shape
carat
color
clarity

Sanity Check: Round 1.3 Carat with HCA of 5

SDJ88

Rough_Rock
Full disclosure: I dabbled in the online diamond education before two different coworkers highly recommended a jeweler they used for their engagement rings, so I kind of stopped there. Now, I'm pretty far into the process with this guy and I'm not sure this is really as great as my coworkers said. Trying to read up on all the guides and tools, but could really use a quick reality check from you guys.

Anyways, the diamond is this one: http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5172766937

Round 1.32 Carat
Excellent Cut, I color, VS2 clarity
Strong Blue Florescence
Excellent Symmetry and Polish

If I enter all the details into the HCA tool, I get 5.2 which seems pretty questionable. The jeweler says its bright white, no visible flaws, scores in the "99th percentile for sparkle production" - whatever that means. Given the measurements and score, could this actually be a nice performing diamond?

For reference, I'm being quoted $10K all-in, but that includes a somewhat reworked engagement ring that I'd estimate is about $2K.

Thanks for your help!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Read http://niceice.com/diamond-buying-secrets/5-minutes-diamond-buying-success/
and
http://niceice.com/diamond-buying-secrets/15-seconds-diamond-buying-success/

Todd of NiceIce used to be a Pricescope vendor. Those proportions that he preferred became the general guide that Gypsy usually gives people. There's a thread on here called "cheat sheet for rounds" or something like that, that might be worth a read, too.

Small table and correct depth and crown+pavilion combo gives good balance between fire and brilliance. Too much depth makes a diamond face up "small" for its carat weight; you pay for weight that you essentially can't see. There's nothing wrong with buying a diamond that doesn't fit that mold, but it's rather difficult to get valid comps to determine what price is fair for it. There are GIA excellent cut grade diamonds that most Pricescope people as well as AGS would not give that generous of a grade. Look at only AGS 000 diamonds if you really want to shortcut the process, because AGS has stricter grading standards for "excellent."

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SDJ88

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the feedback. It definitely seems like I can do better but I was feeling crazy since both my references raved about how much of a deal he was. I'll keep shopping.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck to you - we would be happy to look at other stones you find. Just hate to see people spend money unless they are getting the best deal possible!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SDJ88|1480303275|4103041 said:
Thank you both for the feedback. It definitely seems like I can do better but I was feeling crazy since both my references raved about how much of a deal he was. I'll keep shopping.

Unless people (your coworkers) have done a lot of research they may or may not know what a well-cut stone is. The cut is the most
important factor when looking for a bright, sparkly stone. The pavilion on that stone your jeweler is showing you is too high. The
AGS000 stone that MissGotRocks recommended has been tested/evaluated to have Ideal Light Peformance. Dont skimp on cut...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results