shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire, clear blue with of medium tone and saturation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there where can I find a 6 mm round Blue sapphire that will not black out, always appear blue. Looking at a clear blue with of medium tone and saturation without any tint of green. Do not mind about the price preferred size 5.5-6mm. Thanks in advance!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure you''ll get many suggestions, but I just wanted to say that you can''t tell from the photo if the stone will hold it''s color well or not. For that, you need to see it for yourself and judge it in various lighting conditions. Generally, sapphires that hold color better are the ones with a somewhat sleepy, hazy appearance.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heated or untreated? Medium blue with strong to vivid saturation? Pure blue? Any hints of violet? Wink Jones found me a matched pair of blue sapphires that held its own under ALL lighting conditions. It is violetish blue, as I requested, but of medium dark tone with vivid saturation vB6/5. It never blacks out and it has minimal extinction. I’m very sure he’ll be able to get you a round B5/5 but be prepared to pay appropriately since what you are looking for is a very fine sapphire. If you want to search on your own, it’ll take more time to find the right one.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/3/2009 8:03:53 AM
Author: Chrono
Heated or untreated? Medium blue with strong to vivid saturation? Pure blue? Any hints of violet? Wink Jones found me a matched pair of blue sapphires that held its own under ALL lighting conditions. It is violetish blue, as I requested, but of medium dark tone with vivid saturation vB6/5. It never blacks out and it has minimal extinction. I’m very sure he’ll be able to get you a round B5/5 but be prepared to pay appropriately since what you are looking for is a very fine sapphire. If you want to search on your own, it’ll take more time to find the right one.

Untreated in anyway. Vivid saturation, medium tone, pure royal blue:) Tks will contact wink jones:) in the meantime pls keep more advises coming! tks!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a lovely search you are about to embark on. I do think it''s best to contact a vendor or cutter if you want something specific.

Good Luck!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Is this stone for a special occasion?
37.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/3/2009 9:38:00 PM
Author: AustenNut
Is this stone for a special occasion?
37.gif
mmm.. nope a little treat for myself. Contacted wink jones and was redirected to Richard Homer's page. I am not really into concave for sapphire though. Do you guys have other recommendation? tks!
28.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chic,
Richard Homer also does traditional flat faceting. You''ll have to email / call him to inquire. He cut my pair of Uruguayan amethysts this way.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tks Chrono! Are there anymore recommendation? anyone? I am having a hard time searching..
33.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
My sapphire that you commented on in another thread is from Jeff White.
It does not lose colour or go darker in any light.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
THIS ONE from Richard Wise could be a candidate, but it gives you an idea how pricey they get when you''re after a vivid medium blue (this one''s heated btw), which is pretty much top of the crop.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/7/2009 3:46:51 AM
Author: ma re
THIS ONE from Richard Wise could be a candidate, but it gives you an idea how pricey they get when you''re after a vivid medium blue (this one''s heated btw), which is pretty much top of the crop.

Wow that''s ex $$$$
6.gif
seems like it has a big window?? ok tks! Now I know this is the type of color for a top grade! I have a change in plan, now looking at 7X7 cushion sapphire (unheated), blue:)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/7/2009 3:17:21 AM
Author: arjunajane
My sapphire that you commented on in another thread is from Jeff White.

It does not lose colour or go darker in any light.
Tks! will check it out:)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 5:18:59 AM
Author: chictomato

Wow that''s ex $$$$
6.gif
seems like it has a big window?? ok tks! Now I know this is the type of color for a top grade! I have a change in plan, now looking at 7X7 cushion sapphire (unheated), blue:)
That''s not a window, but the way some of the pavillion facets reflect light. If it were a window, you wouldn''t see a rich blue color reflecting back from that area, just the background color (grey). Click on the grade descriptions and you''ll see it''s cut (proportions and brilliance) is rated as almost perfect.

BTW, I''d say this could be medium dark blue (judging from the photo by my non-expert eyes), so a bit darker than what you''d want, but it''s close enough I think. Medium blue would be something closer to the cushion on the lower left end in THIS photo, but such stones are super rare in respectable sizes and equally expensive.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if a 7 x 7 mm unheated cushion will cost less than the blue sapphire Mr Ma Re posted, I suppose it depends on the shade of blue you're after. Maybe you can try Dana at Mastercutgems and see what he has?

Edit: Stole this link from another thread, there's a few cushions on the website:
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/blue2.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RW''s sapphire example has a ever so small window and is too dark for my taste. Ma Re''s latest example shows a lovely medium blue and is more to my preference. Not to mention the super saturated colour!
30.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/7/2009 6:02:32 AM
Author: Lovinggems
I don''t know if a 7 x 7 mm unheated cushion will cost less than the blue sapphire Mr Ma Re posted, I suppose it depends on the shade of blue you''re after. Maybe you can try Dana at Mastercutgems and see what he has?

Edit: Stole this link from another thread, there''s a few cushions on the website:

Tks Lovinggems for the references, I think I had offended Dana in one of my thread on color change sapphire, whereby I was questioning about cut and had probably not used the most appropriate words.
7.gif
he does not reply my email anymore. Anyway do keep me inform should you come across any! btw how abput aussie sapphire?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 7:45:23 AM

Date: 12/7/2009 6:02:32 AM
Author: Lovinggems
I don''t know if a 7 x 7 mm unheated cushion will cost less than the blue sapphire Mr Ma Re posted, I suppose it depends on the shade of blue you''re after. Maybe you can try Dana at Mastercutgems and see what he has?

Edit: Stole this link from another thread, there''s a few cushions on the website:

Tks Lovinggems for the references, I think I had offended Dana in one of my thread on color change sapphire, whereby I was questioning about cut and had probably not used the most appropriate words.
7.gif
he does not reply my email anymore. Anyway do keep me inform should you come across any! btw how abput aussie sapphire?
I emailed Aussie Sapphire some months ago with a similar request but they didn''t have what I want, I didn''t persevere with my sapphire search (flighty nature lol). You can also try Michael E, he''s got access to Australian sapphires, please do a search because I don''t think we''re allow to post links to his website.

You can also try Jeff White (just look at AJ''s gorgeous sapphire
30.gif
), I think it''s just a little less expensive than the RW sapphire or similar, you should read AJ''s thread, she gave a lot of information on her search for the perfect sapphire.

Yes those Palagem sapphires are the perfect colour.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
hi guys! what do you think of this? It is a medium to medium dark blue sapphire with great color. The color is a blue with slight green. There is a little zoning but it is orientated to where it is not noticeable. This fact doesn''t detract from the stone at all

bluesapcush1a.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Can''t say I''m crazy about it. It is medium dark, but it''s color saturation isn''t strong enough for my taste, and that hint of green (not to mention zoning) doesen''t help. It does have some patches of nice color, but overall it doesen''t impress me.

Have you thought about some other blue stones? Is this for a ring?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/9/2009 5:50:29 AM
Author: ma re
Can''t say I''m crazy about it. It is medium dark, but it''s color saturation isn''t strong enough for my taste, and that hint of green (not to mention zoning) doesen''t help. It does have some patches of nice color, but overall it doesen''t impress me.

Have you thought about some other blue stones? Is this for a ring?
yes it is for a ring. ya just requested for some photos, the color is not what I am after.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 4:15:43 AM
hi guys! what do you think of this? It is a medium to medium dark blue sapphire with great color. The color is a blue with slight green. There is a little zoning but it is orientated to where it is not noticeable. This fact doesn't detract from the stone at all
Too dark, too grey, not vibrant in color IMO.

The Aussie one doesn't send me either. Too dark. If you like dark sapphires with grey, try a spinel. It's a lot more affordable than sapphires of similar coloration, and they're untreated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both stones are totally off the other spectrum of what you said you are looking for. The first has obvious zoning, green and the colour is not saturated. It is not what I personally consider a great stone. The second is also too dark and will probably not be as lively due to the cutting.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The second one seems better and I think is quite nice (but isn''t exactly the best of what''s out there), but it''s shape would (probably) limit you to only custom made settings, so if you''re looking for something affordable to set the stone in, this is not a good idea. It would also be risky to wear it, due to all the tips it has (those are all weak spots).

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/9/2009 7:56:14 AM
Author: Chrono
Both stones are totally off the other spectrum of what you said you are looking for. The first has obvious zoning, green and the colour is not saturated. It is not what I personally consider a great stone. The second is also too dark and will probably not be as lively due to the cutting.
41.gif
oops, pls excuse me as i am a real novice on this! do provide some guidance at your free time
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, but to have the budget to be able to afford one of those sapphires in the pala article..........sigh.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results