flat stones like this one are not difficult to set, it is deep stones that present problems.
Anyway if you like the stone there should not be a problem as a good jeweller will create a piece of jewelry around the stone even if many jeweller prefer the stones to deserve their jewelry... LOL
All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results