shape
carat
color
clarity

Runners out there....

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I used to run in high school 16 years ago. Last July I wanted to change things up and started the couch to 5k program and have been running ever since. I run 3-4 days a week anywhere from 2-3 miles each time. In the last two weeks I can hardly run, seriously. I usually run at a 9 minute mile pace but I am thinking I am running at an 11 minute mile and it nearly kills me to do it. It''s as if my legs don''t want to work anymore. Has anyone else had this happen? Should I take a break for a week and go back to it?

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
From the sounds of it, I think taking a break might be your best first step. You could be suffering from over training, which is basically the result when your body just can''t keep up/recover properly. From what I''ve read/experienced, the symptoms can include things like trouble sleeping, soreness, fatigue, depression, etc. For me, the first thing I notice if I push too much without enough recovery time is my heart rate during my workout is screwy. Either it will skyrocket really quickly, or it will stay sluggish and I feel like my feet are totally dragging. A few days off from the gym with plenty of healthy food usually gets me feeling back to myself. Depending on how you feel outside of running, or if a break doesn''t help you recover, a checkup with your doc to rule out other causes would probably be a good idea as well.

Hope you feel better!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hello.

Ok, so you've been running 2-3 miles 3-4 days/week for nearly 1 year. IMO, I don't think you'd be suffering from overtraining as by now, your body should be used to it.
Have you been running outdoors? Heat/humidity really slow and/or tire some people, and it takes awhile to get used it.
Have you been strength training at all? Weight training is equally as important. It builds muscle and makes you stronger.
Has your diet changed? Are you getting enough fuel before you run? Are you consuming enough water?
Have you been stretching after your runs lately?
Sometimes you just have off running days where it's a struggle. It happens to every runner.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't even answer your question re: taking a break. For me, when I take a break, the first couple of days are always a little bit harder. Maybe you can "taper" for a week. Try one mile 3-4 days/week, or walking instead of running. Are you muscles sore? But, if you feel tired, a break is never a bad thing.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I am a 45+ miles a week runner, and I notice that I will hit a slump like that in a couple different cases...if I am over-trained (then I take a rest day and a get a massage), if my diet is suffering (at different times of month my energy needs change or I may be dehydrated) or generally...if I am somewhat sick (i.e. coming down with something). I may never get VERY sick, but there are times I notice that I will start feeling muscle aches and moving slower, and realize everyone in my office has a cold or something that my body is fighting off (and then I just go easy on myself running and make sure to eat well and drink lots of water).

And then...there are times I just have a bad week and every mile feels like five miles. I just let my body lead in those cases and don't worry too much about the "speed".

A an extra day or two break is never bad if you think you need it. Do some cross training (walk, or yoga, swimming) if you still want to do something. You get stronger "in between" workouts as your muscle fibers heal...and sometimes they seem to need more healing time than at other times!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 1:22:59 PM
Author: BeachRunner
Hello.

Ok, so you''ve been running 2-3 miles 3-4 days/week for nearly 1 year. IMO, I don''t think you''d be suffering from overtraining as by now, your body should be used to it.

Have you been running outdoors? Heat/humidity really slow and/or tire some people, and it takes awhile to get used it.

Have you been strength training at all? Weight training is equally as important. It builds muscle and makes you stronger.

Has your diet changed? Are you getting enough fuel before you run? Are you consuming enough water?

Have you been stretching after your runs lately?

Sometimes you just have off running days where it''s a struggle. It happens to every runner.

ETA: Sorry, I didn''t even answer your question re: taking a break. For me, when I take a break, the first couple of days are always a little bit harder. Maybe you can ''taper'' for a week. Try one mile 3-4 days/week, or walking instead of running. Are you muscles sore? But, if you feel tired, a break is never a bad thing.

It has gotten more humid in the last few weeks. I never thought about that bothering my runs. I did run last sat. early in the morning when it was cool and had an awesome run but because of our work schedules I have to run in the evening during the week. My diet is the same and no I don''t strength train. Perhaps I should switch out my studio kickboxing and trade that for strength training.

I appreciate all the advice and thoughts about this. I have active for most of my life and never been in a rut like this.

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
I''m a marathon runner/coach and triathlete currently training for an Ironman this fall. My guesses based on the training experience I''ve had over the years....

Very likely the humidity (that will slow me 30 sec-1 min per mile where I live b/c we have crazy humidity this time of year) - the last few weeks in the midwest have been rough on me with respect to training and I feel like I am running in slow-motion. Not much you can do about this one other than training very early, very late, or indoors to avoid it as much as possible.

or

Time of the month. I have dead legs about 2-3 days before I start pretty much through the end of my period. Doesn''t happen every month though....and diet helps.

The good news....if you are training for something....is that these hard days that you are able to push through help you prepare for the mental aspects of a hard/long race. However, you do have to make sure it''s not overtraining or illness that is causing it b/c that''s a situation you should rest through rather than push through. If in doubt, take a day off and do something different (swim, walk your dog, bike, watch TV) - a rest day won''t affect your overall fitness and might help in the long run.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results