shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby rose ring - opinions welcome!

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, a project I've had in mind for a while is a garden-themed ring, where the red stone is the "rose" or central flower.

I'm super keen for all opinions!

I decided on a lab ruby as I personally prefer them to earth-mined stones.

Some inspiration pics:

download.jpg m218r_1_master.jpg 2.jpg 9f7b7eba96fb1b053ca5c6ae31cb7190.jpg 9f52c2e6b5ebb7e51d9f8704f7ec6d4a.jpg

I quite like the idea of this one.. a vine-y bypass ring.
Do you think it looks better when the two sides only go half way around, or is it better when they reach the other side?

il_340x270.2433382761_rn31.jpg

e.g. halfway:

ruby bypass2.jpg

e.g. the arms reach the opposite side and effectively form a border/halo

ruby bypass.jpeg

And the next super important question - 18k yellow or rose gold??
I lean rose, but my husband leans yellow. I think both would be lovely. Argh!

All opinions welcome! :)

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Some additional inspiration:
Greenlake Jewelry:
twist.jpg
Annette Tillander:
annette_thora.jpg

The colored gem group recommends not putting red in rose gold for the most part as it decreases the contrast and makes it look more washed out.

That would be lovely!

Kind of like this??

images - 2021-01-11T222216.364.jpeg

Yes but perhaps with the 'petals' nestled closer to the centre stone and curved upwards instead of downwards... and the vine leaves along the shank instead of a plain shank. I think that would look stunning!!

If you decide not to go with RG if the contrast isn't as good with the red stone I would definitely do WG - the diamonds will blend into the WG petals!

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Greenlake Jewelry:
twist.jpg
Annette Tillander:
annette_thora.jpg

The colored gem group recommends not putting red in rose gold for the most part as it decreases the contrast and makes it look more washed out.

Thank you those look great! I really like the gentle twist in the first one. It gives it a real viney feel :)

And the second one is gorgeously feminine! :kiss2:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Greenlake Jewelry:
twist.jpg
Annette Tillander:
annette_thora.jpg

Well, I ended up spending a LOT of time browsing the Greenlake Jewelry website!
I kept gravitating to these viney, leafy designs.

greenlake1.jpg

I just love the details on this.
greenlake2.jpg

I spoke to David Klass since he has been so highly recommended here, and he said he could do a vine ring :)

I decided on a modified version of this:

il_340x270.2433382761_rn31.jpg

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the RG to the YG, personally. I think it looks more delicate and feminine.

I had been leaning pretty heavily towards RG! I think it looks more muted and feminine too, which is why, because the design I'm now going for is a little bit thicker and less dainty, I'm now leaning towards YG.

YG + red stones also tend to have a bit of a royal look I think. Who doesn't want to feel like a queen wearing a custom ring :D

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
The stone I will be using is this beautiful lab ruby from Precision Gem.
The domed cut was perfect to be my red rose.
As usual, photos (at least mine anyway) don't do the gem justice as it's hard to capture the glow that you see with your eyes, so I have tried to take video to show some of that sparkle.

thumbnail_2430.jpg

The first clip is probably closest to what I see.
The stone has now been posted so these photos and videos are all I have to enjoy for the time being.

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
The stone I will be using is this beautiful lab ruby from Precision Gem.
The domed cut was perfect to be my red rose.
As usual, photos (at least mine anyway) don't do the gem justice as it's hard to capture the glow that you see with your eyes, so I have tried to take video to show some of that sparkle.

thumbnail_2430.jpg

The first clip is probably closest to what I see.
The stone has now been posted so these photos and videos are all I have to enjoy for the time being.

It actually looks like a rose. So vivid

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I had been leaning pretty heavily towards RG! I think it looks more muted and feminine too, which is why, because the design I'm now going for is a little bit thicker and less dainty, I'm now leaning towards YG.

YG + red stones also tend to have a bit of a royal look I think. Who doesn't want to feel like a queen wearing a custom ring :D

Did you settle on the RG vs YG question?

My own Gene ruby is supposed to arrive in a day or two, although it is significantly smaller. How are you finding the light performance inside and outside?

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
It actually looks like a rose. So vivid

I have a vision in my head, I hope it turns out!

Did you settle on the RG vs YG question?

My own Gene ruby is supposed to arrive in a day or two, although it is significantly smaller. How are you finding the light performance inside and outside?

I've asked for 18k YG for now. There is still room to change my mind but I think YG will provide a nice contrast to the ruby, which is probably needed with such a busy design.

Ooo can't wait to see your ruby. What cut did you get?
The light performance is great in most conditions. It is lovely in indirect sunlight, but mesmerising under bathroom/downlights. I even love the light performance of the stone upside down. It gleams like those bicycle night reflector things :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results