shape
carat
color
clarity

Same setting, two different stones?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you loved a setting, would you ever use it twice, on two different stones? Or would you prefer that all of your rings are different?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1452652145|3975143 said:
If you loved a setting, would you ever use it twice, on two different stones? Or would you prefer that all of your rings are different?
How unique is the setting?

If its one of your more ornate settings, I wouldn't... But say its a plain gold hammered bezel. I think that could be done more than once.

Also I'd probably consider, are the stones the same shape? Similar color? Similar size? Am I really just making the same ring twice?

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
I think it's also about how much you love the setting. Do you love it, or LOVE it (and can't imagine the stone ever looking "right" in any other setting)?

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I would use the same setting more than once if the stones looked great. If I find shoes I love I try to get them in different colors

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sungura|1452656561|3975213 said:
I would use the same setting more than once if the stones looked great. If I find shoes I love I try to get them in different colors

laughing...I was thinking I do the same for both sweaters and shoes.

But like Niel, I think it depends on how much a different look changing the stone will give the ring. But personally, it wouldn't bother me and why settle for a lesser setting that you love less - I rotate my jewelry so much, no one would notice.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thinking, dear NKTOB, is that with your passion and commitment to collecting gorgeous gemstone rings, you better start doubling up on settings, or you will run out of possibilities :lol:

All kidding aside, if you love the setting go for it. Its not like you will wear them simultaneously (right?) and knowing you, it would likely be tweaked somehow so that the halo/head/shank is slightly different, or the metal color is different, or the size is different...

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I have no problem with having same settings. In fact I do own two rings with exactly the same setting

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends. I usually prefer my ornate setting to be the only one that I have but don't mind a duplicate of a plainer setting.

S

SparkliesLuver

My overall answer would probably be no. However, my questions are:

-What about the setting do you love?
-Is there anything you could modify that'd make it different enough yet still have the same appeal?
-Are the stones the same shape and color?

You don't have to answer these - they're more for you to ponder. I feel like I'd want something about it to be different, whether it's in the gallery or profile, a different style of halo or shank or even a different metal. I realize you wouldn't wear them at the same time, but it seems a little redundant (in my personal opinion) to have two of the exact same ring, especially if the stones are very similar.

I can't wait to see what you're working on! :naughty:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is definitely okay in my book - I did it twice myself:
1. The 6-prong Solstice bombe solitaire setting -- both in 14kt WG, with one housing my 9mm round Pink Tourmaline, and the other has my 8mm round Tanzanite; and
2. Heart of Water's Lotus setting - one in rhodium-plated Sterling Silver with my 8mm round Purple Spinel; and the other in 18kt YG for my Mahenge Spinel pear (set east-west).

I agree with Chrono though - if we're talking an ornate setting, I wouldn't have more than one... any deets you can share, NKOTB?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
If it were something simple like a standard halo, I would repeat for additional stones (and I do!). For custom or more "special" settings, I'd prefer them to be unique looks in my collection.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to have a variety of different design settings. However, I like certain cuts more than others, such as ECs or modified ECs, and Asschers and squares with corners, and would not mind using the same ring setting design for different stones.

One of my favourite designs for Asschers is the one with two graduating baguette sidestones on each side, plain shank. For ECs, it is 3 steps on each side with paved diamonds, again, plain shank.

I only wear one ring on each hand, and one of them is always a diamond ring on the right hand.

It is highly unlikely that I would wear two CSs in the same or similar ring settings, one on each hand, at the same time.

DK :))

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Different. Or, at least, different parts of the body if you insist on doing the same setting for a similar stone. 8)

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your input. Here is a pic of the setting I am thinking and the stone. I would modify the shank somehow, if Julia would allow. I like the rose cuts, and the overall shape of the halo. I am not firm on this, though, as the stone would likely fit a standard setting, since it is pretty close to 10x8. So, I might look around at stock settings for a bit first. I was just curious what people thought and/or what you all do, in general. I have several rectangular cushion cut stones - not sure how I'll come up with completely different designs for them!

_1497.jpeg

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd look at stock settings and see what, if anything, grabs you. Personally, I love figuring out settings, so I'd enjoy the "challenge" of coming up with something different for each stone. But I also understand (and respect) that not everyone feels that way. I'm sure everyone would enjoy helping you with the process, if you want. ;-) :naughty:

(By the way, um, can we ask for a ton more pictures of your newest addition? :shock: :love: )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results