shape
carat
color
clarity

Sacrificing color or clarity? (VS2/I vs SI1/H)

Budo

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am searching for an e-ring and learnd here that I always should go for a perfect cut. I found some new interesting diamonds in my budget range.
Both are 1ct and excellent GIA cuts with 0. results in the HCA calculator.
Stone A: I - VS2
Stone B: H - SI1 (eye-clean)

Will I see any difference in H and I? I read that you can see the yellow tint in an "I" stone. Bur I also read, that you will see the yellow tint only from the side and the ring will have 6 prongs, so it will be hard to see the whole diamond from the side.

Or would it be better to go for the EYE-CLEAN SI1 (which will look like a VS2 to the naked eye) with a "whiter" stone?

Unfortunately I will buy the ring online, so I cant see the ring.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have specs or cert numbers for these stones?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i take the stance of being able to see what you pay for. If you wont be able to see the difference in clarity with youre eye, then i would call them equal. If you can see a difference between an I and H, and you prefer the whiter one, buy the H.

If you cant tell the difference, id probably use the cut as a tie breaker, Id probably base it off the table and LGF, as i like a smaller table and fatter arrows.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Assuming you are talking a Modern Round Brilliant-- neither if they don't have ideal light return. The H for me if they do have ideal light return and are eyeclean.

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1396839183|3648706 said:
Assuming you are talking a Modern Round Brilliant-- neither if they don't have ideal light return. The H for me if they do have ideal light return and are eyeclean.

Ditto. If it is eyeclean go for the higher color. By eyeclean I mean 12 inches away and hopefully only a small inclusion that is not on the table and/or can be hidden by prongs.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an H SI1 stone that I can see absolutely no inclusions in even with a loupe so it's possible to find a completely eye clean SI1 and a reputable vendor should be able to find one for you. All other things being equal, H SI1 would be my choice.

Budo

Rough_Rock
Hi, thanks for your inputs.
I saw on the GIA reports that the SI1 stone has the comment: "clarity based on clouds" and read that this will affect the brilliance. Another SI1 stone had a lot of inclusions in the middle. Then I found an I - VVS2 - 1ct - Triple X with excellent proportions (HCA: 0.6 - alle 4 categories "Excellent, 3 of them bold") and medium fluorescence. Well, I think thats a good stone and bought it. The stone will have 6 prongs (Tiffanys style), so you won´t see the stone clearly from the side and I think only experts will notice a difference from the top.

There is not much difference between I and H but a lot between SI1 and VVS2.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
I'd prefer H SI1.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The gemologist at the vendor would have to advise you on the clouds. Only someone looking at the actual stone can tell you if it affects that particular stone.

Budo

Rough_Rock
He told me, that the SI1 stones have clouds and that it could affect the brilliance.
Everyone is saying, that I should have bougth the H SI1. Is I that bad? Is there such a difference between H and I?

Well the stone I finally purchased:
1ct.
I
VVS2
Triple X

Depth 59.7 %
Table 58 %
Crown Angle 34.0°
Crown Height 14.0%
Pavilion Angle 40.6°
Pavilion Depth 42.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Thin to Medium, Faceted, 3.0%
Culet None

HCA Score: 0.6
I heard, that it is risky to go under 1. For what should I look when I see the diamond "live"? What could happen with that low score?

chrisan

Rough_Rock
So they are both round brilliants?
I recently found this website: www.diamonds.pro don't know if it's reputable, but I think some of the articles are really good. Especially the ones on color and clarity.
He basically says rounds masks color very well and you don't need to buy a higher color for the stone to look white versus cushions retain a lot of color and you will need a higher color grade for it to look white.
This is what he suggests:
Asschers, Emeralds, Princess: G-I
Pear, Cushion, Radiants: F-H
Rounds: H-J

Budo

Rough_Rock
Yes, they are round brilliants.

Thank you for the link, I found very interesting topics there. I ordered the stone yesterday but I was thinking about the option to change the stone with a H - VS2 and pay extra 500 USD but I think the proportions of my ordered stone are very well (although I heard that there is a risk with HCA 0.x Stones)

Budo

Rough_Rock
Yeah but I read the same often here in the forum. Medium FL = No Prob, Strong FL = Be careful

chrisan

Rough_Rock
True, you definitely have to actually examine a SBF. But I think here on PS, the consensus is milky/hazy SBF is RARE versus he is saying they are quite common- "usually" SBFs are milky/hazy.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
The lower the HCA score the better! You don't want to go over 2.0. A .6 should have excellent light return and fire. Hopefully you bought from a vendor with a return policy, that way if you don't like it - you send it back, no harm done.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Budo:

GIA 3EX is somewhat broad. Is it possible to get ASETs? The difference between I-VS2 and H-SI1 is minor compared to the possible different looks that are possible in GIA EX. You might find your questions best settled by an evaluation of light performance and ASET is the best way to make that determination. If you can get the ASETs and post them here the PSers will give you great insight and help you make the best selection.

I also noted you have said that the HCA score of 0.x concerns you - remember the HCA is a 'rejection tool' not a 'selection tool'. Anything < 2.0 on the HCA is going to be worthy of further investigation - with both of your stones being 0.x this is not a problem.

A quick note - Hello PS community. I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Brian and I will be commenting on behalf of B2C Jewels on the forum. I am hoping to provide productive information, reply to B2C comments/concerns as needed, and generally provide the management with feedback which is intended to sharpen our clients’ experiences. I know this is an amazing and unique community and look forward to participating.

About me: I have degrees in educational administration and music, and am pursuing my GG. Long-time members will know my brother, John Pollard, who is well-known in the industry for many years. I should definitely thank him for introducing me to diamonds and encouraging me as I pursued involvement here (thanks bro!). With that said, I know he casts a long shadow here and elsewhere in the trade so he will forgive me if I want to stand on my own.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results